Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
this is the screen I ordered, keep in mind it was a pre-order and I have yet to receive the thing. Shop | Chalkboard Electronics
I have seen that screen it looks really nice as it is capacitive touch.
I considered scrapping my screen and going for that one but I don't wanna throw more money in the project as I might actually sell my car in the next couple of months but I wanted to get this project out of my system as it has been in my mind for way too long.

Let us know how the screen is. I am definitely interested in it, Maybe if I decide to keep my car I will upgrade to that one also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have not seen any USB GPS dongle work with Android, If you guys figure out one do share. I have plugged in a Microsoft one that works for PC but Android does not know what to do with it.
I have seen a few message board posts here and there that seem to try to tackle the issue. This is one here: Our Houzz: Installing G-STAR IV BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receiver (pl2303 based USB GPS Receiver) on no GPS Android Tablet - Part 1

& here: Can someone support the USB GPS - Page 6 - xda-developers

I think between the two I should hopefully figure something out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well damn, the 7" screen I wanted to use for this is having more delays and they are cancelling pre-orders. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for a bit. ( Or to try to find a way to stuff a 10" unit in somewhere )

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I am currently taking on the same project and have gone through a very similar thought process. My current road block was finding an open frame touch screen. I'm surprised that there aren't more on the market. Two years from now I'm sure they will be very common.

bleego, thanks for the link to the screen you are considering. Their blog post describing their delays is entertaining. Generally I don't like a company that takes your money and doesn't deliver product but they seem to be honest and upfront about the development process.
Update on 7inch status | Chalkboard Electronics

·
Registered
61 Posts
James, Although I am unhappy to report that they still aren't able to produce the screen. I can at least mention that they did refund the money that I paid in the meantime.

Unfortunately I think I will have to scrap that particular design as a result. Which is sad because I was really looking forward to having a static screen that could have it's "brain" swapped out at will. ... in case I upgrade the tablet, or windows 7 gets better or something.

But I think with the new Nexus 7 being released. I may either 1) get a new Nexus 7, or 2) get an old Nexus 7 if I find one really cheap and tear it apart to fit in the cubbyhole. Since the price of the Nexus 7 isn't that much greater than one of these screens. And it already has GPS so that is one less thing for me to worry about. I have a few things I need to worry about first before I can get to it, so I'll at least have a little bit for prices to settle on old Nexii and see what the best option for me is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bleego, Glad to hear they refunded your money. I checked their site today and their blog has an update...

UPDATE 22-Jul-2013: we finished new PCB design and made tests that were positive. New PCBs and components are ordered, we will do our best to start shipping for opened pre-orders end of next week.

Using this screen is still my preferred design. Considering that they refunded your money they sound like a reputable company so I think I will wait it out.

Regarding the Nexus 7, I researched this option quite a bit before finally abandoning it. I borrowed a friends Nexus 7 and was able to confirm a few problems.
1. The screen is too big for the factory Nav screen opening. If you are very talented the Nav opening could be trimmed but I'm not talented in that way.
2. The body of the Nexus 7 is too big. It is tool tall and too wide. Trimming is required all around. It could possibly fit but it leaves no room for the charger and audio out plug. There are microusb cables available that include the audio out but that doesn't help the situation too much.
3. If you are thinking of trimming the body of the Nexus 7.. think again. The screen is integrated into the glass frame. I watched a teardown video of the Nexus 7 to confirm that. Trimming the body would be a nightmare.

If you would like some photos of the Nexus 7 relative to the Nav housing I can post them.

I was also considering the Nexus 7 version 2. As of a couple weeks ago I couldn't find dimensions/specs or a release date. After all my research on 7" tablets I'm doubting that the N7 v2 will meet our needs. It is too bad that all the 6" tablets on the market are no-name ebay specials because a 6" might fit the bill perfectly. I even considered a Samsung Galaxy Note but they are a little too small.

If you haven't stopped by mp3car.com lately you should check out Sonicxtacy02's latest post. His project is going pretty well. I plan to follow his lead with the exception that I'm going to use the Chalkboard Electronics screen instead of the screen he is using. The Chalkboard Electronics is a near perfect fit in the IS300 Nav opening. It is only a mm or two short on the sides and top. Better to be slightly too small than too big.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
If you would like some photos of the Nexus 7 relative to the Nav housing I can post them.
I'd like to see pics, though I should be able to post pics myself soon.

That was bad news for me. I got a USDM Nav housing in (JDM one's screen hole is smaller, requires more trimming) and have had a nexus 7 for a while. Figured this was a no brainer but yeah the nexus 7's sizing outside of it's screen is a bit much. You can remove some of the trim but I guess that only gains you ~5mm.

Reading 7" tablet installs into the OE Nav housing, seems like there isn't really any way not not trim the housing to fit- I'm hoping its not impossible- I don't use my 7 much, don't want to buy yet another tablet to make this happen when I have such a lightly used one needing a purpose in life haha.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nexus 7 both generation will not work, it is way too big.

closes tablet that will fit was cheap quality china ones.
Here are some photos of one i test fitted a year ago and me cracking the case open. was this close to putting this in but was missing bluetooth so i returned it.

i had found another perfect fit tablet a bit better quality but also missing bluetooth and couldnt not order one with bluetooth, so i scrapped the idea totally.

If anybody needs the absolute maximum measurements that will fit the factory navi housing please let me know. I have them written down somewhere.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Dimensions of the OE Nav housing can be "messaged",

I could swear I've seen his DIY somewhere around here as well, but the youtube vid popped up easily when searching. I'm also remember a DIY for a galaxy and the guy added a heat sink, fan, A/C routing etc for cooling. I'd be a bit partial to get rid of the battery all together and have the car's battery do the duty.

I believe the Nexus 7s are a few mm longer and wider, and the screen is a bit wider as well, so the Galaxy may be the biggest one can go. And I don't like the top cutout revealing the power and volume buttons. I'd rather that stay concealed and I control those aspects via the screen- but for the galaxy to fit like his install, that cutout is needed-- or the bezel and buttons need to be removed for a flush install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't given up on this project either. Since finding a tablet to fit the housing is proving difficult I plan to install a frameless touch screen in the housing, then run the Android OS from a stick. Currently everything is on hold waiting for the screen. I think someone brought this supplier up a year ago but I'm still watching and waiting for this product to be released. It would be a PERFECT fit.

Chalkboard Electronics 7" Screen

I don't know yet what Android stick I would use because the technology changes every 3 days, but this is an example. Has bluetooth.
MK809III

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I bought a 7" touch screen for a carPC project a lifetime ago. I still have it, but I bet the resolution and other specs are lacking. I don't even have the documentation anymore to see what the heck the specs are, so I'm not sure if I'll run it or pony up for something new. I never thought of the stick option. I've gotta dig into that screen and see what my options are- doubt it even has HDMI...

The more I think about it, the more JamesE's idea lends itself to easy upgrading over time- seeing the technology changes so quickly.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I haven't given up on this project either. Since finding a tablet to fit the housing is proving difficult I plan to install a frameless touch screen in the housing, then run the Android OS from a stick. Currently everything is on hold waiting for the screen. I think someone brought this supplier up a year ago but I'm still watching and waiting for this product to be released. It would be a PERFECT fit.

Chalkboard Electronics 7" Screen

I don't know yet what Android stick I would use because the technology changes every 3 days, but this is an example. Has bluetooth.
MK809III
There is a Ugoos UM2 which basically has what most other ones do, but this one has 2 full USB slot and a micro USB slot for OTG. Which might eliminate the need for a hub for most people. This stick also has an IR remote but I read it wasn't too good. It's probably what I'm gonna use with the chalkboard electronics screen when they get back in stock

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have started my CarPc project. The touchscreen I have is 1080p and HDMI. Also has SD, USB slots, with USB programmable buttons. Here is a picture of the screen mounted. Sorry none right now working. But it has great resolution.
Which screen is that?

I too have been waiting around for the Chalkboard one. In the meantime, I also had been playing around with an AppRadio2 that I got a really good deal for in my Miata.

There are a few observations that I can give so far:

1) Waiting for Android to boot up before being able to do anything kind of sucks. I'm trying to think of better Battery options. I'm starting to think that doing relocating a tablet in a cooler spot, and using external HDMI might be the better solution than a stick. But I'd love to hear of other Battery options anyone has tried

2) I don't know if it's the devices I have or what, but Android seems to be kind of funky with HDMI out resolutions. The Xoom that I have will only output 1280x800. Which means an AppRadio that is expecting 1280x720, will work, it will just simply cut off the remaining 80, and then I don't have a dock. I don't know if other tablets do that, but I didn't want to deal with buying another tablet just to test this out. The HDMI stick on the otherhand does at least have a choice for HDMI out to be 720p or 480p ( and I imagine if I used the 1080p kernel, that would be an option too )

3) I'm pretty sure that the amount of work put in to trying ( and failing ) to get an AppRadio to do what I want it to do, would probably equal the work it would take to hack a tablet in to begin with. And you don't have to deal with a billion warnings about how you shouldn't play Candy Crush and crash into a tree.

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts
Would anyone be interested in a double pivoting magnetic ball mount for a tablet and a custom aesthetic bracket for this location? it would require 2 discs adhere to the back of the tablet is all and the magnetic balls would be static on the bracket. kicking this product idea around for a tuner mount, but navi makes sense also.
Mike

·
Registered
834 Posts
Would anyone be interested in a double pivoting magnetic ball mount for a tablet and a custom aesthetic bracket for this location? it would require 2 discs adhere to the back of the tablet is all and the magnetic balls would be static on the bracket. kicking this product idea around for a tuner mount, but navi makes sense also.
Mike
interested

·
Registered
54 Posts
The acer Iconia 7 inch tablet works like a charm, just stripped the tablet of the outer plastic bumpers. it has bluetooth and wifi, along with Micro SD card, micro HDMI 3.5 mm jack and jellybean.

I removed mine a month or so ago, because I got an appradio as a gift, and didnt' make sense to keep both.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts