Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there with a problem with their IS300/2002 dash? My dash has started to deteriorate and has turned sticky and tacky to the touch. The dealership in Hawaii told me there was nothing they could do. The soft-touch rubber dash was supposedly used to soften the impact on the passengers in case of an accident. Armor All, I was told, has a chemical that will turn the dash to putty. The sun is bad for the dash, too. I was told the manual strongly recommends wiping the dash with a wet cloth. I have never used Armor All. The dealership says they checked nationally and in Japan and have NEVER had any customers complain about the dash. Please respond to this message if your story sounds like mine. I feel the Toyota Company used defective materials to create this 'new' dash.

is300driver47

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
If you search sticky dash you will see that this is a regular problem among is300 owners. I am too plagued by the stick dash, the only remedy that has worked is wd40.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem

I am plagued with the same problem. Mine just stated recently. My sunshade has put scratches in it because it is so soft. I have a 2004 and am the only owner. The weird thing is that it is only the air bag cover and not the entire dash that is tacky. I am going to try taking it to the dealership since it is still under warranty, but I expect them not to do anything...as usual.

Comforting to know it is not just mine, I guess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is there anyone out there with a problem with their IS300/2002 dash? My dash has started to deteriorate and has turned sticky and tacky to the touch. The dealership in Hawaii told me there was nothing they could do. The soft-touch rubber dash was supposedly used to soften the impact on the passengers in case of an accident. Armor All, I was told, has a chemical that will turn the dash to putty. The sun is bad for the dash, too. I was told the manual strongly recommends wiping the dash with a wet cloth. I have never used Armor All. The dealership says they checked nationally and in Japan and have NEVER had any customers complain about the dash. Please respond to this message if your story sounds like mine. I feel the Toyota Company used defective materials to create this 'new' dash.

is300driver47
hey man which hawaii dealership is this. cause there telling u BS by saying no one has ever complained bout there dash to the dealership... but since i have a 2002 and u do to were both outta luck cause our car is outta warrenty.... boooo! but hey if you wanna get your dash painted lmk im planning on doing the same thing. maybe we can get a deal... btw im in hawaii also. on Oahu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Follow Up - 2004 IS 300 Tacky Airbag Cover

Just to follow up since I last posted. I had my husband (since I figured that would listen to him more than me) take my car into our Lexus dealership to see if we could get the airbag cover replaced under warrany since it is the only part that is tacky.

Good news - the manager sent the request into Atlanta (I guess that is where all warranty claims go to be approved) and he called us back today to say that they are ordering the part and it is going to be replaced under warranty.

Hope this helps others out there with the same problem! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts