Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Was wondering your thoughts about switching to synthetic.
I bought the car at 65K and can only assume that regular oil was used.

I've been reading around the forums and people have been saying that switching to synthetic when the car is older may be a bad idea.

Since synthetic is thinner, it may actually leak where as the regular oil is thicker and the natural deposits actually seal some of the gaskets/joints/whatever

Also read that using an inbetween oil is a good idea. A blended synthetic at 10w30

Going in for my reg. maintenance next tuesday. Should I ask the dealer to use 5w30 Synthetic?

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
The viscosity (thicker/thinner) will be the same for the same designation of oils (i.e. 10w30 etc.), regardless. RTFM :p for best oil types (which will change with the oncoming deep frikkin freeze we'll be getting soon) :bigSmile:

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
I was in pretty much the same situation (my car is an '03, purchased at a little over 70000 km, now at around 78000 km). I have no idea what was in there before, but I just changed to synthetic and don't think that it will be an issue. Even though the mileage is somewhat high, I don't think that there will be a problem.

I'm willing to "take a chance", if you can consider it that.

I'm just going to watch the oil level carefully and see how it goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
azzurro said:
I was in pretty much the same situation (my car is an '03, purchased at a little over 70000 km, now at around 78000 km). I have no idea what was in there before, but I just changed to synthetic and don't think that it will be an issue. Even though the mileage is somewhat high, I don't think that there will be a problem.

I'm willing to "take a chance", if you can consider it that.

I'm just going to watch the oil level carefully and see how it goes.
I just bought my 02 at 80k and it has used regular, I will be switching to synthetic on my first service. I've switched at about 80k on my 99 civic (drove it to 100k) as well as my 01 corolla (drove it to 120k) with no problems.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have gone over to synthetic with no issues. I just hit 40K last night.

·
Registered
218 Posts
just go with synthetic!!! with my previous integra (b16a jdm) i swapped the engine and went with synthetic. i assume the engine had 50K clicks on it. and it ran perfect. to be honest i still miss my old car. and with my is3 i switched to synthetic at roughly around 35k. it runs perfect now. actually i think it is recommended to go to synthetic after the break in period. 70+k would be fine also. i'm using 5w50 synthetic blend!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ALRIGHT! I'm going synthetic, I'll use whatever they have at the dealer at first. request a blend first.

AND IF IT LEAKS!

I"M COMING TO YOU ROXSTER!

·
Registered
218 Posts
if there is no leak rite now it should be fine. but it is recommended that u change oil a bit more sooner the first and second time. perhaps the third also. hm.. try not to drive the car hard in the first few 1000kms... let the gaskets get use to the oil. :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Do it!
i was in the same situation as you last month and was a little worried
my car had 93,000km
all i can say is that my motor is LOVING it now!

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
ALRIGHT! I'm doin it.

BUT I"M STILL GOING AFTER ROXSTER IF SOMETHING HAPPENS :)
it should be fine. my friend's integra had no problem with synthetic. he had 210,000km on the motor! but the areas that were leaking got worst though. (like oil pan... lower engine area that wasn't serviced) hey.. wanna do the oil change at my mechanic's place? he's the best.. trust me. and also i can ask him if it is safe to change it or not. he charges me 70$ for synthetic. i use 5w50 castrol synthetic. the really does a good job. he'll leave ur car up the hoist for about an hr and then use the air hose to blow the excess oil in ur engine. and guarantee your oil filter changed! (it's tough to change the oil filter. i don't think the dealer would change it everytime u change your oil. well.. at least i know mine wasn't changed at all till 33,000km!!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Oops...mean't to send a PM

·
Registered
119 Posts
Switching from regular to synthetic shouldn't be a problem with the mileage you have. Unless you know the previous owner didn't change his/her oil much. It'll leak if your seals are bad. Even though it's not leaking right now, doesn't mean it's not going to leak when you change it to synthetic. The gunk from the regular oil acts as a extra layer and temporary clogs up the minor leaks. Due to the superior cleaning agents in synthetic, it'll clean out all the gunks and will leak through the seals. So, it's your call if synthetic is okay or not for your car. I'll say change all the seals first if you are nervous. If it's my car with that mileage, i'll just change it to synthetic. On the long run, it might actually save you more money from all the wears and tears. By the way, make sure your car is not burning excess oil. It's not going to be worth the change if it is.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THanks for all your input guys, what a kick ass thread.
The dealer is putting mobil one synthetic in the car as we speak. They gave me an ES300 to play with in the meantime. THey charged me 198 for the regular service, and an extra 40 for the synthetic.

yeah, think I'll skip the dealership next regular maintenance. maybe just take it to them for the lube service

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ROXSTER!

had my car up on the lift today and guess what...there was some oil leakage
after a closer look, my garage told me that it was probably some spillage or leftovers when they switched the oil filter...nothing to worry about

will keep my eye on it to see if it's actually coming from the car.

I"M GONNA GET YOU SUCKA!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
ROXSTER!

had my car up on the lift today and guess what...there was some oil leakage
after a closer look, my garage told me that it was probably some spillage or leftovers when they switched the oil filter...nothing to worry about

will keep my eye on it to see if it's actually coming from the car.

I"M GONNA GET YOU SUCKA!!!
heakage? impossible man. no way u' can notice leakage in just one day. it is possible from the oil filter. if u can notice oil dripping the following day man your engine is leaking mad. but if there was no leaking previously there will be no problem.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, it's been a couple of days and the oil pressure light hasn't gone on...we have on of those on our car right? I'll check to see if my oil levels have dropped....

so far so good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
well, it's been a couple of days and the oil pressure light hasn't gone on...we have on of those on our car right? I'll check to see if my oil levels have dropped....

so far so good.
hey dude. haha... i'm surprised to know that i only made one little spelling error. i was dead drunk last nite when i typed that msg. i replied after i came back from a wedding. anyway, yeah, your car should be fine. nothing to worry about. drive easy on it for a while to let the engine break in .. i know u're dying to drive it hard and feel the smoothness of synthetic.. but take ur time ;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts