Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....I know some of ya'll have taken the paint off of the grills to give them the chrome or polished finished look and i was wanting to do the same.

I just ordered a 02 grill so i will have my 01 grill sitting around and i was going to experiment with that one.

What exactly do i have to do. A while back i remember hearing i had to get strong strong paint remover and all of this other crap which i forgot.

If someone could give me some pretty detailed instructions on how to do this process that would be of great help....Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
the grill is plastic so if you take the paint off it will not be silver. I had to trim my grill to fit in my laser jammer and under the paint it's a yellowish color.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone else had told me different....

·
2,883 Posts
From my knowledge of the 2001 grille, it is chrome underneath the paint. Give it a shot!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
see i heard it was chrome underneath too. I would like to find out for sure though first so i dont ruin a perfectly fine grill.....does anyone know for sure??

·
2,883 Posts
IS300Sam said:
see i heard it was chrome underneath too. I would like to find out for sure though first so i dont ruin a perfectly fine grill.....does anyone know for sure??
If my memory is correct, ask webmaster. I recall hearing that from him a very long time ago.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
01 grills are chrome underneath...

all you have to do is spray really strong paint remover (thick and gooey)...let it eat away at the paint and wipe it off. If this doesn't work...you need stronger paint remover :lol:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
so that 01s have metal grills? if it's only crome plated plastic then won't the paint remover take the chrome paint off too?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
DHCrocks said:
so that 01s have metal grills? if it's only crome plated plastic then won't the paint remover take the chrome paint off too?
naw they aren't metal...still plastic...it's like those chrome hubcaps... :lol:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright thanks so much....do you know a specific paint remover that works so i can go purchase it??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts