Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Yes.

I had new sways on my car long before new springs. Definitely a great upgrade that has no ride penalty.

Sways bar performance is pretty much unrelated to and unaffected by ride height.

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
wowcrazy said:
But I heard that if the sway bars are too stiff, it is not good to the car... True???
you feel the road more.. and like all suspension mods, changing the travel/stiffness/flexibility of the suspension will likely "age" the car quicker, as nuts and bolts and whatnot will come loose faster due to the harsher ride.

however just sways wouldn't be that significant. the decreased body roll more than makes up for any complaints you might have about feeling the bumps in the road a little more.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
wowcrazy said:
But I heard that if the sway bars are too stiff, it is not good to the car... True???
Yes, but that'd have to be REALLY stiff. With no sway bar on the car, the left and right sides of the suspension would work completely independently - the car will ROLL all over the place. Now, lock the two sides together (somehow - theoretically) - what will happen is the car won't roll at all, however it will likely LIFT the opposite-side wheel in a turn. Not a good thing either. Sways bars are a compromise between those two extremes. The stiffer the sways, they more they act like a locked suspension.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for clarifying my question/concern, webmaster and irv_usc.

So, the TRD race sways wouldn't consider too stiff, right? Because that's what I am planning to get, since everyone here recommends them.

Or are the TRD street sways better???

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just got done installing my TRD yellow sways and WOW I love them :p

The car just plants itself around corners now...awesome :D

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
The TRD Yellow (race) and the Hotchkis sways are both great. The Hotchkis are a little stiffer and have some adjustability. I'd go for those.

But neither are TOO stiff. ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well.. in any case, i ordered my hotchkins from is300soon (david)... and i'll be putting them in soon... i'll let you guys now how it feels.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
toekneepark said:
well.. in any case, i ordered my hotchkins from is300soon (david)... and i'll be putting them in soon... i'll let you guys now how it feels.
Sweet, I would have got hotchkins but I got a super sweet deal on my new TRD sways 8)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
reviving old post... flame me!!! but if you're still around how do they feel because im thinking about purchasing them.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
reviving old post... flame me!!! but if you're still around how do they feel because im thinking about purchasing them.
you should of revived a more recent thread...anyways, well i have them, LOVE THEM! most best improvement in handling besides lowering my car, good sways, and im still on the lightest setting, (it has two setting light and stiff)

·
S B D
1,727 Posts
I like my Hotchkis, but if you have been paying attention on the forums you will see the pics of the snapped Hotchkis bars. The company's build quality is in question these days.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
actually i haven't :p

·
S B D
1,727 Posts
Just to give you an idea of how big a difference sway bars make, the only IS300s I know of that compete in SCCA nationals run just sways and shocks (stock height). The reason being in some classes springs/lowering is not allowed, so they use sticky tires, aggressive camber and a good shock/sway setup.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought my car with the TRD yellow sways already on it, can someone fill me in as to what I would have noticed had I done this upgrade myself? How much would they have cost and do they require any maintenance (retightening of bolts, greasing of bushings)?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts