Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finnally broke down and bought a Techstream and cable. But I am have trouble getting it to communicate. Anyone who has this. Did you have and issues? I set the program to run under Windows 7 compatibility even others. But no luck. USB driver they gave was installed. Having no luck. Need some help please.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Did you buy an authentic Techstream or a “grey market” MiniVci? I believe the official Toyota cable will run on Win64 machines but the MiniVCI will not. If it’s a MiniVCI you have to get an old XP laptop and run it with that. That may have changed, so double check me.

The Toyota software has to be activated yearly (1200$) or you pay a subscription for a couple days at a time(55$). I’ve got an old version that came with my Amazon cable that works OK but it’s old so I can’t scan anything newer than 2012 I think.

See this forum

https://www.tundras.com/threads/toyota-techstream-software.22591/

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mine was only for 32bit when i first got it, so had some issues when i upgraded from a 32bit laptop to 64bit. I currently have it running on windows 10 64bit, managed to download a 64bit driver off the net which someone had generously recompiled to get it to work.

Im still running the old version of Techstream which came with the cable, i had a newer version but lost it when i had to reformat the drive a while back. Didnt really notice any difference, both versions are a bit slow and clunky to use.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you buy an authentic Techstream or a “grey market” MiniVci? I believe the official Toyota cable will run on Win64 machines but the MiniVCI will not. If it’s a MiniVCI you have to get an old XP laptop and run it with that. That may have changed, so double check me.

The Toyota software has to be activated yearly (1200$) or you pay a subscription for a couple days at a time(55$). I’ve got an old version that came with my Amazon cable that works OK but it’s old so I can’t scan anything newer than 2012 I think.

See this forum

https://www.tundras.com/threads/toyota-techstream-software.22591/
I will try some of the stuff they talk about tomorrow. It is a mini vim.. I will run is back under windows XP software on the older version.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was only for 32bit when i first got it, so had some issues when i upgraded from a 32bit laptop to 64bit. I currently have it running on windows 10 64bit, managed to download a 64bit driver off the net which someone had generously recompiled to get it to work.

Im still running the old version of Techstream which came with the cable, i had a newer version but lost it when i had to reformat the drive a while back. Didnt really notice any difference, both versions are a bit slow and clunky to use.
Thanks for the link and help. I will be trying a lot tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a version I was using for my GX470 and was able to use it on my IS. I forget if I used an XP computer or used a later windows computer with an XP emulator. But it worked fine on my IS. I did have to use a code to get it to work (or change a registry setting), but the code was available online. I guess that isn't very helpful, but after a bit of googling I got my answers. More importantly, all my doors unlock with one push of a button!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I work at Toyota and can confirm that the thecstreams made before 2010 all runs on Winxp, and still in use troughout the dealers to work on those cars. We've got newer techstreams for newer cars and keep them updated with the annual fees.

BTW for your information back in the day the Techstream came to us, We've paid nearly 15k canadian dollars for two of those computers

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I was able to get it working under Win7 32 bit. I have a dedicated laptop I use for running car diagnostic software.

There are cracked versions floating around the internet. When you buy a VCI cable from Ebay or Amazon the version that comes with the cable is one of the cracked versions.

My experience running it on my IS with engine swap is that it doesn't work at all. The software gets confused because it sees an IS body computer and a GS ECU. It freaks out. It worked fine on the GX470.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still no luck. Have installed under old window protocols. The 12/24 version I got to run for a little bit. But it locks up or kicks me out of the program.

Need some more help. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The problem with all versions of 64 bit windows is that it requires signed drivers. Older 32 bit OS's were pretty open to loading pretty much any old drivers. If it actually works then eventually locks up, it's probably not a driver problem. "Works" means actually pulling data from the car. No just running.

Techstream is simply terribly designed software even when it does work.

·
Registered
575 Posts
ok, im running 8.10.022 (8/10?). I have tried 9.?? and it was just as buggy as 8.10, so if they are anything to go by as Ek9B18 mentions it is terribly designed software. You have to be super patent with it, connecting to the ECU seems to take a minute or so, and then trying to access different parts of the ECU also takes a minute or 2. If I get frustrated with it and start clicking things to change after I have already made a selection it will crash out, usually this means i need to restart the whole PC to make it forget it was connected. (much eye rolling and cursing then lol). You just need to make a selection and then let it do its thing, when its finished make the next selection.

Originally i suspected it was having trouble accessing my ECU as i have to set it as IS300 for it to recognize the car despite it being an Altezza. But then it has the same issues connecting to my wifes Corolla, so i think its just Techstream.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ok, im running 8.10.022 (8/10?). I have tried 9.?? and it was just as buggy as 8.10, so if they are anything to go by as Ek9B18 mentions it is terribly designed software. You have to be super patent with it, connecting to the ECU seems to take a minute or so, and then trying to access different parts of the ECU also takes a minute or 2. If I get frustrated with it and start clicking things to change after I have already made a selection it will crash out, usually this means i need to restart the whole PC to make it forget it was connected. (much eye rolling and cursing then lol). You just need to make a selection and then let it do its thing, when its finished make the next selection.

Originally i suspected it was having trouble accessing my ECU as i have to set it as IS300 for it to recognize the car despite it being an Altezza. But then it has the same issues connecting to my wifes Corolla, so i think its just Techstream.
Well don't want to party breaker but the newer techstreams are not excellent either, Quite slow for being in 2019. So like EK said BE PATIENT with it. do not rush it!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried a few versions, and was only able to get the driver and registry keys to work with 32bit Windows. You can use XP, but I would recommend Windows 7 or 8/8.1.

The 64 bit with the driver download never worked for me. I work in IT and tried for several hours to get it to detect before downgrading to x86/32 bit and it worked immediately.

It's worth spending a whole $50 on an old netbook or small Thinkpad to install this on and just leave in the car for logging.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Toughbooks, like the one the real Toyota techs use are pretty dirt cheap in ebay and they're very durable. They're not $50 they're not hugely expensive either. I've never had a problem with TB's and I've owned them for years. They basically get too old to use before they break.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Toughbooks, like the one the real Toyota techs use are pretty dirt cheap in ebay and they're very durable. They're not $50 they're not hugely expensive either. I've never had a problem with TB's and I've owned them for years. They basically get too old to use before they break.
I can confirm that, we are still using the first ones we've had back in time (Panasonic Toughbook) And beside the fact that they are slow computers now they still do the work well and do what they are supposed to do. however the first one we had starts to show sign of wear, battery is not holding up for long and touch pad start to freak out a bit but we have this particular one for over 15 years now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts