Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my self install knowledge extends about as far as my intake and exhaust with an oil change thrown in there somewhere.

I started the install for my hotchkiss sways today but didn't get too far. I removed the splash guards from the front and then had to remove the stock sways. The instructions said to use a 14mm wrench AND a 5mm allen wrench. How do you use these both at the same time? What needs to be turned? I tried unscrewing the bolt with just a 14mm socket but had no luck. . . anything to help loosen those things up?

I know this question is stupid to most people on here but i'd really appreciate the help so I can finish this job tomorrow. If anyone has any other tips or tricks for this job, I'm all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
When you're loosening the bolt with the 14mm rachet, stick the 5mm allen key in the middle of the nut. The key will hold the nut in place, while you twist it off with the rachet.

Remember, left loosey, righty tighty. =]

-crontab -l

·
Registered
831 Posts
ISthree00 said:
Ok my self install knowledge extends about as far as my intake and exhaust with an oil change thrown in there somewhere.

I started the install for my hotchkiss sways today but didn't get too far. I removed the splash guards from the front and then had to remove the stock sways. The instructions said to use a 14mm wrench AND a 5mm allen wrench. How do you use these both at the same time? What needs to be turned? I tried unscrewing the bolt with just a 14mm socket but had no luck. . . anything to help loosen those things up?

I know this question is stupid to most people on here but i'd really appreciate the help so I can finish this job tomorrow. If anyone has any other tips or tricks for this job, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Just out of curiousity, from what I can gather here your installing this with jacks right? Let me know how it turns out I was afraid to install sways myself because I figured it would be impossible without a lift.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
When I installed my sways I used a hydraulic jack. It's fine but make sure you're using jack stands too to be safe.

I find the bolts that tie the sway bar on the control arm to be very tight. You might want to spray it with some liquid wrench and let it soak a little.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flproject13 said:
ISthree00 said:

Just out of curiousity, from what I can gather here your installing this with jacks right? Let me know how it turns out I was afraid to install sways myself because I figured it would be impossible without a lift.
ahh finally installed. only took me 1h 45min. which wasn't bad in my mind considering i'm a complete car mechanic newbie. and yes i did use a hydraulic jack, 2 jack stands and wheel chocks. that's the bare minimum i'd use to do it.

i also bought a 1" wide 2ft long metal pipe at teh depot and used it as a breaker bar for those 14mm bolts on the control arm. that made it a cinch.

i like them - only took a 5 minute drive but the car now feels like it's on rails. and i am on the hard setting. quite a change going from stock to these :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
the allen wrench holds the the nut from turning and the 14 mm wrench will losen the bolt...you have to do the same thing when ur installing the hotchkis..goodluck you can pm me if you have more problems we did a sway install today at the BBQ and we ran into this problem but we figured it out

·
Registered
804 Posts
You can also see my post from a couple weeks ago called "Sway install tips". I would post the link, but I'm too dumb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts