Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one is more bang for the buck?
They pretty much put out the same amount of power - and both are upgradable (raising the boost / changing the pulley)

Which one would you choose and why?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
since the price difference between TBKO kit w/ headgasket and none is $500...you might as well just use that kit for comparison, IMO. :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
After seeing the Vortech kit in action last Saturday, I would choose the S/C over a stage 1 turbo. To me the S/C kit is just way easier to install and tune. It will also be much easier to remove come smog time then a complete turbo kit. I know both kits are upgradable, and the turbo will bost better #'s with upgrades, but it would be hard to make a choice without seeing them both in person. I saw the Vortech kit run and was very impressed. I can imagine what it would do after being upgraded to a stage 2.
The main reason I'm going to get the Powerdyne kit is if needed you could remove the kit, and get the car back to stock in 4-5 hours in you're garage. A complete turbo kit would be a whole different story for the average person to remove. just my opinion.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i can say i agree with deftones on this issue, as i saw the vortech on saturday as well, it just completely blew me away as it showed it's raw power. no questions in my mind here, for practicality, reliability, and power is concerned, an S/C will be more than sufficient for me. and i've always been a hard one to convince to get a certain product, and the vortech is definately worthy investment

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
The turbo is just as easy to remove. And since with TBKO you dont have to cut any holes, I wouldnt see a problem. Just depends on how much power you want.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
i would think the wear and tear factor would lead me down the S/C path, however I am in the same boat as the original poster on trying to decide which one I would truly want.

damn you TBKO and your nice price point!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The TBKO stage 1 will put out about 310-320rwhp (auto--according to Jeff) and 320-340?rwhp (m/t), whereas the PLP Vortech will have about 250?rwhp? (auto) and 280rwhp (m/t--Mike's current IS). You would be giving up a bit of whp between the two. The turbo will cost more to install, but it is $500 less in price. I am still deciding between the two :-?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stick said:
The TBKO stage 1 will put out about 310-320rwhp (auto--according to Jeff) and 320-340?rwhp (m/t), whereas the PLP Vortech will have about 250?rwhp? (auto) and 280rwhp (m/t--Mike's current IS). You would be giving up a bit of whp between the two. The turbo will cost more to install, but it is $500 less in price. I am still deciding between the two :-?
I think you are looking at the PLP Powerdyne sc and not the vortech sc

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
there is no stage 1 or 2, its just the tbko turbo kit

anything above the capabilities of the kit is considered custom

-gte

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
goldark said:
stick said:

Mike had his Vortech at the Carson meet and he said in dynoed at 280rwhp (he had a m/t). Maybe the auto will dyno at 265rwhp?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mike had mad power coming outta his Vortech.. thats for sure.. he cant even hook from 1st to 3rd... and he's on 19's. so if u ask me.. power is definetly there... just if he can get it to work with the auto... then i know a handfull that is game. including me. :crazy:

keep it up Mike.

sOlo

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yes, 7psi 280whp manual with 19" rims (due to the brakes). We are not posting any dyno's until we have another local Vortech install with factory rims. One thing you guys have to remember is some of the extra power from the turbo comes from removing the factory cats. Do the same to any PLP kit and you will see 5-10% better numbers. PSI for PSI the turbo will be slightly higher since the sc's are more parasitic in its design.
Mike

stick said:
goldark said:
stick said:

Mike had his Vortech at the Carson meet and he said in dynoed at 280rwhp (he had a m/t). Maybe the auto will dyno at 265rwhp?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
IS Pilot said:
Yes, 7psi 280whp manual with 19" rims (due to the brakes). We are not posting any dyno's until we have another local Vortech install with factory rims. One thing you guys have to remember is some of the extra power from the turbo comes from removing the factory cats. Do the same to any PLP kit and you will see 5-10% better numbers. PSI for PSI the turbo will be slightly higher since the sc's are more parasitic in its design.
Mike
Mine's on factory rims. I'm happy to volunteer as a tester...and I'm local :wink:

but I'm sure you probably meant a paying install :p

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
hmm...maybe it's time i go FI (on the lexus that is)...

·
Registered
947 Posts
i would gladly let you use my car as a test. i am local and casn go with out the car for you to install the s/c. it is on stocks for now.

blue_j said:
IS Pilot said:
Mike
Mine's on factory rims. I'm happy to volunteer as a tester...and I'm local :wink:

but I'm sure you probably meant a paying install :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts