Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's finally done :D

First off I would like to thank Jeff @ TBKO and Scooter/Scott @ Dudes Performance for putting up with me.
I bought the kit from TBKO at the end of October. It was delivered to me in in the beginning of November.
I had the standard kit with a few extras. The gauge pod, black powder coating, bigger fuel pump, and a polished ATI Procharger unit. I also ended up with 2 EGTs gauges and a boost gauge.

After getting the kit I contacted a couple of shop around my area. This is where Dudes Performance came into play. They've been a part of Chicago Lexus Club this year and they really wanted to get involved with us and provide us with great service and products.

I dropped my car of at Dudes Performance on Saturday November 15th. They started working on it on Monday the 17th. I was the first person to install the kit outside of TBKO's shop. The kit did not come with instructions, but my installer (Scooter) was very confident in being able to install the kit since he worked on previous Vortech and other superchargers for the domestic cars. Jeff also stepped up to the bat and provided his time and expertise to help move things along.

Things didn't start as smooth as I wanted them to. The first day we noticed that a piece was missing from a kit ($3 part) - a quick call to Jeff, and it was on it's way over to the me. But Jeff also send the same part to the shop as well, just in case I wasn't able to drop it off quick enough (thanks again!). Then the install moved smoothly from there.

Scooter, decided to copy some things from the SRT kit. He mounted the intercooler core a bit differently to make it a bit more sturdy, and instead of putting the power steering in front, he tucked it in (just like SRT kit does). The rest went along smoothly (though it did take some extra time since Scooter had to talk to Jeff on the phone, check out pictures via email, etc).

Finally he finished and got the car running. However, the extra (7th) injector wasn't firing. My setup was running lean on the dyno above the 5500 rpm range and my EGTs were really high. A quick call to Jeff and they eventually figured it all out. However, at this point I was a bit anxious and wasn't getting a good feeling (I got cold feet). After having a conference call with Jeff and Scooter they advised me against pulling the kit and just sticking it out (thanks!). Jeff also stepped up YET AGAIN and understood my concern for the extra labor/costs involved and more than made up for it!!!

Finally, the car was done and ready to test on Tuesday Nov. 25th. It didn't get on the dyno until Nov. 26th and pulled an impressive 277 rwhp on the first run. However, that was not recorded. So below are the two regular pulls after the initial power pull. My best run was a 268 rwhp and 252 torque. Not bad for a stock exhaust/header combo.

My future plans include the stage II upgrade (13 psi) and lowering compression via headgasket and studs. I will also install a full exhaust, racepipe and header combo, wideband and some transmission work.

Once again - I would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to Jeff @ TBKO www.tbko.com (for putting up with me, answering all of my questions, and for selling a kick ass kit)
I would also like to thank Scooter and Scott @ Dudes Performance www.dudesperformance.com for a clean and awesome install, for keeping me informed and involved through the whole thing, as well as all the pictures.

Before putting the kit on - I did a baseline dyno run. I did three pulls:

Dyno 1 - 183.9 HP / 193.3 TRQ
Dyno 2 - 186.7 HP / 197.4 TRQ
Dyno 3 - 183.3 HP / 192.9 TRQ

all three were - SAE Horsepower.

Here is the dyno after I added the supercharger (everything else is still stock):

And the finished product:

Feel free to shoot me a PM with questions and I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Congrats Man

Jeff does have great service and was great person to talk to for a few question for him i had on here a lil bit ago

Do u have any more shots of the FMIC like a farther away shot of the bumper and FMIC

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Did you have to cut the frame of the car for the IC piping in this pic? It looks like it, but I thought that you didn't have to for this kit.
:-?

There are some dots for the good write up, but now you have got to tell all the downsides and problems that occured during installation :wink:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Downsides?
Not being able to drive my baby for a while.
Anxiety attacks and lack of sleep from worry :D (even though Scott and Scooter did everything to make me feel better)

Other than the longer time - due to being first to have it done outside of their shop - I can't think of anything else.

We did have a fuel hickup - but that was fixed and it wasn't as big of an issue as I made it out to be (still learning).

Can you be more specific about the piping?
Which one? the one by the outlets or the one that has the BOV and is pictured on the left of the supercharger core?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
goldark said:
Which one? the one by the outlets or the one that has the BOV and is pictured on the left of the supercharger core?
The one on the left, but did you have for other parts of the piping? And didn't you say something about the charger being to close to the abs unit? :-?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DegoIS said:
goldark said:
The one on the left, but did you have for other parts of the piping? And didn't you say something about the charger being to close to the abs unit? :-?
Yes we cut into the frame to insert the intercooler piping.

The ABS unit is close if you ask me. But Jeff is addressing that now. All the kits will have a new bracket for the ABS (not relocation is needed, just a different height/angle).

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
goldark said:
DegoIS said:
goldark said:

The ABS unit is close if you ask me. But Jeff is addressing that now. All the kits will have a new bracket for the ABS (not relocation is needed, just a different height/angle).
Why did everyone with the kit tell methat you didn't have to cut into the frame for the i/c piping? :-? That's weird. Wtf. Thanks anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Every IS with an intercooler has to cut into the frame. there's just no room or way around it. Only if you're non-intercooled will you not have have to cut a hole in the frame.

Kane

DegoIS said:
Why did everyone with the kit tell methat you didn't have to cut into the frame for the i/c piping? :-? That's weird. Wtf. Thanks anyways.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
DegoIS said:
goldark said:
DegoIS said:
goldark said:

It's not the frame it's the sheetmetal that's under your stock airbox. No structural integrity. Also, mine didn't route that way so it didn't have to cut it. I like this design better and was the one that recomended it when I had mine. It allows for the use of Xerd header if wanted and keeps the pressure pipe cooler. Mine came up from below just behind the s/c, and next to the header. It saved the space and from having to cut, but it wasn't worth it in my mind. This is a better placement. Trust me, after you put a s/c on a 3.5" hole in that will be the least of your concerns. ;)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
So, where does the intake piping run to? Why is it right next to the header? Does that hurt performance?

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
goldark said:
DegoIS said:
goldark said:

Hey Goldark..does your supercharger go pssssssssssssssstttttttt like a turbo?
Just wondering :oops:

Your asian friend,
David

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VVTIS said:
So, where does the intake piping run to? Why is it right next to the header? Does that hurt performance?
It goes down next to the header. We are working on figuring something out so we can route it over the abs and into the stock location (like an aftermarket CAI would do)

Does it hurt performance? As the engine gets hotter I would say yes. I would say that it will lose a few horses.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mr.Is300 said:
goldark said:
DegoIS said:
goldark said:

Your asian friend,
David
I will post a video soon so you can hear and see.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Mr.Is300 said:
goldark said:
DegoIS said:
goldark said:

Your asian friend,
David
Superchargers don't sound like turbos where they go pssssstt...superchargers sound more like a whine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.