Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I'll be done with Prey(Michael Crichton) tonight (I know, I have no life, that's how I'll be done with it on the third night of reading) and I need to get a new book to read. Don't ask why, but this dumbass is on a reading kick lately. I'd appreciate any recommendations you guys may have. I know some of you know your shit when it comes to literature so I'm sure I'll see some good picks.

To give you an idea of what I like to read, here are some examples of the books I've been reading lately:

Prey (tech, sci-fi), Live From NY (SNL book), The Art of War (Sun-Tzu, ancient chinese military strategy stuff)...

As I said before, any help will be most appreciated.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Bump up the book thread, numnuts.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know..I know. But I remember some of the stuff in there wasn't much to my liking. I was hoping some people were reading NEW books.

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
I recently read a couple books by Richard Preston. The first one was "The Hot Zone" and the second was "The Cobra Event"

These are the two best books I've ever read.

They are scary as hell because they are non-fiction but the subject (The Ebola virus) is so grpahic and scary you can't believe that it's all actually real.

These are great books that give you some great knowledge and are a great read.

I read Hot Zone in aday and I read Cobra Event (the sequel) in the next two days.

They're unbelieveable.

Also.... always recommended.... just read them: "Ender's Game" and "Shadow of Ender" by Orson Scott Card.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Lex Luthor said:
I know..I know. But I remember some of the stuff in there wasn't much to my liking. I was hoping some people were reading NEW books.
So bump the thread and people will post their recomendations. Theres no reason to have indenticle threads, and its better if its all in one place for future refference. :roll:

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Preston has a new book out too... Demon in the freezer... getting rave reviews, i will pick it up whenits out in paperback

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DJPoop said:
Lex Luthor said:
So bump the thread and people will post their recomendations. Theres no reason to have indenticle threads, and its better if its all in one place for future refference. :roll:
Yeah, but, as you know, most of the eopl ehere would be too lazy to go through it anyways. But, oh well, I asked s0y to get rid of this one if he could.

IS300included - I read The Hot Zone awhile ago...'96, I believe. It was during 10th grade biology and OUTBREAK was in the theaters. Great book! Didn't know there was a sequel. I'll keep it in mind. thanks.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
s0yb0mb said:
Preston has a new book out too... Demon in the freezer... getting rave reviews, i will pick it up whenits out in paperback
Demon in the Freezer? There's about a million jokes I could crack right now abou that title, but I'll hold out. But I like it just for the title so far! :)

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Lex Luthor said:
s0yb0mb said:
Demon in the Freezer? There's about a million jokes I could crack right now abou that title, but I'll hold out. But I like it just for the title so far! :)
its refering to Smallpox. There hasn't been a case "in the wild" in many years, but it exists under tight security in many nations (US and Russia are the only to openly admit it) in cryogenic deep-freeze.

·
Commander In Beef
25,546 Posts
I've read a bunch of Michael Crichton and John Grisham when I was in Russia...I think I read about 7 or 8 books in a 2 month timespan. I like Crichton's Andromeda Strain.
I highly recomment Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's "Gulag Archipelago" which is about Stalin's purges in the mid-late 1930's. It's a 3 volume book.

Also, I'm a big fan of "Catcher in the Rye" :D

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
vaca22 said:
I like Crichton's Andromeda Strain.

Also, I'm a big fan of "Catcher in the Rye" :D
Andromeda Strain was cool.....I also liked Sphere a lot.

Catcher in the Rye is great, you phony.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recommend PREY, but only if you don't mind very scientifically written books. The story itself is quite interesting and the pace is well done albeit a little too technical for most, I'm sure. Crichton probably could've condensed some of the material, then again I'm not done with it so I can't say for sure. I have a feeling it just may become a movie. Don't ask why, but the way it's written and its subject matter, it just has that appeal and it can translate visually, very well.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IS300included said:
Anybody who hasn't read Sun Tzu's "Art of War" ....... needs to.

that is all.
I second that one! Good show. Carry on.

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
I like books that educate (mostly non-fiction). Read "Buzzed"..... it's a book about drugs..... literally.

The book covers all of the widely used illegal drugs and tells you EVERYTHING about them and then shows you pictures.

You come out of that read a smarter person.... I like that.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Personlly I stopped reading fiction, I figured if I was going to spend the time and dedicate myself to reading a book, I might as well get somthing extra from it. So I have stuck with non-fictions and learn more about diffrent subject matter.

I used to read Nelson Demelle alot, really good reads, good humor, great stories.
I also used to read Jack Higgens, with his Sean character

Len Deighton also has some wonderful books to choose from.

If your into forensic science investigation the Alienist is a long but good read.

The most moving books that I have read and would recommend to anyone would be the following.

Ghost Soldiers ( a very good read, true story WWII pows in the pacific and a rescue by the US Army)

THE ALL TIME MOVING BOOK THAT MADE ME ALMOST BREAK DOWN AND CRY.

"WE WERE SOLIDERS ONCE AND YOUNG"

There are no words to describe the emotion that this book envokes in the reader. The movie does not do this book justice, read the book.

I have tons of recommendations, I am a book worm......

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I'd recommend:

The Coming Anarchy - Shattering Dreams of the post Cold War. By: Robet D. Kaplan

The Clash of Civilization - Remaking of World Order. By: Samuel P. Huntington

Both are interesting books to read. If I were you, read "The Clash of Civilization" first, then "The Coming Anarchy".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
15 Participants
s0yb0mb
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing