Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got my car used, and this is the fist time im doing an oil change. yes. i have had my car for 15,000 miles, and have never changed the oil. i dont even know how often the previous owner changed it. anyways. is this a smart move or no? i read that usually you guys switch early on, but will 113,000 benefit from synthetic? and since i havent changed my oil for so long? let me know..thanks!

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Not a good idea switching to full synthetic oil at your mileage.....it will start to sip into your seals. You could probably use a synthetic blend but you still have to be careful. Switching to full synthetic is best done on your very 1st or 2nd service.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Not a good idea at all. Waiting 15k miles is an even worse idea though.

Take care of your car, it is what gets you around.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wait, you haven't changed your oil in 15k miles? You know the interval is 7500, right? Have you been checking the level?
In 15,000 miles, it wouldn't be unusual to burn 1.5-2 quarts.

Anyway, switching to synthetic will result in cleaning of old deposits which may reveal any worn seals/etc, which may lead to oil consumption. You can try using something like Valvoline MaxLife synthetic and see what happens.

That said, I switched to synthetic on a 90k mile VR6, and it stopped using oil. I switched at 43k on my IS, and have had no ill consequences.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Aaron...

I really don't understand YOU some times??? :rolleyes:

How can you wait 15k miles to change your oil?? :jawDrop:

You seem to "know", "learn", and "do" lots of stuff to your car since you have been on here..

But come on bro.... !!
You need to change your oil every 5,000 miles... no more.. no less...

The engine is the "heart" of your car... !!!

Joe Z

1 - 6 of 6 Posts