Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering what sway bars are good for daily drivers. i want to have a comfortable ride without the body rolls when doing turns.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i'd say either eibach or hotchikis sways are good, seems to be the two popular ones

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Go with Eibach...

Reactions: what it IS

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
if interested.... most of the really aware suspension guys who value handling/road holding have actually run a STOCK rear bar with an after market front.......

basically..with the already inherent tail happy quality of this chassis & suspension...tightening up the front AND rear with sways basically just exacerbates that issue in general..... the best compromise for the best handling is to keep the back "soft" in comparison to the front..allowing the rear to keep biting instead of sliding when you are driving agressively...

I have been thru every combo almost with 5 different brands of bars
OEM
Ltuned
Hotchkis
Area-51
Cusco

& now i run a Cusco (STIFF) front with the Ltuned (Eibach) (SOFT) rear... set to soft... i am testing this & then I will try the OEM rear.... the most agressive guys i have heard run with NO rr Sway (!)

If interested i have a virtually new front Hotchkis sway bar available...

i am about to post it for sale... it would be a great and low cost option that will tighten up the car alot but not increase the tendency to slide the rear...

take care & good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still not sure yet :( having a hard time deciding over hotchkis and eibachs still. is there a new batch of hotchkis that won't snap? anyone got anything good or bad to say about hotchkis and eibachs?

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
i'm with edgy as long as you have modified springs/shocks or moreso with coilovers. you'd want to go with a slightly stiffer front and close to stock rear.

imo hotchkis and daizen are way too stiff for modded suspension. spend your money on a good coilover system and keep your sways stock is another option. and more cost effective

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
i have had no problems with 2 different sets of Hotchkis sways & i have only heard of the rear breaking not the front...?

i just went with the Cusco because i already run some of their key IS components... the front arms & rear CF strut bar & triangle brace...
i got a really good deal on the front cusco sway bar...figured i'd build on my sorta half assed "JDM" theme

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
edgy... I'm not sure if I can agree with your observations. My IS300 in stock form was not overly tail-happy. Infact... when I pushed beyond it's limit... it tended to understeer slightly more than anything else.

When it comes to DAILY DRIVING... Eibach is the brand of choice. With Eibach stuff (and Bilstein shocks) my car is now lower... hardly rolls at all... and its handling is greatly improved... all without sacrificing ride quality!

When I was looking for suspension components I made it known that I was not building a track car... and while I wanted to improve handling and appearance... I needed a car that was still comfortable enough to drive everyday to work, etc. Person after person... and shop after shop all told me to go with Eibach. Now after having Eibach stuff installed on my car... I am going to give the same recommendation to other people... if you want suspension components for your daily driver... go with EIBACH. :approve:

Reactions: anfro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont really plan on lowering my car anytime soon...so would the eibachs still be good? i read somewhere that hotchkis are the way to go if i plan on having a stock suspension somewhere

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also im not looking into putting my car to the tracks, just a daily driver, making the ride more comfortable, less body roll, and more fun to drive

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
TCM_SD_IS300... sounds like you have the same goals I was going for when I fixed my car. So... get my setup and go with Eibachs.

There is nothing wrong with installing just sways. I had just Eibach sways for a while. What resulted was the ride quality was the same as stock... but body roll was reduced A LOT!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
the most agressive guys i have heard run with NO rr Sway (!)
I'm tempted to go back to this, the f'ing rear bit like no other!

For what your asking TCM_SD_IS300, sounds like you need the hotchkis, or at the least TRD yellows.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I'm tempted to go back to this, the f'ing rear bit like no other!

For what your asking TCM_SD_IS300, sounds like you need the hotchkis, or at the least TRD yellows.
You're telling him to run some of the stiffer bars made for the IS300 for daily driver purposes?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
thanks crester! +rep. what settings do u recommend me putting it on?
Well you should try things out for yourself because different people have different preferences. Anyways... I have my rear bar in middle stiffness.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You're telling him to run some of the stiffer bars made for the IS300 for daily driver purposes?
Yup, low stress daily purposes where the anti-roll effect is maximum, the harsh ride minimum (OE spring/shocks retained rather than going stiffer), grip not kept in mind nor the stress the hotchkis can make in hard situations such as tracking.

Will they effect ride, yes, they reduce the "independent" nature of the suspension, but the ride quality expense is far less than springs/shocks IMO. But if he wants significant anti roll without stiffness, a more advanced more expensive car is whats needed, such as the new STS-V that can change shock dampening in milliseconds.

I have the TRD red/Eibach sways, and have ridden in cars that have the Hotchkis. IMO it didn't dramatically effect strait line smoothness, it'll be fine ride quality wise, IMO the Eibachs are too soft to make a night/day difference in body roll all by themselves.

Don't mean to come off rude, just an explanation of my reasoning, and I used "IMO" a lot as I know how one perceives ride is different than another.

Now if it comes to springs I totally agree with you, Eibach (Tanabe might have comparable ride quality). If he wants to go lower in ride hight then IMO it should be a choice between the Eibach Sportlines or the H&Rs (I dare say that the H&Rs might be smoother than the sportlines, but I'm not sure on that).

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Yup, low stress daily purposes where the anti-roll effect is maximum, the harsh ride minimum (OE spring/shocks retained rather than going stiffer), grip not kept in mind nor the stress the hotchkis can make in hard situations such as tracking.

Will they effect ride, yes, they reduce the "independent" nature of the suspension, but the ride quality expense is far less than springs/shocks IMO. But if he wants significant anti roll without stiffness, a more advanced more expensive car is whats needed, such as the new STS-V that can change shock dampening in milliseconds.

I have the TRD red/Eibach sways, and have ridden in cars that have the Hotchkis. IMO it didn't dramatically effect strait line smoothness, it'll be fine ride quality wise, IMO the Eibachs are too soft to make a night/day difference in body roll all by themselves.

Don't mean to come off rude, just an explanation of my reasoning, and I used "IMO" a lot as I know how one perceives ride is different than another.

Now if it comes to springs I totally agree with you, Eibach (Tanabe might have comparable ride quality). If he wants to go lower in ride hight then IMO it should be a choice between the Eibach Sportlines or the H&Rs (I dare say that the H&Rs might be smoother than the sportlines, but I'm not sure on that).
black, perhaps we should just recommend Eibach to all the newer people just in case they get over confident with their stock springs and stiff sways and wrap themselves around a pole. =T

please ignore everything else that the trackers have recommended and buy Eibachs like Crester has reccomended.

in all seriousness, TCM, unless you are road racing or in the esses a lot, a good amount of controllable body lean is good for you. Please let us know a little more about your driving experience and purpose for your car. Also tires are important. if you have crappy tires, then stiff sways will kill your handling. Your age/driving personality might help here too.

As it stands, knowing that you will be going with a soft suspension setup and that you don't track your car, i would recommend a stiffer sway setup to reduce body lean. However everyones perception of body lean is different. Some are happy with Eibachs, some love Daizen. And every spring/shock/sway setup will feel different. right now i run soft sways and a moderately stiff suspension setup and i love it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, like i said previously, i dont really plan on dropping my car or at least not for a long time. i dont do alot of street races but i occasionally do when commuting from school and home in the weekends (hour long drive). all i'm really looking for is to make the ride more comfortable for myself and my passengers so they wont be flying around, a more comfortable ride. at times there are turns where i turn fast on which makes me end up on one ass cheek.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts