Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to the forum. Just put the Turbonetics kit in my 01 and already had to send the turbo out for a rebuild. I know everyone with this kit had to do it. How was the turbo after the rebuild?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hardly any. After the dyno runs we took it on the street a little bit and started seeing smoke.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've just finished mine a few weeks ago...turbonetics kit. Got it tuned and a few hundred km runed with no probs....i'm gonna install a water/meth injection kit this week an go for a final tune ...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smoke from exhaust. my installer pulled the turbo and found out it had a bad seal. It pushed some oil through the pipeing which is what caused the smoke.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey braddy I hope it doesnt happen to you but it seems like everyone who put this kit in had the same problem within 4,000 miles

·
Registered
858 Posts
Is there anyway to install another turbo other than the T-nectics i have the same set up an yesterday my friend said that se was looking at my exha and starting to see black smoke and smelled.

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
Is there anyway to install another turbo other than the T-nectics i have the same set up an yesterday my friend said that se was looking at my exha and starting to see black smoke and smelled.
Well black smoke is normal, it is excess fuel (running rich). To answer your question, yes, you can put other turbos on the same exhaust manifold, just make sure it will work with your needs/goals/setup and then get a retune.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well black smoke is normal, it is excess fuel (running rich). To answer your question, yes, you can put other turbos on the same exhaust manifold, just make sure it will work with your needs/goals/setup and then get a retune.
Thanks for helping me out i still have to get it tuned right because its not right!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinkin the same thing. If i have another problem with it after the rebuild im gonna throw a different turbo in

·
Registered
858 Posts
I was thinkin the same thing. If i have another problem with it after the rebuild im gonna throw a different turbo in
Let me know what kind of turbo you put on just incase the turbonectics one goes out hopefully not

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Man Ive heard so many problems with these turbos. Good luck man, hope it all gets worked out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'll keep you all posted. Mine went in for the rebuild in the summer but I have not got my car finished yet so I don't know how it will last. (fingers crossed). What you want to look for is the white smoke coming form the exhaust. :( mine only made it 4,000 kilometers!!!!!!!! brutal.............. Of course I bought the car with the kit freshly installed on the car. If I had a choice I'd obviously would have went with SRT!

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I thought TNetics was a big company, why won't they cover it under their warranty? LOL they a purposely selling bad turbos with their kit to make more money on rebuilds? :LOL:

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
damn those turboes suck
After getting it rebuilt, I would sell it and buy another brand (Precision is a good option).

Based on my personal experience with Turbonetics, their turbos are crap. I had an early SRT Stage 2 kit with one and mine blew as well. SRT soon changed to Precision Turbos. There was a good reson for such...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They did honor the warranty on the rebuild and are also makeing it water cooled. They are now doing this on turbos that come back from this kit because the extreme heat is what was frying these turbos. Hopefully theyre right...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts