Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(thanks to loungn14 for instructions on how to dissasemble the dash)

Finally got it done... this method is for the lazier folks. Loungn14 has a nice method with neon ropes(you can do a search for it), but I didn't want to have to deal with powering something in the gauge pod.

Once I got the pod out, I removed the 3 large bulbs and the 2 small bulbs all with orange bulb covers. I ordered part # ATM-3207 from Summit Racing (Auto Meter blue bulb covers), 2 packages of 3 covers. I carefully peeled off the orange covers (in case I want to put them back in). The smaller bulbs, including the one illuminating the ignition, will not fit the covers, so I pushed the covers into the hole, then placed the bulbs, making sure that the bulb didn't completely push the cover out of the way.

The only disadvantage to this method is that even on full dash brightness, the gauges are somewhat dim, especially the odometer/trip meter. But it only costs about $7 for the covers (unfortunately, S&H added another $17... ouch!).

I also tried using the PIAA 194 plasma blue bulbs, but they produce a sorta purple/blue color in the gauges, and they are not any brighter than using the stock bulbs with blue covers.

I tried to take pics, but my camera does not do very well in low light conditions without a flash.

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
no prob... :wink:

ya thats the problem with the covers, they kill the brightness of the dash.

Tried that route myself, before going to the neon rope. The rope is as bright as the factory dash color. I also have tried different bulbs and led's. Problems being leds are not omni directional and bulbs are not bright unless you add a lot of them. If anyone needs instructions on how to disassemble let me know...

if you need any advice on bulbs contact wxman. The weathermans got the hookup on bulbs and what you need to go that route...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
loungn14
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing