Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be ok to take the fender liners out and not worry about rust? i know a lot of the honda guys take their fender liners out in the rear to avoid that ever so common quarter pannel rust just behind the rear wheels. moisture gets trapped between the fender and the liner and rots the shit out of the pannel. is this ok to do on our cars? i live in wisconin and occasionally drive the car in winter...haven't heard of anyone doing this on the IS.
thanks for any thoughts on this idea.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
:suspiciou

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yea, dont take them out. I had to drive without one due to it ripping out when i hit a curb in a parking lot. It was noisy and it looks ugly

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks guys, not gonna worry about it then...didnt mean to sound like too much of a dumbass :p

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
I'm glad rust knows not to fuck with a, "lexus". Though rust isn't the reason I take it out. It's only necessary if it's rubbing.

Take that granny liner out.

Before I removed the liner, debris was still back there.

Once you lower your car, it will get in the way.

Looks? Who's sticking their head in the fender wells?

I guess if your car is stock height you might as well keep it there. It would be pointless to take it out if that is the case.

But when you lower your car and it's rubbing just yank it out. Or cut everything out and leave only the portion by the door.

Being able to tell that it's been removed from inside the cabin? No.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
I'm glad rust knows not to fuck with a, "lexus". Though rust isn't the reason I take it out. It's only necessary if it's rubbing.

I have rust in the trunk below the stock jack. Don't know what that's about, but I do see some water in there from time to time.

Nothing pisses me off more than a tire rudding the fender liner. Drive me nuts.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
I dunno about for rust, but I took mine out because I was rubbing on them non-stop. No problems thus far, but I plan to run them in winter to keep the crap from piling up in there.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Mine started rubbing after the new wheels (never did it with the other set of wheels I had though) so I yanked them out. My car sits in the winter though.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
I took mine out instead of cutting and modifying them to allow the new bumper and rims to fit.

My pile of stock lexus stuff in the shed is growing leaps and bounds.

I agree with the "who sticks their head in the fender" comment... who cares. If someone gives you crap, say - "where's your lexus?" That one always works, unless they have a badass LS600.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I think its probably better to keep it on if you plan to keeping your IS for a while. And theyre built to last a long while at that. Mine got mangled in a car wash and had to end up pulling the thing out. This winter I noticed that some of the cables/ wiring in the engine bay was coated in salt. It was literally completely covered in a layer of salt. It also got on some other metal parts... and we all now that salt corrodes and eats away your car. However, you can remedy that by simply flushing it with water from time to time.
But still, if you can leave it on... leave it on. Why risk it? Just my opinoin

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I took mine out instead of cutting and modifying them to allow the new bumper and rims to fit.

My pile of stock lexus stuff in the shed is growing leaps and bounds.

I agree with the "who sticks their head in the fender" comment... who cares. If someone gives you crap, say - "where's your lexus?" That one always works, unless they have a badass LS600.
You do realize an 01 Lexus is worth in the neighborhood of $6,000 right?
Chances are 80% of the cars on the road cost more than our 2001 "luxury" cars.
Get real man.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
An o1' is worth $6,000? What piece of crap, 250k mileage, rebuilt title car are you talking about? I'd say more like $9500 or something.

Back on topic. My car was missing the one on the front right for reason I don't need to talk about. Definitely leave them in or modify them. When mine was out (i live in seattle = wet) it would kit water, mud, road debris, into the engine bay on the right side. Not cool. It's not about looking cool, it's about function and keeping things clean. Yes, no one is going to stick there head in your wheel well, I might but I'm a weirdo, but thats not what its about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts