Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I am finally doing this, posting a semi-tutorial as promised 6 months ago ;)

Well here goes, forgive me if anything is left unexplained.

First step is to cover the lense with masking tape to prevent scratches. This will also give you minor protection if the Rotary tool happens to slip.

The tool is a Dremel diamond wheel. Which has a very thin kerf so the material you remove is minimal. I have also noted that is produces less heat so the tool doesn't get away from you.

EDIT: found it much cheaper here
Here is a pic of the tool

The lense (clear, but pictured here with masking tape) will need to be cut from the housing (black) along the weld line.

Position the cutting tool like this giving plenty of support to the cutting end. Be patient and do not go too fast as the plastic will melt and deform.

On the side that holds the mounts to be more delicate as there is a flange that prevents the tool from getting into the weld. So I used a plastic scoring knife to attack this edge only. Another alternative is to remove the flange that prevent access and wet sand it after everything is apart. This will make sure you have gone through the plastic completely before you try to remove the lens.

make several passes until the lense separates itself. Do not try to pull it apart as any small crack will turn into a huge run when stressed.

Once the lense is separated...it will ook like this.

Even though I do not have masking tape on the lense in this pic, I would leave it on for the whole process. You will need it in a later step when it comes to sealing the housing again.

remove the single screw on the back that holds the reflector in.

When you paint the reflector, wash with mild soap and water to remove the grease. I used a spray tint (no pics of sorry) but you should be able to paint directly on the reflector material with the flat black. I would use high temp since the interior of the light can heat up to at least 150 degrees.

Go back and clean up all of the joints with a razor or 200 grit sandpaper. This will make the joint ready to seal up and also make it look better once it is sealed.

When you reassemble everything, position the lense on the housing and tack into place using a several pieces of tape accross the joint.

Apply a second continous piece of masking tap all along the lense joint and along the housing(2 separate pieces, one on each side of the joint).

Apply a high temp silcone or urethane sealant a long the joint and press into the joint with your finger. Run your finger all along the joint overlapping the tack pieces that are inplace as well. Once the joint is filled with sealant, remove the masking tape that was placed on both sides of the joint so that the joint is exposed and the excess is removed.

Let cure completely and then go back and removed the pieces that were used to tack the lense into place. Perform the same procedure on these areas until they are sealed.

Pick a sealant that is close to the color of your housing. This can be black or grey.

Well any questions? Try not to PM me as my inbox is pretty full. email me at [email protected]

Ah, that felt good to get out :)

Fig

LED tails

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Awesome job Fig! Have you thought about doing this for other member for a fee/charge? Or better yet, follow your process to paint the tail lights? I'm sure you can make some $$$$ out of it!!

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chigger said:
Awesome job Fig! Have you thought about doing this for other member for a fee/charge? Or better yet, follow your process to paint the tail lights? I'm sure you can make some $$$$ out of it!!
Yes I am going to offer that service eventually. Justin (LCA575) is doing a great job so I will leave it to him for a while. In the mean time I am developing an LED array insert to place behind the stock red piece. I have my hands full with the hood prop kits right now, so my free time is taken.

I painted the tails with spray tint and darkened them up a little. I was considering going darker, but have a few things that are higher on the list...like BOOST :D

Fig

·
2,883 Posts
Good post, and it is now a sticky.

I will start to work on eventually having a DIY post with all of these sorts of posts that pertain to these projects.

Thank you for taking the time.

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
irv_usc said:
fig, a request: can you take close up pictures of the cut area as seen from outside the car? i noticed that when i cut mine open, the cut marks are noticable through the lens
Yes I will try to get a pic of this.
The diamond cutter really keeps the plastic in one plane so it doesn't show through. Gotta take it slow though ;)

Fig

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
thanks to you the lense off my cousin's car are at the body shop getting painted (Headlights, Taillights, & JDM Fogs)! :D 8)

Can you go into detail on how to seal the taillights back up?

And some pix of the sealing process too?

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH PHIG!!!!

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CharlieD06 said:
thanks to you the lense off my cousin's car are at the body shop getting painted (Headlights, Taillights, & JDM Fogs)! :D 8)

I am in a little bit of flux since I have just been sealing with hot glue while I work on different solutions for LED tails. But I can seal up a set or take pictures of the process.
I was also considering a servicable solution with a thin wire under the seal so you could pull it out and work on the inside of the lights :)

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Fig said:
CharlieD06 said:

I am in a little bit of flux since I have just been sealing with hot glue while I work on different solutions for LED tails. But I can seal up a set or take pictures of the process.
I was also considering a servicable solution with a thin wire under the seal so you could pull it out and work on the inside of the lights :)
Wow youre super creative! Keep it up man!

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 203 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.