Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone has tein flex on there car if so can i get feedback on how it handles thanks

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Yes, there are tons of posts saying they are great.

They suck.

Tein has me by the balls with the EDFC, but if in the right mood and I find the right deal on the coils I want, these things are ghost.

Short summary. After getting more and more seat time, I went from loving these coilovers to feeling they are pretty damn sucky.

The valving is crap, as edgy has mentioned before. It manages to make the car feel super stiff, every little bump while driving slow feels like a pot hole, but in the twisties they feel way way too soft. It feels like Tein did the math, but didn't spend a single second in an IS 300 with these to refine them. They got the front/rear spring rates right I suppose, and running without a sway in the rear the car F'ing GRIPS!! And when you get good tires and tune the car's balance, it reveals the very weak springs they go with. It gives a false sense of control, but further into the corner you go, the more body roll increases and your SOL. It feels like your going into the corner with a stiff aftermarket suspension worthy of the tires additional grip, then halfway through the corner all of a sudden you on stockies, and the car is rolling like no other. I hate the tuning style of stiff shocks, soft springs.

They were the affordable coilover back then, I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes, there are tons of posts saying they are great.

It feels like Tein did the math, but didn't spend a single second in an IS 300 with these to refine them. QUOTE]

As far as I am aware you guys in the USA get the same coilover as the jdm market which as you know the altezza vs a @JZGE powered IS300 is a much lighter car with the 3sge 4 banger up front. So that may lay in part of the problem, the flex's are tuned for a lighter car?

·
Registered
827 Posts
i have tein flexs they are fine with me i like got them for the edfc if not for that i would have got the hks hipermax

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
dr-jekl, its been so long since I bought these. I believe my fear was that these were JDM coils also, and also there was an issue with the "older" ones rusting, the newer ones having a coating to prevent that. But I did look into it with Tein and found out that there was different part numbers for the USDM ones. I was told the JDM ones are stiffer (US roads suck) and also the Flex spring rate reflects that they made a change for our front weight bias.

Now they might have been cheap and kept the valving rate for the different JDM springs. Being that the compression and rebound are not individually adjustable might make for the feeling that I can't tune it out.

I also know that not all shocks are the same, I guess there are many different types of internal workings they can choose from, and the teins give a feel that reflects the price. Stiff when slow, too soft when being pushed. It should be the other way around, like how Tokikco HPs are advertised as doing.

What I like is the EDFC, it does allow me to tune out a lot of "bumpiness" when on the SoCal freeways that are "warped" from the earthquakes. There is a resonance frequency achievable that makes for the car to become very smooth on the freeways, its pretty cool.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had these coils in 3 of my cars now.

A 93 240sx, a 95 240sx, and my current IS300. I guess I got these coilovers for Tein's reliablilty. Also because FLEX's are supposed to be the balance between track and street. And in my opinion, it does just that. It doesn't give a retardedly harsh ride all the time, but when you need the stiffness, it's there. Everyone has there own opinions, on the kind of suspension feel they want in there car. But for me, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sick with FLEX's for a while, as they don't give me a reason for me to go looking for another kind of coilover

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
anything form tein flex and above is fine, but the SS are just to stiff for daily driving.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I'll give the Flex/Tein this, over 30K of hard driving and LA streets, and no rebuild thus far except for the front right which was my doing.

Another thing to help the Flex in the twisties would be to lighten or get rid of the sun roof, I'd bet that would work a miracle. Other than that, i will have to go with stiffer springs/valve rebuild.

What scares me away from a valve rebuild is the very nature of their valving. The reverse of what expensive European cars and good aftermarket struts do, soft when slow, firm when cycled fast. They would need to convince me that they can change this dynamic in a re-valving, or I guess I can go with a very soft strut compression, very stiff springs, and a very stiff rebound to prevent "bounce". I know of one guy using this setup to make his car able to compete in SM, but its also streetable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Been running them myself for about 20k(They were on the car when I purchased it). Seems to have held up great over MANY potholes, and 2 winters so far.

It is a very stiff ride, but I have set to fairly stiff setting. I have never had issues with the back end coming out unexpectedly while hitting a bump mid corner. I have also received many compliments about my car having nearly zero body roll through turns. I am still running stock rubber so, I bet with some summer rubber I may find more faults but right now it is absolutely fine.

Can't wait to pick up the EDFC within the next year, should be able to tone the ride down a bit for the daily commute.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts