Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on guys, I'm looking into getting an IS300, and I thought I should find out some info before I go ahead and just jump right into one.
I own a 98 Camaro Z28 right now, with quite a bit of mods on it and I absolutely love it. I'm cranking just a bit over 400HP (crank) and I'm looking to jump into the 12's. I've also done lots of autocrosses and just like messing around corner carving etc.
But I might retire this car soon and I'm looking at the IS300.
One thing that I'm really looking for is... When is Lexus gonna put a stick in the IS?? And while I'm sure there isn't going to be a lack for suspension components for the IS, I'm kinda worried about what kind of big power adders are in the market? Superchargers, turbochargers, even NOS? I'd rather run a supercharger or turbo than NOS but if that's the only thing in the market, I'll pump the car full of funny gas.

Last thing is, what breaks in these cars? Trannies, differentials, etc. etc.? For example, I'm on my 3rd transmission right now because GM puts a real crap transmission that can't handle much more than 450 ft/lbs of torque, and lets not go into the rear ends... a tiny 7.5" rearend for a car putting out over 300RWHP. Go figure.

So please enlighten me with anything that you guys can with the IS300! I know it's a relatively new market for this car and I can't expect everything, but tell me what you guys know.
Thanks!

------------------
Brian - 98 Camaro Z28 (A4 3.23)
==============
SLP Resonator Exhaust, JBA Headers, Collecter mod, FTRA, Direct Flo lid, Ported MAF, ASP Underdrive Pulley, Kenny Brown SFC's, HD Bilsteins, SLP SS springs, Hotchkis STB & PHR, RalphG special LCA's #0002, LG Motorsports Sway Bars, Chrome SS wheels, Powerslots, Carbon Fiber badges all around, clear corners, PIAA 1100x driving lights, Corbeau A4 seat and 5 point harness

Best E.T. 13.27 @ 105.3 mph
http://www.norcal-ls1.com/little_brian/

[This message has been edited by Little Brian (edited February 21, 2001).]

·
Registered
108 Posts
End of summer for the stick, around August I think. As far as things breaking, there is the plastic shield but not much else that I have heard of. Although I don't talk to everyone so there might be some other major problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
myIS300, thanks for the reply.
As for stuff breaking, I'm thinking of things that are big and expensive. Like on our cars, the pushrods are way too soft and they can bend easily. Many guys in our club have bent their pushrods missing a shift with their manuals. Or like the transmission and rear end as said.

How well do these cars take nitrous? Does NOS or NX have a kit for them yet? How big of a shot can I go with?

------------------
Brian - 98 Camaro Z28 (A4 3.23)
==============
SLP Resonator Exhaust, JBA Headers, Collecter mod, FTRA, Direct Flo lid, Ported MAF, ASP Underdrive Pulley, Kenny Brown SFC's, HD Bilsteins, SLP SS springs, Hotchkis STB & PHR, RalphG special LCA's #0002, LG Motorsports Sway Bars, Chrome SS wheels, Powerslots, Carbon Fiber badges all around, clear corners, PIAA 1100x driving lights, Corbeau A4 seat and 5 point harness

Best E.T. 13.27 @ 105.3 mph

http://www.norcal-ls1.com/little_brian/

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have no idea how well it would take NOS. TRD is coming out with a supercharger and some one on this board has a turbo setup. If you are planning on running the car hard or pushing some serious power out of that engine you might want to beef up the lower end. Other than that only a few people have put serious power to the wheels, so you would have to talk to them to see what would happen.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i don't have an IS but are you sure you want to go with the IS? looking at your current car it looks like you're making a lot of power.....and yeah...i htink you'll miss it? i doubt mods to the IS could make it feel as powerful as an american v8 =) sounds like you havea nice ride. welcome to the board

------------------
1997 5-speed Alpine White M3 Coupe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I'm not sure yet if I want to go with an IS. That's why I'm posting here to find out what can be done to them. At the bare minimum, I still want a car that can at least run in the high 13's and have handling to boot.
I've actually been having lots of pinging problems and that 13.27 @ 105mph run is pretty slow considering the mods I actually have. If I actually had the car tuned right, I think I'd be at ~13.1 @ 107mph or so. With a torque converter right now, I can easily be 12.8's even with a mild stall.
So while I'm deciding on what to get, hopefully you IS guys can give me a reason to spend an extra $6k for a car that's 2 seconds slower but will handle great compared to a stock Camaro!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Try posting the question in the 'Go Fast Stuff' category and see if Accord-R responds. He's the one getting the turbo kit, along with a slew of other mods.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
XSengineering and toyomoto both have turbos for the IS300, as for supercharger, SRT and TRD. TurboIS, is the owner of a turbo IS300, one of the few on the streets right now, make a post directing at him and see what you could find out.

clam: shedup, just because you feel stupid not getting an IS300 you dont have to persuade others to be stupid too. hhehe

------------------
Solar Yellow/Black IS300

1 - 9 of 9 Posts