Lexus IS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
The new car looks much cleaner... it will be nice to start fresh, right?
Paint on the Sx is pretty rough, I will end up doing a respray down the road. Interior is not near as clean as my sedan, and I miss my leather seats. But otherwise its pretty straight minus a couple dings and dents here and there.

Should hopefully be doing my 5 speed swap here in the next week or so, I'm getting really anxious to drive it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Over the weekend I finished up the manual swap for the most part. Still need to go to the dealer to reseed the manual ecu and run a wire for speed sensor. Overall the swap was straight forward, my y-pipe was seized so we dropped the entire exhaust from the header back as low as possible and worked around it. Did minor trimming to the tunnel and didn't space down the transmission originally. Went for a test drive and the tranny whined louder than a supercharger, did some research and found that its pretty normal. I was getting some vibrations and some crazy noise when the ac was on for about a day, then decided to try spacing the tranny down a bit to see if that would remedy it and it ultimately did. The whining, vibrations, and ac noise went completely away and now the car drives beautifully, other than a slight squeak noise while in neutral with the clutch not pressed in.

Ended up with a altezza steering wheel also, which to my surprise doesn't have a cruise control stalk, and the horn doesn't work :serious:... Looks cool at least.

Need a new shift boot and knob. And I'm on the fence about putting the manual cluster in, I have 78k on my sx and the cluster has 130kish, I don't want any discrepancies later on about mileage if I ever decide to sell the car (which I won't).

Overall I'm extremely happy so far, this is my first manual car and its a blast to drive. I definitely learned a lot doing this swap, this is by far the most involved thing I've ever done mechanically.

Gotta thank Curran for his help, he answered all of my questions thoroughly and in a timely manner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on the successful swap! Hope you'll enjoy the mt as much as I do. I seriously can't wait to see what you do with the sx aesthetically. Your sedan was my inspiration since day one and your oz setup will remain my vision for what I want to do to my IS in the future.
:grin:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Congrats on the successful swap! Hope you'll enjoy the mt as much as I do. I seriously can't wait to see what you do with the sx aesthetically. Your sedan was my inspiration since day one and your oz setup will remain my vision for what I want to do to my IS in the future.
:grin:
Thanks dude!

I finally got around to installing my coils, tcs rear uppers, jzx100 front uppers and just tossing on the battles for now. I love love love this car sooo much more aesthetically now, I absolutley hated the rear bumper on sx up until now. Very pleased.

No fender pulling was performed at all, just a solid roll. I refuse to mess with the body line at all for the time being for cheap battles. Specs for wheels are 18x9.5 +23f and +3r after a 20mm spacer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was getting some vibrations and some crazy noise when the ac was on for about a day, then decided to try spacing the tranny down a bit to see if that would remedy it and it ultimately did.
Did you use the W55 or a R154 or similar? I haven't read about the W55 being spaced but I have read the R154 needed to be spaced to work properly. Maybe the Sportcross has a different setup then the sedan in terms of mounting the transmission?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Did you use the W55 or a R154 or similar? I haven't read about the W55 being spaced but I have read the R154 needed to be spaced to work properly. Maybe the Sportcross has a different setup then the sedan in terms of mounting the transmission?
The tunnels between the auto and manual cars are different, with the manual being a lot taller. I ran 4 small washers per bolt on the tranny cross member to get the top off the tranny off of the tunnel. It made a massive difference in noise and vibrations. Also its a w55.

I recently picked up a Mishimoto weighted shift knob, honestly didn't expect much of a difference over stuck, but it changed the entire feel of the car. 10/10 would buy again.

Working on picking up some recaros, and dmax style hood next.

Some recent pictures

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
So, I've raised the car about 2.5 inches

removed about 7 degrees of camber. Trying to get to -3, currently at -7F -6R

I swapped my 3.9 open diff to a frs/brz 4.1 lsd.

Bought bigger tires finally 235 40 for the rear. Gonna run a square setup when I buy new fronts.

Replaced my w55 trans mount with a fresh oem one.

Bought terrible ebay mirrors that look really cool but function horribly as mirrors.

Got adjustable cam gear for christmas, will install one day

Ever since I've done the manual swap I have been wanting to make the car more functional and fun to drive, I think that I've finally got the "stance" bug out of me. It was a lot of fun while it lasted honestly, but I really do like this car a lot and can't see myself tearing up the bottom of my car like I did with the last one. Slowly but surely I plan to pull more camber, I need to buy lowers to finish off the rear and get it where I want.

Ultimate gameplan is a mildly built head, Bc cams 264, valves, springs retainers, exhaust and tune. Would like to get 230~whp and redline at 8k. Something about high revving na gets me going, I don't personally need boost or 300+hp.

Also I plan to start refreshing my suspension, the car feels kind of sloppy. I'm not sure exactly where to start on that. I do have new lower ball joints sitting while I wait to do everything at once. Also plan to do solid subframe and diff bushings.

Plan to do more autocrossing, and drifting occasionally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Sportcross is a solid rig! I was looking at them before i got my recent IS, but damn, they hold their resale value out here. Couldn't find a solid one under 8k.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
How's the 4.1 LSD Rear diff compared to the stock? Looking to do something like that on my automatic 05.
I love it so far, can finally spin both rear tires. I go through a lot more gas now though, only downfall I can think of. Could be me just beating on it everywhere though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Finally got rid of all my rear camber, or as much as I can take out with oem adjustments.

F -6 camber 0 toe
R -2 camber 0 toe

Drives much better imo. When drifting it's much more controllable. Very happy about it thus far.

The brz diff finally got some highway testing a couple weeks ago and it was worse then I expected. at 70 it revs at 3500 and 80 at 4k. Luckily I don't do much highway driving so my usual average actually hasn't changed at all. I'm really regretting not doing solid diff bushings when I did the install because the stock bushings are absolutely done.

Mission front end rebuild is still underway, Ive got Trd Lca #2s , new tie rods, moog lower ball joints and poly rack bushings. I plan to pick up a couple more items before I tear into it, looking at the battle version rcas that add steering lock also. After that I'll be doing the rear.

Motor is still completely stock, planning to do the 90k service here asap as I have a nasty oil leak from the back of the valve cover (I hope).

Pretty happy with the car, I've learned lot so far. I've been practicing sliding around and have gotten somewhat decent, its definitely the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel.

Also picked up a vertex kit, its pretty wrecked so it'll be a while before install.

On a side note, reading back through some of my old posts makes me cringe.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
A couple things

Picked up a used apexi n1 for cheap off of craigslist
for only getting the axleback it sounds amazing, very bassy.

Plp short shifter off of a friend. Not quite sure which version it is but I do like it.
The throws are slightly shorter which is nice, I'm not to happy with the new height of the shifter, its a little to short imo.

Key!s Racing wheel and Works Bell hub, waiting on the hub to get here for impressions. Very excited to install.

My rear main seal is leaking so I'm dreading that project. Still waiting on a couple parts so I can refresh the front end. Also still waiting on my vertex kit to be repaired.

Nothing to interesting

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #276 (Edited)
Finally got around to rebuilding the front end yesterday

Moog lower ball joints
Oem inner/outer tie rods
Trd #1 and #2 bushings
Megan Rcas

Car drives great now, no more slack in the steering wheel from side to side and no more vibrations at 50+

Picked up a Vertex Racing steering wheel, shifter extension and bride seat.

Next project is rear main and Na supra clutch setup.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Once a year update:

Finally got around to putting on my Vertex kit

New Fidanza and sc300/Supra sprung clutch
- Made no difference at all imo

Did T-belt, plugs, valve covers, front main, rear main, new VVTI cam gear, water pump, the basics.

Poly rack bushings

New CX racing coils 14k/10k

New Megan toe links

Removed RCA's

Bride seat

Vertex wheel

Cr Lies 17x9.5 +23
Federal Rsr 215 45s

Car drives pretty good overall, still hasn't let me down 30k miles in. Still need a steering rack and driveshaft to be 100% imo.

I love this thing but now that JZX90s are beginning to come over state side I might finally jump ship.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
The Sportx looks good with those CR Lies! What do you mean you felt no difference with the new clutch and flywheel?
I anticipated similar results/feel that everyone else on here got when going with a lighter weight flywheel. All I got was more of the same, not necessarily complaining as the new setup is marginally better but, meh.

I've heard from different people that if I swap over the manual ecu (which i haven't yet) that it will remove a lot of the rev hang issues that I think I'm getting. Just haven't gotten around to finding someone to program it for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey how do you like the JZX100 UCA's? Contemplating those over the Megan UCA's, which I know are adjustable etc, but i do like the simplicity of the JZX's

261 - 280 of 285 Posts