Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard this from a source. The TBKO ESK is being discontinued due to complication of physical damage (melting, etc...)??? I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, that'd why I'd like 2nd opinions. I'm about to order the ESK 2.0 (yes, I want the control of the switch.)

What's up with the rumor going around that they are going to be discontinued because if problems? Anyone that owns one now feel they've had any issues?

Advice, comments... please. Thanks! :wink:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I called them, e-mailed them, pmed them, and left messages for them because I too wanted one. I say f*** them now. How do you run a business and never get back to someone that wants to give you money for your product. :shame: I'll take my money somewhere else

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
what else is out there that will do the same thing if you're going to take your money someplace else? I was thinking about ording one too.

·
1,717 Posts
ckd said:
I called them, e-mailed them, pmed them, and left messages for them because I too wanted one. I say f*** them now. How do you run a business and never get back to someone that wants to give you money for your product. :shame: I'll take my money somewhere else
I know Jeff has been very busy and was out of town at SEMA last week I am sure he will get back to to in a timely matter.

as for the ESK being discontinued I have not heard any thing about that but I will look into it and let you know what I find. :chill:

Henry

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a 1st gen one and after 30 mins or so it is to hot to touch. I have it mounted inside the car near the change console so engine heat is not to blame. I bought it used from a guy and when I got it I noticed the casing is slightly warped. I use it very sparingly due to how hot it gets. I noticed it makes a big difference when used with F/I. After my Toyomoto valve job next Monday I'll either sell it or toss it though.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
ckd said:
Jeff always calls back or emails or calls the cellphone...
Nothing like coming back from lunch and having 3 messages asking to call back.

It's a shop. I think TBKO is better at getting back to customers than other shops I dealt with.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
ckd said:
You can have my v1 for $80

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AC556k said:
I have a 1st gen one and after 30 mins or so it is to hot to touch. I have it mounted inside the car near the change console so engine heat is not to blame. I bought it used from a guy and when I got it I noticed the casing is slightly warped. I use it very sparingly due to how hot it gets. I noticed it makes a big difference when used with F/I. After my Toyomoto valve job next Monday I'll either sell it or toss it though.
See this is what I was inquiring about. Is there a short in these things so that it's causing heat resistance up in the box? Or what's up? I'm not an electrical engineer. I'm just making up a possibility. No flames no flames..... :lol:

Maybe we need to get ahold of Jeff and have him post the real story on this thread. Seems like a lot of people are interested in them.

·
Registered
589 Posts
IS300AllShow said:
ckd said:
I know Jeff has been very busy and was out of town at SEMA last week I am sure he will get back to to in a timely matter.

as for the ESK being discontinued I have not heard any thing about that but I will look into it and let you know what I find. :chill:

Henry
This wasn't last week. This goes back several weeks ago. I know better then to call when SEMA is going on.

Chris

·
Registered
332 Posts
Totally have to agree with TBKO's customer service. I attempted over the course of a month to try and even make contact with them. This was through the month of October. When I finally got someone on the phone (voice mail box is always full) he said everyone's gone call back tomorrow. Well of course no answer full mailbox. 6 E-mails to them finally got one back. We are waiting on one part for the ESK's and will let you know when they arrive and that's been over a month now. I got so fed up I had to buy a used Gen 1 from another net member. I don't have anything personal with TBKO, but damn I just wanted to give them my money for their product, isn't that the reason they are in business? :roll: Also to be quite honest that is the reason I went with PLP instead of them with the S/C. I had the same problem getting a hold of them in July. :(

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
they have been waiting for the esk parts for quite some time

the shit customer service is inexcusable though

AC556k said:
Totally have to agree with TBKO's customer service. I attempted over the course of a month to try and even make contact with them. This was through the month of October. When I finally got someone on the phone (voice mail box is always full) he said everyone's gone call back tomorrow. Well of course no answer full mailbox. 6 E-mails to them finally got one back. We are waiting on one part for the ESK's and will let you know when they arrive and that's been over a month now. I got so fed up I had to buy a used Gen 1 from another net member. I don't have anything personal with TBKO, but damn I just wanted to give them my money for their product, isn't that the reason they are in business? :roll: Also to be quite honest that is the reason I went with PLP instead of them with the S/C. I had the same problem getting a hold of them in July. :(

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
AC556k

I had no problem getting a hold of them in October.
What time did you try calling them?
I usually had luck in the early morning or mid afternoon.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
IS300GTE said:
they have been waiting for the esk parts for quite some time

the sh*t customer service is inexcusable though
isn't that a 2 person shop? and they are usually busy? it's no excuse but a consideration and maybe some understanding.

I think it would be a good thing if ALL tunner would have a receptionist taking calls and etc. but the reality is that it's additional costs and it's not always an option.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully these new ESK parts they are waiting for won't be faulty like some of the older ones?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I tried calling from 9 to 5 whenever I had a break in work. Probably a total of 20 attempts on the phone. I really don't think it's matter of consideration, I hold no grudge nor am I even upset. I just took my business elsewhere. For those of you who don't own a business let me tell you every little sale can/will usually lead to something larger. That is why each and every customer should be treated with priority. I am closed on Sunday, but when I wash my car in the morning I answer the phones in case a customer may have questions or wish to buy something. No saying you should "live to work", but I'd rather make my money young and retire young! :wink:

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
ALRIGHT ...

i spoke with jeff, he guaranteed me, that if you email him, he will get back to you in a maximum of 24 business hours

if he takes more than 48, contact me and i will call him at his house, at 2am :D

seriously though, if it takes longer than 48 business hours, PM me and i'll get something accomplished

as for the ESK's, same thing i said above, i told him he needs to find another source for the piece that is on backorder, he agreed

-gte

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
IS300GTE said:
as for the ESK's, same thing i said above, i told him he needs to find another source for the piece that is on backorder, he agreed

-gte
someone needs to tell Mike that with his PLP Vortech kit!!!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
davefisher said:
Hopefully these new ESK parts they are waiting for won't be faulty like some of the older ones?
None of the parts were faulty. The esk uses a resistor to load the ecu, so the ecu doesn't trigger a check engine light. We coated the circuit board with a potting compound so the circuit couldn't be copied. In a couple of the units, and I mean only 2 people have contacted me with any problems, the compound didn't harden correctly. Overtime the heat from the resistor melted the potting compound. In fact, in the two units that I've seen the melting problem, both of the circuits still functioned fine. The case was just melted.

We are making two changes to the esk. First we are going to do away with the on/off switch and trigger it with throttle position. Second, we are going to move the resistor out of the case, and make a mount for it on the fender. The tps switch will be available seperate, so anyone with an old still esk will be able to upgrade theirs.

As far as discontinued, I only told one person that information. And I was refering to the old esk's. It's amazing how rumors are started. The old esk's are discontinued now. We will still be making the new esk's. We've been very busy with filling orders for supercharger and turbo kits. We're also working on a new intake for the na guys that comes with a piggyback ecu. So that's were most of our time has gone. We will continue to work on the esks, and once the parts are in we will build them and package them up asap.

I have a folder of people that have emailed me wanting the esk. If anyone still wants it email me, and I will file your address, and email you back when they are instock.

In regards to contacting me, we have been hard to get a hold of. Over that past couple of months, I've bought out my partner, redesigned the turbo kit, worked the bugs out of the supercharger kit, ruptured two discs in my lower back, and been away at SEMA. Now the dust is settling down, and we are getting back work. I've hired a mechanic, so it will be easier for me to handle customer service, and hopefully, after the first of the year, we will have a sales person to handle the phones as well. So hopefully things will get better for the people that have trouble contacting me.

If anyone has any questions, email is the best form of communication for me right now. Please email me at [email protected], I will respond promptly.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
^^^ now this is the kind of stuff i like to read. Im glad everything is going good for you guys and make sure to keep us updated on the intake. Its good to finally have another option aside from .... SRT (<= :shame: )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts