Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bumping this back up, I haven't gotten my system yet but I will in mid-June.

I was looking around again and came up with some new ideas. My budget is around $2500.

HU: Pioneer AVIC-F90BT or AVIC-F900BT.
Components: Focal 165V1 Polyglass 6.5" 2 Way Component Speakers
Rear Speakers: Not sure but I need new ones because their both blown due to my demand for bass.
Amp: JL Audio (not sure what rating I need for what I want)
Sub: I'm pretty set on JL Audio subs (probably 2 10")

I'm open to suggestions on everything listed, and as for the actual setup I want something that looks nice but still allows me access to the spare, etc.

Maybe something along these lines?

OR

^^ 2nd one seems out of my price range with everything but just thought I'd throw it in there :)

I was also thinking about going with a Viper or Python alarm system, although I don't know much about these as well so input will be helpful :)

Again I'm open to any ideas/changes you may have since I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is all personal Preference on what you want and looking to spend. I love JL's and Alpine Equally. I use all Alpine in my IS Only due to a corparate sponsership in conjunction with Alpine where I work. Jl carries smaller free air subs that I would love to use in my rear deck for a better midrange filler. But again, stuck in a 2yr contract. For Custom Enclosures, There is another member (Italyn Stallion) who builds custom enclosures, try to get ahold of him.

As for your alarm... Viper and python are both made by Directed Electronics. Both are good. Its a little spendy in the end depending on what you plan to ge done. I opted to use the Viper 5900/remote start feature. If you go with remote start, you are going to need a bypass module.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Lots of IS300 people seem to have had good success with that headunit. As for speakers; get a good set of components for the front and then a sub. A decently priced set of components that I would recommend are th Diamond Audio Hex S600S Diamond Audio S600S (HEX S600 w/ Silk Dome Tweeters) - 6-1/2" 2-Way Component System • Kevlar Sandwich Woofer Cone • 1" SILK Dome Tweeter • 170W RMS • Competition Grade Crossovers Included - , Car Speakers, 6-1, 2" Component Systems - Sonic Electroni
Either that or the Phoenix Gold RSD's if you can find a set....best speakers for the money hands down

For an amp maybe run a 3 channel amp. There is one that kicker makes that gives about 70RMS for the front channels and if you run a two ohm load on the sub channel you can get 420RMS. Kicker ZX550.3 - 3-Channel Amplifier with Class D 3rd Channel • Remote Bass Control • High Pass, Low Pass, Full-Pass Crossover • 4 gauge power/ground leads • power output at 2 ohms: 85W x 2 + 420W x 1, at 4 ohms: 70W x 2 + 210W x 1 - , Car Amplifiers

If you want two tens maybe you should check out the new Image Dynamics ID 10's. They are a great sound quality sub but still have plenty of punch. If you were to get the dual 2 ohm version and run two of the subs (in parallel) you would get 210RMS to each sub which would be plenty of power. If you ran two tens (and wanted to keep trunk space) a sealed box is probably the way to go. Either that or run a single 12" sub in a ported box which is what I would suggest.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Providing a little more information as to what you like in your music, listening preferences, etc...would help a lot in us giving you suggestions...along with how much your hoping to spend...

What genre(s) of music do you listen to? What do you want from your bass...massive amounts of output, or clean clear bass...both...etc...? You looking to keep most of your trunk?

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Providing a little more information as to what you like in your music, listening preferences, etc...would help a lot in us giving you suggestions...along with how much your hoping to spend...

What genre(s) of music do you listen to? What do you want from your bass...massive amounts of output, or clean clear bass...both...etc...? You looking to keep most of your trunk?
Spot on....all those need to be answered

·
Registered
48 Posts
also on the d3 do you think your going to use the nav alot or no. gotta ask yourself is it worththe extra money have you ck out the clarion max685bt pretty bad ass also. check out this alarm and it actually has a lifetime warranty not limited not really doggin viper good alarms love some of the features but does hurt.

RS-1000 O.L.E.D.

2-Way O.L.E.D. Remote Start w/ 6 Channel Alarm
RS-1000 OLED NEW 900MHz, Six-Channel Alarm System with Remote Car Starter and Two Way FM/FM Paging O.L.E.D. Remote Transmitter

STANDARD COMPONENTS:

· 6 Channel Alarm and Remote Car Starter with 5 on-board MICRO relays for parking lights, starter, accessories, ignition 1&2 and one additional relay / socket for starter disable.

· New On-board Serial Port for AP Data Link Data Bus Integration

· Two-way paging receiver and transmitting remote with 3-color LCD screen using FM frequency bands for transmitting and receiving at 900 megahertz. Unit will transmit and receive up to 1 MILE. Unit also includes 24-hour clock with meter minder and temperature indicator and countdown run timer.

· New MANCHESTER CODE encoder.

· NEW STYLE Two-way, window mount SUPER EXTENDED RANGE transceiver antenna module.

· One 5-button extended range FM, standard 900-megahertz SLIDE COVER remote transmitter.

· SIS-11 Super Intelligent Sensor with dual stage shock / glass sensitivity.

· Discrete Temperature Sensor that communicates in-car temperature with LCD remote.

· Window-mount Knock Sensor for driver paging.

Plug-in super bright mini-BLUE LED and push-type valet/override switch.

TWO-WAY O.L.E.D. REMOTE OPERATION:

· 5-button configuration with selectable Button Lock to prevent accidental mis-use.

· Uses a rechargeable battery via Mini USB type connector w/ wall charger included.

· Battery life indicator and power save mode

· Full color (O.L.E.D. Organic Light Emitting Diode) with over 100 icons and animation screens.

· Optional Two Car Operation with LCD transmitter only

· Transmits on FM band and receives on FM band.

· 24-hour digital clock with count down timer for parking meter reminder. The clock doubles as a temperature indicator for monitoring in-car temperature. Displays in Fahrenheit or Celsius.

· Multiple audible confirmation tones as well as vibrator mode for paging.

2-way Transmitter Range Check Indicator

ALARM FEATURES:

· Six Channels of outputs (3 dedicated to lock/unlock, trunk and remote start / 3 auxiliary outputs)

· Dedicated function buttons on LCD remote and 4-button standard remote transmitter.

· Code learning / Anti-scan receiver with programmable code hopping.

· Back-up memory system

· Selectable Chirp Confirmation (OEM Style lock only chirp confirmation)

· Comfort Feature with OEM systems having key / remote control power window roll-up

· Dedicated remote panic and car locator

· Passive arming by-pass from the remote

· Parking light flash with dual polarity relay on-board

· Plug-in dual stage SIS-11shock sensor with sensor by-pass from the remote

· Starter disable output with relay and socket included

· Dome light illuminated entry output

· Dual polarity (+/-) door lock outputs with optional driver s door priority two step unlock

· Additional positive and negative inputs

· 500 mA grounded outputs for starter disable and door lock/unlock

· Programmable momentary, latched or timer on 3 auxiliary channels.

· Programmable manual / passive arming with true last door arming with auto re-arm on

· Programmable Single / Double Pulse Unlock (7 new timing adjustments)

· Programmable Parking lights (flash or constant)

· Programmable Pathway Illumination (on / off)

· Programmable voltage sense for delayed dome lights (on / off)

· Programmable horn and siren chirp delete

· Programmable ignition control lock and unlock

· Programmable pulse time for lock and unlock (.9 sec. / 3 sec.)

REMOTE CAR STARTER FEATURES:

· 5 On-Board Relays:

Ignition 1
Ignition 2
Starter
Accessory
Parking Light
· 3rd Ignition (-) output

· Dedicated Second Start wire

· Dedicated Ground out when running

· GM- Non starter wire timing compatible

· Ground when start (-) output

· New Turbo Timer feature

· 2nd Accessory (-) output

· Selectable one or two push Safety Start

· Programmable gasoline or diesel with 10, 15, or 20 second Wait-to-Start

· Hood pin switch safety input (pin switch included)

· Selectable RPM / Voltage Start

· RPM / Voltage / Hi-Low level check

· Timer control start option

· Sensor control output during start

· Temporary Stop Feature

· Factory Alarm Disarm and Rearm signal output

· Programmable factory keyless door locking before and after start

· Programmable start status output with shock sensor bypass

· 45 second door / dome light bypass after ignition is turned off.

· Programmable Ignition 2 (on / off)

· Programmable 3 hour timer start

· Programmable 1 / 3 hour timer start

· Selectable Run Timer (5/10/20/30 minutes)

· Selectable Gasoline / diesel

Selectable Diesel warm-up time

AUTOPAGE.COM

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
also if you want clarity, nice mid bass and good highs that are crisp but not ear piercing ck out boston acoustics mids, highs, and subs they also have amps 2,4,5,6, channel amps, the five ch. would be good for you i think and also ck out the 10 in. subs the gtr or gt2 subs with radiators. with the radiators you would only need one sub and the radiator acts as the other sub which gives you alot bass with way less room which for a 10 gtr and radiator is under .5 cube of air space and with the radiator they different weights you put in for diff. freq. sound waves.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
in my opiniong dont go with jl for speakers
but for subs and amps they are good

this is my setup and i am in love

all 4 speaks are eclipse
eclipse amp
13w7 jl sub
1000/1v2 jl amp
and a cheap pioneer head unit i got like a month after the car but i hate it haha

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I mostly listen to Rap/Hip-Hop, and rock time to time. I'm not wanting massive amounts of bass, but more than the stock system has.. and I still want to be able to hear the words in the song. I want to keep some trunk space, the more the better.

I'm looking to spend up to $3500.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
I mostly listen to Rap/Hip-Hop, and rock time to time. I'm not wanting massive amounts of bass, but more than the stock system has.. and I still want to be able to hear the words in the song. I want to keep some trunk space, the more the better.

I'm looking to spend up to $3500.
Ok....how bout I bring you in under $2500. You can plan a GREAT system for that much. Sound good?

Here we go.

Headunit-Pioneer D3 $700
Components- Focal 165V1...$220
Amp- Kicker ZX550.3....$270
Subs- SoundSplinter RL-i 10" Dual 4 ohm. $200
Enclosure- 0.45cubic feet net volume tuned to 27hz. (If you want one built PM me)
Sound Deadener-$130ish....depends on how crazy you want to get;)
Wire and Amp kit- $100 (just get something 2-4 gauge with 2 RCA pairs)

That would bring you in under $2000! How does that sound?

·
Registered
796 Posts
/\ /\ /\ what Italyn said above thats about right.

Remember Tony know nothing really and all the talk about cubes, ohm, parallels, channels . . . . is just confusing him so keep it simple.but its fun to learn!

I spent around 2200 for mine running D3 and full JBL GT series (replaced all speakers) and a 12" sub in custom fiberglass box with a amp for sub and amp for cab.

I was looking into the JLW7 but its so much mulla

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Remember Tony know nothing really and all the talk about cubes, ohm, parallels, channels . . . . is just confusing him so keep it simple.but its fun to learn!
lol, true. When he wants to get to that I'll explain it. I get excited planning systems for people....I don't know why

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you don't mind spending that much I would go with some 12" subs for your listening preferences. All I listen to is rap and hip hop. I have a pair of 10" JL w3v2's and though they hit the bass notes well I wish I had twelves (actually have a pair waiting to put them in) to get a deeper, stronger bass from those songs with the really deep bass notes...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok....how bout I bring you in under $2500. You can plan a GREAT system for that much. Sound good?

Here we go.

Headunit-Pioneer D3 $700
Components- Focal 165V1...$220
Amp- Kicker ZX550.3....$270
Subs- SoundSplinter RL-i 10" Dual 4 ohm. $200
Enclosure- 0.45cubic feet net volume tuned to 27hz. (If you want one built PM me)
Sound Deadener-$130ish....depends on how crazy you want to get;)
Wire and Amp kit- $100 (just get something 2-4 gauge with 2 RCA pairs)

That would bring you in under $2000! How does that sound?
That would be great, but would I be sacrificing sound quality not going with JL? I've just heard so many great things about JL and Alpine, but haven't heard much about Focal or Soundsplinter. Is the sound deadener something like a Dynamat?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You won't be sacrificing any SQ with a suggestion from Steven. He knows his shit. Dynamat is one of the deadeners, yes, but I know he is partial to Second Skin. For the best results, use an adhesive mat and a liquid over the top of it. That's the brand and method I plan to use.

As for JL, they are a solid good quality brand, but many people believe theyre overpriced. Personally, I love JL and have used them for years. My old 12w1 lasted longer than my last 6 cars. It's only been retired because I got two 10w3's. There are better and there are cheaper out there, but good luck finding both in the same product.

Whatever you decide, we want to see pics pics pics. Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
That would be great, but would I be sacrificing sound quality not going with JL? I've just heard so many great things about JL and Alpine, but haven't heard much about Focal or Soundsplinter. Is the sound deadener something like a Dynamat?
Yep, Dynamat is a brand of sound deadener. It's VERY expensive and isn't even the best out there. Like Brian said above me, SecondSkin is what I use. I've had good results with it.

JL makes good stuff but there are tons of better products out there for the money. That sub I suggested, the RL-i 10 has been compared to the W7 a lot and most people prefer the RL-i and it's less than half the price ;)

Focal is a synonym for sound quality. Not literally the world, but in the world of audio the brand Focal is known for having dead accurate speakers. I wouldn't put anything in my own car that wasn't a sound quality product...and I run the Focal 165V1's :cool:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Steven, I want to check those subs out. Who has them?

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
SoundSplinter sells direct. The owners' name is Mike. I think there is are two online companies that I know of that sell them too called Sound Garden and SoundSolutionsAudio. They all sell them for the same price so it doesn't really matter I guess. Just go based on shipping or service.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds pretty good, what major places could I find some of these at? Sound Advice?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts