Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing out my shocks over the weekend. So I tried taking off the sway bar from the link and stripped the 5mm hex bolt. Before stripping it, I was able to turn the 14mm nut once, so now my sway bar is loose. Since the bolt is stripped, I can't take the nut off nor tighten it.
Would it be okay to try and cut the bolt off? And does anyone know the Lexus/Toyota part number for the end links? I rather buy from Lexus since I can get it next day. It bothers me to drive around with the clunking noise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I end up buying from ebay. Hopefully a friend with a good cutting tool can cut off the old link. It's so stripped I have no choice but to cut it.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Have you tried a screw extractor?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just drilled them out!
Its a 10mm bolt so I used a 6mm drill first and then a 10mm drill and the nut popped off.

If you want to save your endlink, you could grind 2 parallel areas on the 17mm bolt-area on the rear of the sways and hold the bolt with a wrench. But dont touch the rubberseal cuz theres grease inside, that comes out easy if you dont be careful.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I used vice grips, PB blaster, a torch, and a torque wrench... they came off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried a screw extractor?
Screw extractor won't work because the bolt will turn too.

I just drilled them out!
Its a 10mm bolt so I used a 6mm drill first and then a 10mm drill and the nut popped off.

If you want to save your endlink, you could grind 2 parallel areas on the 17mm bolt-area on the rear of the sways and hold the bolt with a wrench. But dont touch the rubberseal cuz theres grease inside, that comes out easy if you dont be careful.
Drilling them out sounds like it might work. With the only tools I have at home, that would be my best option right now. But of course I can't do it yet until the new links arrives.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Drilling them out sounds like it might work. With the only tools I have at home, that would be my best option right now. But of course I can't do it yet until the new links arrives.

Thats why I decided to drill them out, cuz my (wannabe) dremel quit working. Just hold the nut with w wrench so the bolt cant turn and drill them out. You can start with a very small drill (4mm) and work yourself up till the nut pops off :cool:

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
It's torqued on there tight for a reason. If it's not tight then you will hear clunking.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Got it off with a 16" torque wrench... I didn't even need to use the hex tool? I got it to torque on @ 30lb/ft just fine. I guess my links were so rusted and stiff that I didn't need to use the hex tool.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes if you use super excessive force I believe. I set it to like 70lb/ft and I didn't hear the torque wrench click. You are suppose to stop applying force when you hear the click. It was way more torque than needed so I don't think I damaged anything.

Btw, my front end link bolts were super stiff. I sprayed some wd40 and waited 10 mins and it came off. I also sprayed the threads with wd40 to remove some of the rusting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.