Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to paint my stock tail lamps into flat black. I've tried it a few times on my previous cars and I always had success using a hair dryer blower to heat up and loosen the sealant. With the IS300, I'm using the same procedure, and it's NOT WORKING!!! Anyone had success pulling out the clear outter plastic off? Any help would be appreciated...HELP!! :cry:

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
djskyy said:
I'm trying to paint my stock tail lamps into flat black. I've tried it a few times on my previous cars and I always had success using a hair dryer blower to heat up and loosen the sealant. With the IS300, I'm using the same procedure, and it's NOT WORKING!!! Anyone had success pulling out the clear outter plastic off? Any help would be appreciated...HELP!! :cry:
Dude, you need to cut that Sh!t open with a plastic scoring knife or I use a Diamond Dremel wheel.

Did you search? This topis has been killed a hundred times.

Fig

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fig said:

Fig
Yea, I did a search...but came up with nothing useful....You gotta link on how to do it with pictures?

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Chigger said:
djskyy said:
Fig said:

Fig
Yea, I did a search...but came up with nothing useful....You gotta link on how to do it with pictures?
Because this project is nearly impossible.
Oh it is not, it just takes some patience.

I have a few pics of when I did mine, but I never got around to making a tutorial.

I will post up some pics of the tools and how to use them. Basically you are cutting out the plastic weld not a temperature sensitive adhesive. So you have to cut it out all the way around.

One moment please.....I put something together.

Fig

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
Fig said:
Chigger said:
djskyy said:
Fig said:

Fig
Because this project is nearly impossible.
Oh it is not, it just takes some patience.

I have a few pics of when I did mine, but I never got around to making a tutorial.

I will post up some pics of the tools and how to use them. Basically you are cutting out the plastic weld not a temperature sensitive adhesive. So you have to cut it out all the way around.

One moment please.....I put something together.

Fig
That would be cool... I am going to be trying this very soon, so any help from someone who has done it before would be very useful...

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
So, I am finally doing this, posting a semi-tutorial as promised 6 months ago ;)

Well here goes, forgive me if anything is left unexplained.

First step is to cover the lense with masking tape to prevent scratches. This will also give you minor protection if the Rotary tool happens to slip.

The tool is a Dremel diamond wheel. Which has a very thin kerf so the material you remove is minimal. I have also noted that is produces less heat so the tool doesn't get away from you.

Here is a pic of the tool

The lense (clear, but pictured here with masking tape) will need to be cut from the housing (black) along the weld line.

Position the cutting tool like this giving plenty of support to the cutting end. Be patient and do not go too fast as the plastic will melt and deform.

On the mounting side you will need to be more delicate as there is a flange that prevents the toll from getting into the weld. So I used a plastic scoring knife to attack this edge only.

make several passes until the lense separates itself. Do not try to pull it apart as any small crack will turn into a huge run when stressed.

Once the lense is separated...it will ook like this.

Even though I do not have masking tape on the lense in this pic, I would leave it on for the whole process. You will need it in a later step when it comes to sealing the housing again.

remove the single screw on the back that holds the reflector in.

When you paint the reflector, wash with mild soap and water to remove the grease. I used a spray tint (no pics of sorry) but you should be able to paint directly on the reflector material with the flat black. I would use high temp since the interior of the light can heat up to at least 150 degrees.

When you replace everything, position the lense on the housing and tack into place using a several pieces of tape accross the joint.

Apply a second continous piece of masking tap all along the lense joint and along the housing(2 separate pieces, one on each side of the joint).

Apply a high temp silcone or urethane sealant a long the joint and press into the joint with your finger. Run your finger all along the joint overlapping the tack pieces that are inplace as well. Once the joint is filled with sealant, remove the masking tape that was placed on both sides of the joint so that the joint is exposed and the excess is removed.

Let cure completely and then go back and removed the pieces that were used to tack the lense into place. perform the same proceedure on these areas until they are sealed.

Well any questions? Try not to PM me as my inbox is pretty full. email me at [email protected]

Ah, that felt good to get out :)
Fig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.