Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking to buy a Tanabe Medalion Concept G exhaust for my 01 IS300, but every website seems to cancel the order once its placed saying the product is unavailable.

Does anyone have any experience in buying exhausts, in particular a Tanabe, in recent months? Or maybe now that the car 19 years old these exhaust systems are impossible to find now?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Or maybe now that the car 19 years old these exhaust systems are impossible to find now?
If I had to put my money on it, the cars age and relative market share is plenty enough to stop production on these parts. The cost simply doesn't justify the means. I ran into a similar problem with Megan Racing, a popular brand who makes suspension parts among other things, and it was nearly impossible to source their mid-chassis H brace. On their site, it should sell for about $125 or so, and that's about what I paid for mine, maybe $140, but I just did the search, and low and behold, it's between $800-2000 now. I had to wait out the price gouging before I picked mine up

·
Registered
694 Posts
Contact Tanabe in California and ask what the deal is.
Agreed. Go straight to the source.

had to wait out the price gouging
I think eBay sellers do that so they can hold the auction’s “place”. They know no one will buy it at that price, and when they get restocked, they can drop the price to normal. Weird, I know, but I got into the same thing when I wanted a Megan diff brace. Normally 69$, now 500$!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Agreed. Go straight to the source.
Ya, and when I went straight to Megan, they basically told me that they had no intentions for a production run at the time of contact :rolleyes:

I think eBay sellers do that so they can hold the auction’s “place”. They know no one will buy it at that price, and when they get restocked, they can drop the price to normal. Weird, I know, but I got into the same thing when I wanted a Megan diff brace. Normally 69$, now 500$!
Seems logical, but don't they have the items up for auction, so it may be a "re-listing" fee they're trying to skirt, apparently there are different prices for auctions and listings or something.

However I always thought if it was a normal listing, the seller simply pays the sale fee, so it doesn't really make sense. I've sold a few things, and that's how it was for me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking for one for a couple months as well, OP. Just called Tanabe and they said it's discontinued, and that the Medallion is on back-order.
I'm going to keep ordering around in case some vendor has one lying around. If I find one, I'll let you know

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought that same exhaust for my IS about a year ago. I got mine through Defined Performance USA from a guy named Jordan Cutbirth. He helped source one for me so it’s worth a try

1 - 7 of 7 Posts