Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello, I am having a problem with my tachometer. Recently while driving it stopped working and the brake light indicator light and add oil (I think) light came on. The car runs and drives fine, anyone ever seen anything like this? The tachometer just sits at 0, the speedo, engine temp and gas gauge works fine.

Doing some searching the 2nd last post in this thread: http://my.is/forums/f115/another-speedometer-thread-430724/ is having the same exact issue.

·
Super Moderator
18,158 Posts
do you have a CEL? Is your car a manual? If you don't have a CEL for the output speed sensor then most likely it is a signal loss between your ECM and guage cluster or rpm guage itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have a CEL? Is your car a manual? If you don't have a CEL for the output speed sensor then most likely it is a signal loss between your ECM and guage cluster or rpm guage itself.
I did have a CEL but it was for my 02 sensor. I just took the battery off and cleaned off the terminals. It is a 5 speed. What a clusterfuck. :blush:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a couple more threads with the same issue, but not one person posted what the solution or problem to this situation was. hmmm

·
Super Moderator
18,158 Posts
i would think you have a connection issue either between the ecm and the tach guage or the guage itself. the ecm uses this signal so if it was the o/d direct clutch speed sensor, you would throw a p0717 DTC(no signal). I would probably double check the codes and if only the code relates to the O2 sensor, then i would check the guage. download the manuals in the first gen showroom forum and go to page 929(BE-92) to show you how to test using an ohmmeter. you can also connect up to an OBDII reader and see if the rpms read. if they dont then you know it may actually be the speed sensor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah i have the same problem, and yeah im throwing o2 codes to if someone would reallllllly love to tell me how to fix it i would love them forever!!! haha mine does the brake light thing and the low oil light thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It randomly started working again on the way home from a friends house. I'm going to pull the codes again next time I drive by an Autozone. (probably tomorrow)

na2jpwer- I will update this thread whenever possible, including if/when I find out what is going on.

·
Super Moderator
18,158 Posts
the loss of the tach should have nothing to do with the oil level/pressure malfunction. check your 10A Guage fuse and also verify you dont have a rear light out. when you are scanning for codes, the scanner should read rpms, so that would rule out the sensor on the transmission. check your oil level as well to eliminate other factors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the loss of the tach should have nothing to do with the oil level/pressure malfunction. check your 10A Guage fuse and also verify you dont have a rear light out. when you are scanning for codes, the scanner should read rpms, so that would rule out the sensor on the transmission. check your oil level as well to eliminate other factors.
IMO they are related. I found a couple other threads with people having the same exact issue. Also, when the tach stopped working while driving is the exact moment the lights went on. Now that my tach is working again, the lights went off.

·
Super Moderator
18,158 Posts
IMO they are related. I found a couple other threads with people having the same exact issue. Also, when the tach stopped working while driving is the exact moment the lights went on. Now that my tach is working again, the lights went off.
AFAIK, if they were related then you would have an ECM issue or a signal loss. The only thing that's related with the rear light out malfunction is the guage fuse. The only other thing I can think of is that you have a main wire loom connector loose in the driver kick panel or connector making poor contact for all malfunctions to happen at the same time. maybe try to wiggle them gently while the car is running in park. they should all be locked into place though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
like mine works spontaniously whenever it wants to and believe me i check my oil now leaks and clean and level, and when my tack works randomly on and off. When it works the lights go bye bye and when when it dont work lights come back. But honestly that rear brake light doesnt it stays on and all my lights work cause believe me i checked i would love to see how to fix this problem!! BECAUSE THIS GIRL IS NOT HAPPY!! lol

·
Super Moderator
18,158 Posts
like mine works spontaniously whenever it wants to and believe me i check my oil now leaks and clean and level, and when my tack works randomly on and off. When it works the lights go bye bye and when when it dont work lights come back. But honestly that rear brake light doesnt it stays on and all my lights work cause believe me i checked i would love toward see how to fix this problem!! BECAUSE THIS GIRL IS NOT HAPPY!! lol
I'm trying to narrow this down to a connector or connection can you specify which lights go out whenever the tach goes out? meaning, you lose the tach and you lose your cluster backlighting and the low oil or oil pressure light comes on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update, I ended up cleaing my battery terminals. Since then, the problem hasn't came back (been about a week).

Here is an image of what it looked like when I was having the problem:
http://i.imgur.com/FutiW.jpg

(note: cruise was indeed being used, that was not part of the problem)

·
Registered
3 Posts
got exactly the same thing going on in mine! is200 (2002 model) , levels all ok , bulbs ok , only since new battery fitted , all terminals have been clean too.no water ingress near fuse box either.....argh
tia

·
Registered
24 Posts
The same problem just starting this morning on my is !

I check all the fuses and at the same time I'm doing this, I just view that my negative connector on my battery was a little bit loosen, so I just tightened and the problem was solved !

hope it can help you guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
fixed !! done a reset on ecu , disconected battery an left over night , reconnected dash and job done ,
tho i did try all the ususl things ,clean connecter , checked all fuses , water ingress at fuse box , simple job all along

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem, no solution.

I've been searching this thread for the past couple of hours trying every single suggestion on here and nothing seems to get rid of the problem. Today I was driving 50mph when all of a sudden the oil light, the rear light failure, the tachometer, and the needle the measures MPG all simultaneously failed.

I've cleaned the terminals, checked all the fuses, and even put in another fuse in the 10A Gauge to no avail.

I know for a fact there is sufficient oil, I just changed it and know it's full. All back lights are working properly.

Any other suggestions or help???

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
this is a weird problem - it jsut popped up for me too... checked fuses... haven't cleaned terminals or anything, it was random - washed my car - went to play golf and then on the way home it was a problem... just checked all the fuses - all good..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made a post on this too, probably shoulda just replied here, but yeah idk what's going on with mine too. Same issue (rpm meter not working, oil pressure light on and brake light on)... My negative terminal on my battery was corroded, so I went to buy a new terminal to replace but just before, I cleaned the terminals and not right away but later on it started working again, but then stopped even after I replaced my negative terminal, still doesn't work.
Very frustrating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IS300 tachometer not working along with other dash indicator lights on.

I realize it has been a few years since this post but I acquired a 2002 IS300 Sport Cross and started having the same issue with the tac, MPG, oil fluid level light on and rear light out indicator on. My issue was I plugged a phone USB charger in the cigarette lighter and started having the issue. I took out the USB charger and the tac started to work and all the other issues were corrected. Weird - I know but I can duplicate the issue. How does a USB charger plugged into the cigarette lighter cause all these issues?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts