Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this in the WTB section but that place is like a barren wasteland... So, if anyone has experience with the Tec3 and/or wants to sell or knows anyone who might be considering selling please hit me up. I'm looking to take this N/A build to the next level!!! Please feel free to post any experience/info with full standalones here too. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Any particular reason why you want to run a TEC3? It's not a bad engine management system but there are others available which I think are better.

Things to think about...

1. The TEC3 was designed to run with GM sensors so if you really want the engine to run correctly you'll need to use a GM intake air temperature and coolant sensor. You can splice into the stock MAF IAT and coolant but the calibration on those sensors are different. My old turbo IS would get weird coolant readings when my TPS acted up and it would cause starting issues. My old setup spliced into the stock coolant sensor. It would happen every 3-4 months.

2. The TEC3 requires a 60-2 crank trigger wheel. You can get a T bracket that mounts right to the oil pan but this leaves the crank sensor exposed to the elements unless you keep the plastic undercar shield, that should help guard it. My crank sensor and another member's failed and when they fail you're left stranded. I would highly recommend using an engine management system that relied on the stock crank & cam sensor. If you want the cam sensor to work with the TEC3, you'll need to modify the cam to have a 1 tooth tab.

Those are pretty much what I would be concerned about, other than that the TEC3 does have good ignition control. For a NA setup you might not need all those outputs, the TEC3 has 4 outputs 2 of them are PWM outputs which you might need.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any particular reason why you want to run a TEC3? It's not a bad engine management system but there are others available which I think are better.

Things to think about...

1. The TEC3 was designed to run with GM sensors so if you really want the engine to run correctly you'll need to use a GM intake air temperature and coolant sensor. You can splice into the stock MAF IAT and coolant but the calibration on those sensors are different. My old turbo IS would get weird coolant readings when my TPS acted up and it would cause starting issues. My old setup spliced into the stock coolant sensor. It would happen every 3-4 months.

2. The TEC3 requires a 60-2 crank trigger wheel. You can get a T bracket that mounts right to the oil pan but this leaves the crank sensor exposed to the elements unless you keep the plastic undercar shield, that should help guard it. My crank sensor and another member's failed and when they fail you're left stranded. I would highly recommend using an engine management system that relied on the stock crank & cam sensor. If you want the cam sensor to work with the TEC3, you'll need to modify the cam to have a 1 tooth tab.

Those are pretty much what I would be concerned about, other than that the TEC3 does have good ignition control. For a NA setup you might not need all those outputs, the TEC3 has 4 outputs 2 of them are PWM outputs which you might need.
great stuff. do you still have yours?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
is this going to be ur first standalone experience? Tec3 is a great piece of electronic but those GM sensors and crank trigger can be a bit tricky as lambchop stated. IMO AEM or haltech would be the best first step for you. AEM is relatively easy to play with and with an available harness should be easy to wire up. Haltech also is the same. GReddy makes an ok ecu but have heard from some people here and on the supra forums about having some weird issues. i have had expereinces with AEM and haltech (many people on here runs haltech and supported by SRT) and its pretty straight forward. anyways hope this lil review/opinion helps. i heard Motec is great too but dont have experience with it so i cant say much.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
great stuff. do you still have yours?
No I do not, when I handed the keys over I left everything in the car...BL turbo kit, JDM dash tray, Greddy catch can, Blitz SBC-id, TEC3, EFI 1000 wideband, LSportline sides & rear bumper, and TRD replica front lip. I didn't have the heart to tear it apart or find replacement parts to convert it back to stock.

The GM sensors aren't hard to find or expensive, my only complaint with the GM sensors is figuring out a way to install the coolant sensor. SRT machines their GM coolant sensors to fit perfectly in the head but I don't know if they'll sell them. Your other option is welding a 3/8 NPT bung on the coolant neck or buying an aluminum pipe that already has a 3/8 NPT bung welded on which will fit between the coolant neck and radiator like so:

Once you start using the TEC3 you'll find it's not extremely flexible like the AEM. The AEM allows you to literally configure everything, that can be a bad thing if you don't know what you're doing though. The TEC3 removes some of that control from the user i.e can't reconfigure the trigger, ignition dwell time, sensor voltage calibration, knock table, injector timing...well you can implicitly control the injector timing. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you're a not a control freak then it won't be a problem but what's the point of getting a standalone if you can't control everything. If you're adamant on getting an Electromotive engine management system I recommend taking a look at the TEC GT.

If you're planning to keep the car NA, I would suggest looking at the Greddy Emanage Ultimate. You'll have the fuel & timing control which is pretty much all you need.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I do not, when I handed the keys over I left everything in the car...BL turbo kit, JDM dash tray, Greddy catch can, Blitz SBC-id, TEC3, EFI 1000 wideband, LSportline sides & rear bumper, and TRD replica front lip. I didn't have the heart to tear it apart or find replacement parts to convert it back to stock.

The GM sensors aren't hard to find or expensive, my only complaint with the GM sensors is figuring out a way to install the coolant sensor. SRT machines their GM coolant sensors to fit perfectly in the head but I don't know if they'll sell them. Your other option is welding a 3/8 NPT bung on the coolant neck or buying an aluminum pipe that already has a 3/8 NPT bung welded on which will fit between the coolant neck and radiator like so:

Once you start using the TEC3 you'll find it's not extremely flexible like the AEM. The AEM allows you to literally configure everything, that can be a bad thing if you don't know what you're doing though. The TEC3 removes some of that control from the user i.e can't reconfigure the trigger, ignition dwell time, sensor voltage calibration, knock table, injector timing...well you can implicitly control the injector timing. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you're a not a control freak then it won't be a problem but what's the point of getting a standalone if you can't control everything. If you're adamant on getting an Electromotive engine management system I recommend taking a look at the TEC GT.

If you're planning to keep the car NA, I would suggest looking at the Greddy Emanage Ultimate. You'll have the fuel & timing control which is pretty much all you need.
super cool for taking the time to inform me of your opinion. cheers and +rep.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
super cool for taking the time to inform me of your opinion. cheers and +rep.
No problem, take a look at this forum if you're still interested in an Electromotive engine management system.

Electromotive Group - Index page

The head Electromotive project lead as well as support engineers are on that site. They're not bad engine manangement systems, just not the best bang for your buck though. Keep in mind I was running an older version of firmware, going through the list of bug fixes, there were about 2 bugs that were addressed in the newer firmware. I could never upgrade mine due to old hardware. Again if you're really interested in Electromotive I would suggest the TEC GT. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.