Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble figuring out where/ why this noise is occurring.
So the other day I was doing spark plugs, wires & valve cover gasket. After putting everything back on I started the car and there was this loud tapping noise, it seemed be to coming from underneath the valve cover.
A buddy of mine and I took everything off to check if anything had fallen in the motor, all bolts were accounted for. Checked if we missed anything, checked timing & spark and nothing seemed to be looking off/ abnormal. The car starts up perfectly fine with no hesitation and it idles well with no codes, the tapping gets faster with the rpms and it's very consistent. I have not gotten a chance to check the valves or internals since i last took the valve cover off. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Video: https://flic.kr/p/2kVPpC5

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Almost sounds like a bearing, or maybe a stuck valve?
How long you had it? What condition is it in.... (pink cam covers gives me a preview lol)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost sounds like a bearing, or maybe a stuck valve?
How long you had it? What condition is it in.... (pink cam covers gives me a preview lol)
Well it's only got 97k, I've had it for about 2 years, I don't know anything about it before I had it. It's my daily so I honestly don't beat on it at all contrary to what you may believe haha and who doesn't like pink.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,492 Posts
So if it wasn’t making the noise before and all you did was a valve cover gasket and plugs, something doesn’t add up. Had to have either dropped something in there, or some engine failure has happens by coincidence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if it wasn’t making the noise before and all you did was a valve cover gasket and plugs, something doesn’t add up. Had to have either dropped something in there, or some engine failure has happens by coincidence.
The sound is too consistent to sound like something might have fallen in. I also plugged all the holes after taking plugs out, etc. to ensure nothing fell in & all nuts, bolts & washers are accounted for. I would like to believe it's not coincidental engine failure since there were no prior signs of any sort of failures

1 - 10 of 10 Posts