Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
7906Those of us that were fortunate enough to attend Lexfest 2005 at Team Lexus' Baltimore, Maryland headquarters were treated to what was one of the highlights (if not the highlight) of the event itself: a drifting demonstration by the master himself, Chuck Goldsborough. And, mesmerizing and memorable as it was, what we saw was, at best, Team Lexus' 2nd-generation drift car (powered by a naturally aspirated 300 hp engine). Little did any of us that were there that day imagine the monster plans that Chuck and his crew had in the works for their 3rd-generation drift car.
<P>As Team Lexus' original press release stated: "With mild success at the track, it was deciding that Team Lexus needed to do something that would not only make the cars more competitive on the track, but also make them so powerful that it sounds like a Viper or GTO driving by...(T)his time around they definitely put in more bite to back up the bark." The body and basic car is still a converted 1st-generation Lexus IS300 from the old Grand-Am Cup program, but significantly upgraded. In fact, that may be an understatement, since the highlight of the upgrades is a Turbonetics T-70 turbo, which, as installed and massaged by engine builder Quicksilver RacEngines of Frederick, Maryland, more than doubles the Team Lexus Drift IS300's power output to an eye-opening 638 hp. Also included are a custom intake and Borla exhaust, front mount intercooler, Ron Davis radiator, and MSD ignition. As far as suspension modifications, this IS is sitting on a custom lower ball joints to allow for an increased steering angle, custom JRZ dampers, and Road Magnet springs.
<P>Several months after the mechanicals were being sorted out, C-West USA came on board, providing an Altezza SXE 10 body kit from their DRFT line. Finally, the 3rd-generation drift monster is complete. Its public debut was at the recent première of The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift in Hagerstown, Maryland (the 3rd-largest première in the U.S.). To see it in action, however, you'll have to be a bit more patient. Current plans call for it to debut in the 2007 season of <A HREF="http://www.formulad.com/home.php">Formula D drifting championship.</A> Don't worry, we at my.IS will keep you updated.
<P>Our thanks for this story go out to Team Lexus owner/driver Chuck Goldsborough and to their Public Relations & Marketing Manager (and, presumably, liaison to Lexus USA corporate) Leroy Alfred Taylor III, who also happens to be a member of the my.IS community (screen name Apex84). Mr. Taylor, by the way, will be glad to take and answer selected questions about the new Lexus IS300 Formula D drift car. Just submit your questions as replies to this thread. They'll be forwarded to Apex84, and he'll answer the best ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Does "Quick Sivler" have a web presence ? I'm too lazy to sift through Google on a common phrase like that :D

<p>[Webmaster: adding the word "racengines" might help, but it doesn't look like they have their own site. You can see some pictures of their shop from the 2006 Lexfest <a href="/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=545">here in our gallery</a>.]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
QuickSilver web presence

You can try this out:

<P>Quicksilver RacEngines
<P>Sandy Shamlian<BR>
4603 Wedgewood Blvd.<BR>
Frederick, MD 21703<BR>
voice: 301-698-9009<BR>
fax: 301-698-8132<BR>
[email protected]

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the questions that we have received thus far:
<P>From turbo den:<BR>
Does this car have different (from stock) suspension pick up points? Or is it using the stock location? If stock location, what is the alignment setting you use for drifting?
<P>From OCIS:<BR>
Are there any other modifications done to the control arms besides bushings? What are the spring rates F/R? The few times I saw the car during the 2005 Formula D season I noticed the cars looked very difficult to drive. What were Chuck's and James' concerns about the cars and what have you done to address them? (horsepower/angle)
<P>And one from me:<BR>
I noticed that, for the 2004 season, Team Lexus participated in the U.S. Drift series, whereas for 2007, you will participate in Formula D. Please explain to us that don't follow the drift scene all that closely the reasons for this change.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
From turbo den:<BR>
Does this car have different (from stock) suspension pick up points? Or is it using the stock location? If stock location, what is the alignment setting you use for drifting?<BR>
The cars do use the stock pick up points for the suspension. As to the exact alignment, I am not sure as to the camber we were running due to the fact that we will be changing it as we develop the car further.

<P>From OCIS:<BR>
Are there any other modifications done to the control arms besides bushings? What are the spring rates F/R? The few times I saw the car during the 2005 Formula D season I noticed the cars looked very difficult to drive. What were Chuck's and James' concerns about the cars and what have you done to address them? (horsepower/angle)<BR>
In regards to the steering angle, we use modified ball joints to give us increased angle. The same has been done to the Supras, GS's, and SC's that are out there drifting due to the fact that they all share similiar stock suspension components. The problems that Chuck and James ran into were not enough angle at first, as well as low power, which has been resolved with the turbo. I'll get back to you on the spring rates.

<P>From jruhi4<BR>
I noticed that, for the 2004 season, Team Lexus participated in the U.S. Drift series, whereas for 2007, you will participate in Formula D. Please explain to us that don't follow the drift scene all that closely the reasons for this change.<BR>
We moved to Formula D from U.S. Drift to compete in a larger venue and make a name comparable to what we did in Grand-Am. This move was nothing against U.S. Drift, but we felt that with the amount of exposure the FD was receiving, it would be the best place for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts