Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying the SS coilovers, but how are they? Does anybody have them or recommend them??? I'm really skeptical about it because I want to either buy the SS or the CS coilovers. I know the CS is really good, but I would settle for the SS because of the difference in price. I'm looking for a smooth ride... any flaws about the SS if anybody has them??? Is it a bumpy ride?? Thanks... any help is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
RuGGyalteZZa said:
I'm looking into buying the SS coilovers, but how are they? Does anybody have them or recommend them??? I'm really skeptical about it because I want to either buy the SS or the CS coilovers. I know the CS is really good, but I would settle for the SS because of the difference in price. I'm looking for a smooth ride... any flaws about the SS if anybody has them??? Is it a bumpy ride?? Thanks... any help is appreciated.
BigJoeD has the SS ones, PM him maybe?
I know other guys on here have them, so here's a bump for ya!
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
I have the Tein SS's. I absolutely love em, but they may not be for everyone. The ride WILL be harsher on regular roads with bumps, but on the highway it feels almost stock. I chose handling performance over ride quality. I also like the fact that these coliovers are compatible with the EDFC, that I'll be getting in the next month or so.

I have my damper settings set at about 8 on a 16 setting, so to tell you the truth I dont know what the 1 setting feels like, could be just like stock for all I know, but I doubt it. So, if you want the stock feel, then these coils are probably not for you, but if you can handle a few bumps and want handling gains at a great price then these are for you.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, I'll be happy to answer.

I got my coils from Carson Toyota for 850. Call em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
like BigJoeD, i got mine from carsons for $850 i went from stock suspension to Tein HT w/ stock shocks to the Tein SS. i absolutely love the SS'. I have mine set at 7 fr and 6 rr for dampening. the ride is a little more harsh than the HT springs and there isnt much cushy feeling. nothing like stock either. they hold their ground when taking corners and onramps. when i first got the SS' i lived in IL so ride was harsh bc of the roads. but now that im in FL, its like smooth sailing everyday :lol: theres only one complaint is that there is a knockin noise coming from the rear and i havent isolated the problem. havent had time to mess with it but i just get use to it after a while.

Justin
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
Blitz_IS300 said:
like BigJoeD, i got mine from carsons for $850 i went from stock suspension to Tein HT w/ stock shocks to the Tein SS. i absolutely love the SS'. I have mine set at 7 fr and 6 rr for dampening. the ride is a little more harsh than the HT springs and there isnt much cushy feeling. nothing like stock either. they hold their ground when taking corners and onramps. when i first got the SS' i lived in IL so ride was harsh bc of the roads. but now that im in FL, its like smooth sailing everyday :lol: theres only one complaint is that there is a knockin noise coming from the rear and i havent isolated the problem. havent had time to mess with it but i just get use to it after a while.

Justin
I've heard of others with this issue but I have yet to experience it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,618 Posts
SS is very similare to HA w/o Pill mount.. I love my HA's

I'm pretty sensitive to damper setting so I usually have it full soft on the street. No it doesn't ride like stock.. It is still pretty firm.

No Knocking here. I do notice that when it is really cold like 50-ish the damper have some rubbery bump noise which goes away when it get warmer.

Maybe at the cold cold states it make a more louder damper sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks everybody.... I'm not picky at all. The SS coilovers sound good. I appreciate the help and suggestions. And by the way... Carson Toyota??? That sounds like the best deal I've heard of so far. Is that Carson Toyota in California???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Yo BigJoeD are you running 19's on 225/35's and do you experiance any rubbing with passengers.Oh and whats the finger gap on your drop and how low of a drop can you go with the SS's. Im looking into getting some in the near future. Lots of questions, thanks for your reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
I thought I was the only one that is experiencing "bumping" and thumping noises in the cold, but I'm sort of glad to hear others are having the same problems with the SS's. I noticed that poeple who experience this problem are the ones that have them set on the softer settings. I never had any problems while they were set on 8 clicks, but when I set them to the softest, I started hearing all kinds of noises, especially in the cold.

I'm thinking about getting rid of them and going with a higher quality set. If I were just looking for coilovers, I'd save some more money and go for something higher quality like the CS series or perhaps Zeal or HKS.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
If you want a smooth ride like stock, then get the CS. You will have the "stock" like ride, but with the adjustibility of a coilover. I had the HAs and now have the FLEX, I like the FLEX more because it is softer--not so jarring. The SS is a great coilover, but it seems like you want something closer to stock which would be the CS.
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
blinging lexus said:
Yo BigJoeD are you running 19's on 225/35's and do you experiance any rubbing with passengers.Oh and whats the finger gap on your drop and how low of a drop can you go with the SS's. Im looking into getting some in the near future. Lots of questions, thanks for your reply.
Im running 235/35/19 tries and yes ther was some serious rubbing with just me in the car, but I had my car slammed :) I've had my fenders rolled and no more rubbing. The tirerack rents rollers BTW. The finger gap is barely one finger now, since I raised the ride height a bit.
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
onyx_is said:
I thought I was the only one that is experiencing "bumping" and thumping noises in the cold, but I'm sort of glad to hear others are having the same problems with the SS's. I noticed that poeple who experience this problem are the ones that have them set on the softer settings. I never had any problems while they were set on 8 clicks, but when I set them to the softest, I started hearing all kinds of noises, especially in the cold.

I'm thinking about getting rid of them and going with a higher quality set. If I were just looking for coilovers, I'd save some more money and go for something higher quality like the CS series or perhaps Zeal or HKS.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
Hmm, im gonna have to set my coils to the softest setting and see if I start experiencing the clicking noises.

Amur, have you sent your car back to Lance yet?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top