Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've got stock shocks and springs...stock sways and no strut bars.
Spoke with a buddy of mine who's head high in car knowledge, and he said that I should swap out my shocks for new ones. I asked him which aftermarket and he suggested OEM. He said the OEM's are solid in most respects and are made to last.

So I went ahead and purchased some stock shocks off an 05. 3 weeks old. I've been looking at the L-Tuned Springs and the L-Tuned sways (Red)

So with the stock shocks, what is a good setup for canadians...taking into consideration the winter, the summer, our potholes, etc.

THanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
since you're in T.O. and you get a fair bit of snow and stuff like that, going with l-tuned springs (or eibachs) would be great since the drop isn't that much, but still looks nice. In terms of sway bars, i think it's mostly personal preference. IMO the l-tuned weren't stiff enough, but then again, the stiffer you go, the roughly the ride is generally. Anyways, if you are looking for l-tuned sways, give me a pm. I've got a used set that i will be selling very shortly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
Hey guys,

So I've got stock shocks and springs...stock sways and no strut bars.
Spoke with a buddy of mine who's head high in car knowledge, and he said that I should swap out my shocks for new ones. I asked him which aftermarket and he suggested OEM. He said the OEM's are solid in most respects and are made to last.

So I went ahead and purchased some stock shocks off an 05. 3 weeks old. I've been looking at the L-Tuned Springs and the L-Tuned sways (Red)

So with the stock shocks, what is a good setup for canadians...taking into consideration the winter, the summer, our potholes, etc.

THanks
hey happy. yeah, i'd have to agree that the stock shocks are made to last. and as a matter of fact, the rear ones are tokico shocks! i assume the front ones too. but they're not very hard. so if u want some performance... get some very stiff springs. i don't know of any brand though.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want the best of both world...I want a comfy ride, and i don't want to feel every bump in the road. Those 18" L-Tuned wheels make the ride damn bumpy
And I want some extra performance in handling

I think the rears are tokico and thr front say toyota on them. I have a new set at the garage waiting for some springs...

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I'm on L-tuned springs, tokico illumina adj. shocks and 18" rims. Ride is not bumpy at all, you can adjust the shocks so it rides better than stock both handling and comfort wise.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm on stock shocks and LTuned springs and sways. Noticably better handling without sacrificing much ride comfort.

One thing you will notice is that in winter it doesn't take much snow before you feel it on the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderful! hahaha, this is gonna be an interesting winter...should I wait till next spring to install the springs?

WNorkle, what hardware came with the L-Tuned sways???

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Whats up WNorkle, good to see a fellow calgarian is'er here in the forums.

Ill probly wait until next spring to drop my car. Too much damn snow here is calgary. winter should probly start here in another month and a half or so.

·
Registered
488 Posts
happysmp said:
Wonderful! hahaha, this is gonna be an interesting winter...should I wait till next spring to install the springs?

WNorkle, what hardware came with the L-Tuned sways???
You got about 1 month... not really worth it.. just slap em on @ the first sight of pavement next year... no point in plowing your street for 1 month of nice cornering :p

-bless

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
I've got Eibach (L-Tuned) springs sitting in my garage. I tried to install them a little while ago and failed miserably. I think you may need Hercules to get those front sway bar endlinks off.

You can actually install them without unbolting the front sway bars, but now I'm debating whether I should just wait or not.

The IS handles so poorly on stock springs (when pushed). I have a manual too, which I hear has stiffer springs. I don't know how you auto guys survive...

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I've tried a few things and am very happy with my current setup. It's not for everyone, but it's comfortable and still works for autox:

Hotchkis springs
Stock shocks
Hotchkis front sway
Stock rear sway
PLP front strut bar
PLP rear strut bar

I should mention I have 18x8 wheels with 235/40/18 tires.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
webmaster said:
No, you just need an allen wrench on the inside of the nut...
I was using an allen wrench :)

When the nut and bolt are rusted so finely that they are physically one piece and soaking in WD40 and other products doesn't help, you'll need a lot more than an allen wrench to get it off. Like a saw.

·
Registered
140 Posts
azzurro said:
I was using an allen wrench :)

When the nut and bolt are rusted so finely that they are physically one piece and soaking in WD40 and other products doesn't help, you'll need a lot more than an allen wrench to get it off. Like a saw.
hahaha HERCULES!

Reactions: happysmp

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just bought sways from sil-300

They look great! a little purple...they supposed to be this colour?
Plan to install when I get my springs...thanks again!!!

+REP for you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts