Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my sways and heard about many mentioning to lube it to prevent clunking noises. What should the intervals be? I also didnt lube anything during installation. I'm gonna have my 5k check up Monday...would asking the dealership to lube every check up be enough??

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
really? i was curious about this too since mines makes a clunking noise every now and them. i didnt lube anything during installation too because i didnt really think it was necesary. does anyone know what parts to lubricate?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
FutraSupraCharged IS300 said:
really? i was curious about this too since mines makes a clunking noise every now and them. i didnt lube anything during installation too because i didnt really think it was necesary. does anyone know what parts to lubricate?
The parts that you lube is the area where the brushings go. you kinda have to take off the brushings and then lube with silcone. Once lubed then put the brushings back and then install back, that will get rid of that clunking sound

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
you lube the inner surface of the rubber bushings, the part where the bushing contacts the metal sway bar. if this part is dry, when the rubber is rubbed hard against the metal, it makes a nasty creak/squeak that is very annoying. so just make sure its lubricated once in a while. most sway bars require that you loosen the bolts, remove the bracket and take out the bushing to grease it, but some like the hotchkis one, there is a small hole in the bracket and bushing that leads to the inside of the bushing so it can be greased without removing anything. also some sway bars wrap teflon tape around the area instead of using grease, that works too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
be careful when you lube up where you put your hands. i installed my hotchkiss sways and after i was done i noticed i had greasy hand prints all over my back bumper. . . and they don't come off. not with water, not with a wash, not with a towel. . finally had to break out the orbital buffer for 5 minutes and take them off. just be careful if you don't want to do that or if you don't have a buffer. . . :chill:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
if you lube it up and you still hear clunking, it's probably your brake pads. from what i've read, ungreased sways make more of a squeaking noise, and the most common clunking noise comes from the movement of the brake pads.

-eric

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
You can use spray silicone to keep the rubber from drying out. While youre under the car it's a good idea to spray all the rubber boots on the steerring and suspension with silicone. That helps keep them from cracking in the long run. Same thing goes for the boots on the rear axle and suspension.

the other option is to remove the bushings and grease the inner surfaces with marine grade grease. It's the same kind of grease used on boat trailer wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts