Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently waxed my car using Mequires yellow wax,w/ the proper applicater and detailing towels. It looks really good until it's in the direct sunlight. In the direct sun you can see slight swirl marks. Keep in mind my car is black, and I know black is really hard when it comes to hiding imperfections. Anyone out there w/ a black car have any tips when it comes to detailing the car. :wink:

·
Registered
660 Posts
AlBoston said:
marco grappasonno said:
I know someone out there has some tips for me! feel free to share how you do it , and you're resualts :)
here is a complete write up i made... Many people asked questions, a lot of good information in this thread.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13563
listen to this guy - he knows is crap. also check out www.autopia.org and www.properautocare.com

best of luck - i have a black is too and it had swirl marks and water spots on it from the dealer... gotta get it looking good :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
i had mine for 5 months, and have swirl mark also !!
i hate that... :cry:

·
Registered
204 Posts
marco grappasonno said:
I recently waxed my car using Mequires yellow wax,w/ the proper applicater and detailing towels. It looks really good until it's in the direct sunlight. In the direct sun you can see slight swirl marks. Keep in mind my car is black, and I know black is really hard when it comes to hiding imperfections. Anyone out there w/ a black car have any tips when it comes to detailing the car. :wink:
Another tip, be very careful what towels you use... Most of the towels and the shop rags you buy in auto parts stores aren't 100% cotton, even if they say they are. I've seen a lot of swirls and scratches from those towels.

Go to K-Mart, and pick up some cannon or feildcrest 100% cotton terry bath towels. I think you can get like 3 for $10. These are much softer than shop towels and won't scratch. If they're too big, cut them down to a workable size. And always wash them seperately with no fabric softener.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try this solution.

Use the following products. It is a lot of work but the results are great. I prefer hand polishing because I really don't trust myself with buffers.

3m Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Colors
3m Finesse It II Machine Polish

Use these products to eliminate your marks. The Finesse It is more of a spot treatment rather than a whole car application. Use it on the deeper scrathes.

The final step is to seal the car in a carnauba wax. The most carnauba you can have in a wax is I think 40%. Carnauba in pure form is a rock so therefore any waxes that say 100% carnauba are false. But the more carnauba the better.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Swirl Marks/Products

I have been hand washing all of my Vehicles forever, being in my 30's (just brought up the median age in here by ##!) anyway When I took delivery of my Graphite Grey Pearl 2003 IS300 I was pretty satisfied except for the fact that the lot jockey that prepped it dried it with a towel that probably resembled a brillo pad!, it was parked in the shade and the slight swirls were not visible, but on the drive home with my Wife following in our 2002 Odyssey, she stopped me at a light and said I should turn around and bring it right back, my focus was driving my new toy, so I knew my positive Survey hungry Salesman would be kissing my ass soon enough and I would be getting the "Lexus Experience" sooner than expected. Sure enough the next day my Salesman called and asked if I was happy, I related the gripe about the condition of the finish to him, he told me to bring it in, they would look at it and either send it out or fix it in house.
I went in on the appointed day, I was told that it was going to a local Detail Shop that does great work, given the guy's card, a IS300 Loaner/Beater for the day.
Needless to say Vegas is a small town and I had the time so I went over to the shop, the owner Rich Light was full of knowledge and enthusiasm in the care and proper presentation of paint and when I told him I do it all myself he showed me the Guru Reports and Products he was developing similar to Zainos, he also recommended I wash with a Sea Sponge(which I Later Bought), and he gets Super big ones from the East Coast, He also uses a better machine than the Porter Cable and only costs about $50 more, Boeing uses them on their Planes!, he had a Porter Cable there and didn't recommend it.
Anyhow he will be selling his products soon, but my IS is looking like a Showcar, Products I use: P21s Wheel Cleaner, Mothers Wash Gel, Eiman Fabrik Black Satin for Tires, Granite Autogrooming Spray (similar to Zainos spray but secret formula...for now) Stoner Invisible Glass.
I also use a Toro Lawn and Leaf Blower to Dry my Vehicles, my neighbors think I'm nuts but it works, no hand, no towels!, I use Blue Microfibre for Product application and 100% USA Cotton Towels are alway's around.
Eagle one Tire Dressing Foam Pads are good with the Gel.
and Disposable Medical Gloves Invaluable for keeping the Hands Dry and different types of Products from "crossing". WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!

http://www.graniteautogrooming.com/home.html

http://www.gurureports.org/press/wax-test-2002-release.html

http://www.zainobros.com/index.shtml

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
jayinVegas
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing