Lexus IS Forum banner

TEIN Super Street Damper?

2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  nrkht 
#1 ·
Anyone use them? Are they any good? I would like to get them because of the price.

#2 ·
Tein SS

The ride in the beginning is really bouncy because the shocks need to break in. Once the shocks settle you'll notice a stiffer ride. Overall the SS is great for handling performance. There is occasionally a knocking noise coming from the suspension, I hear other people have this issue as well from similar suspension mods.

#4 ·
i think that they are great. i have had mine on for about 4 monthes already. i think the ride is stiff at the recommended setting of 6. i keep my front at 6 and rear at 7. i haven't adjusted them since i got them installed and probably won't. it's a good setup if you don't have the money for the flex. definitely a good buy.

#5 ·
Re: Tein SS

is300plp said:
The ride in the beginning is really bouncy because the shocks need to break in. Once the shocks settle you'll notice a stiffer ride.
A couple of questions:
1.) How long is the "break in" period?
2.) What damping settings do you have them set at?
3.) Do you have the EDFC?
3a.) If yes, then do you notice a large difference in stiffness between the top and bottom damping settings?
3b.) How does the lowest damping setting compare to the stock Lexus suspension in ride and handling?

Thanks for your help!

#6 ·
1) break in period - a month maybe, i dunno

2.) What damping settings do you have them set at - 6 in the front, 7 in the rear

3.) Do you have the EDFC - no EDFC, but you can get it for the SS

3a.) If yes, then do you notice a large difference in stiffness between the top and bottom damping settings - haven't tried driving with different setting yet.

3b.) How does the lowest damping setting compare to the stock Lexus suspension in ride and handling - someone else will have to answer

#7 ·
Re: Tein SS

miffysnack said:
1.) How long is the "break in" period?
Not sure if this is true - it might just me getting used to the stiffer ride. It does ride smoother after a month or two

miffysnack said:
2.) What damping settings do you have them set at?
Front 0 / Rear 0

miffysnack said:
3.) Do you have the EDFC?
Nope. Pointless unless you adjust it often for daily/track use

miffysnack said:
3a.) If yes, then do you notice a large difference in stiffness between the top and bottom damping settings?
I had it at F/R 6 and it was a lot stiffer than the 0 setting. Full firm is just going to be ultra stiff and not very drivable

miffysnack said:
3b.) How does the lowest damping setting compare to the stock Lexus suspension in ride and handling?
Softest setting is still much stiffer than stock or eibach/blisten combo because the spring rates are still F12 R10. Get the Tein CS (F8 R6) or Apex-i WS Dampers (F8 R6) if you need a smooter, more comfortable ride.

#11 ·
I just ordered by Tein SS Dampers from Carson Toyota today and I would like to thank all those that chimed in on this thread. They'll go perfect with my 19's I just ordered :D :p . Pics coming soon.

BTW, Carson is running a special on the SS's for 850 + 20 for shipping.

#13 ·
Well I had my Tein SS Dampers installed today and I must say MAN I LOVE THEM. The stance of my IS is mean and agressive looking. I went around a turn at a pretty good pace and there was barely and body roll.

Again thanks to all that helped me in my decision. 8)

#16 ·
I just got my Tein SS installed an hour ago and i absolutly love it. I got the Giovanna Seki's in 18"s. (hyper black on a GGP) I think it looks pretty good, I'll post pics as soon as i get a hold of a digi camera.

I got charged $250 for my installation, and I got some free bulbs :)

#17 ·
Don't forget to get the EDFC! You won't regret it! Installation was a breeze. You'll have more control over your suspension with these things.

jgotti_is300 said:
I just got my Tein SS installed an hour ago and i absolutly love it. I got the Giovanna Seki's in 18"s. (hyper black on a GGP) I think it looks pretty good, I'll post pics as soon as i get a hold of a digi camera.

#18 ·
lexowner said:
Don't forget to get the EDFC! You won't regret it! Installation was a breeze. You'll have more control over your suspension with these things.

jgotti_is300 said:

I think I will have to invest in the EDFC. Where can I get it cheap?

#24 ·
AltezzaBob said:
What do you guys think..
Should i get the TEIN SS's used for 680 shipped? (2000-3000 miles on them)
Or should i just get them new from Carson?
I would get the used ones, that you wont have to wait for the springs to settle. But if you like most people, they like NEW and all the things that come with NEW.

#25 ·
No i didn't get pillow ball mounts, the ride is still good (im not SLAMED yet tho...) and steering response is great. I need an alignment BAD and im getting that this weekend, so then I'll be able to test the twisties around town and give you guys a summary of the handling now vs. stock and everything...

#26 ·
dont ever get used shocks . ive heard it just -_- stupid .

used springs are okay. and 260 for installation?! is it that impossible to install by your self? i mean it says STEP TO STEP GUIDE with PICTURES OF THE SPECIFIC car...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.