Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if Lexus is considering a CVT (continously variable transmission) possibly for 2002?... or is it more like 200002.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have heard nothing from Toyota/Lexus to indicate that they have any pending vehicles with CVTs.

My hopes for the next generation of high power CVTs are going with Nissan (XVL show car -> Infiniti X30) and with Mazda (on the Rx-Evolv - please - please!)

Ford/Jaguar have been playing with CVTs for a while and keep saying "any day now", but "wheres the beef?!"

I really want a CVT, but I guess I am going to settle for the best conventional automatic transmission in the industry (IS300/GS400)...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Toyota will start selling a CVT transimission for the first time on a car called OPA (1.8L Multi purpose car) from this August in Japan. Other manufacturers have CVT (or a slightly different name model) out already, (Nissan, Honda and Subaru for example). Its supposed to be more fuel efficient, but I hear that its not that much different from current AT trannies that have become incredibly efficient nowadays. There are no plans for introducing them in Lexus (or similar JDM models) as of yet. The main obstacles I hear are cost, noise and vibration, and maximum torque capacity.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wouldn't CVTs allow for maximum acceleration ? You can vary the wheel speed while keeping the engine rpm at its max power level.

--k

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
IMO, "CVT" is a misnomer since the transmissions being developed by automakers still have distinct numbers of "gears" (i.e., ratios) to use. It seems like the CVT's in development are just an evolution of the traditional automatic transmission.

But, yes, a "true" CVT (infinite ratio selection) will do as you describe.

Originally posted by chiem:

Wouldn't CVTs allow for maximum acceleration ? You can vary the wheel speed while keeping the engine rpm at its max power level.

--k

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
>> Wouldn't CVTs allow for maximum acceleration ? You can vary the wheel speed while keeping the engine rpm at its max power level.

This is basically true.

>> IMO, "CVT" is a misnomer since the transmissions being developed by automakers still have distinct numbers of "gears" (i.e., ratios) to use. It seems like the CVT's in development are just an evolution of the traditional automatic transmission.

That is not true.

_Some_ of the new CVTs "simulate" having discrete gears by having computer software jump to discrete ratios on the CVT... Why do they do this? Because like many new automotive technologies, many drivers are baffled by something "too different"... There really isn't any practical benefit to having you shift the CVT to discrete ratios, but consumers say "hey, I can relate to that - it seems familiar" - so they are offering it that way.

CVTs are exciting because new implementations (toroidal for example) are solving the "low power, high noise" issues that kept earlier designs from becoming commonplace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts