Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone-

Quick question for you IS300 owerner using synthetic motor oil: Which synthetic motor oil would you recommend?

Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil
OR
Mobil 1

·
Registered
458 Posts
I used Amsoil for 150k miles on my 92 VW corrado vr6 never had any problems When I get my 02 is I plan to use the same.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I run Mobil 1 because I started using it about 10 years ago when I think it was the only readily available synthetic. But I wouldn't have any major heartburn about using
any other good brand. Change it regularly and change the filter at the same time. You'll be ok.

·
300 life
813 Posts
Mobil 1 goes in all my babies! :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
They're all good, just don't fall for the jive that you only have to change them every 20-30K miles, or "just change the filter every 6 months."

Change it at recommended intervals.

·
Registered
286 Posts
One other thing... some of the more expensive synthetic oils have higher levels of zinc. Zinc is a great anti-wear additive, but long-term it can accumulate in the cats and plug them up. Now whether or not that's an issue with the IS300 we won't know for a long time.

Mobil 1 has been "decontented" (less additives) over the years at the request of major manufacturers (also makes it more profitable for Exxon, that's their money-maker).

What am I getting at? I don't know.... well, it's just that having THE BEST may have long term side effects. Too many additives could be a bad thing.

I say just use a $4-5/qt synthetic (they're more similar than different) and change it on a regular basis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts