Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! New to the IS community and cars in general so go easy on me. Picking up my first project, a 2001 is300 that was recently swapped to a w58 MT. To my understanding, the car thinks it’s in park and makes the car run poorly with the swap. I picked up a 2jz-ge M/T ecu off facebook marketplace but it didn’t come with the key that’s synced to said ECU. Plugged it in but security light comes on. What are my options to reprogram the original key to the new ECU? and also anything tips or tricks i need to know. Thanks in advance! Excuse my ignorance, fairly new to all of this.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dealer must reprogram. Why not just buy the conversion adapter for $80. To use the auto ecu with a stick.
I thought only the 2001 ECUs required dealership involvement to reset/reprogram in the case of a lost master key. Isn't there a way to program a new master key for 2002+ (M/T implies 2002+)?
Also, who makes this adapter; what's the part number and/or how does it work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought only the 2001 ECUs required dealership involvement to reset/reprogram in the case of a lost master key. Isn't there a way to program a new master key for 2002+ (M/T implies 2002+)?
Would love to know if this true! Is there a way to tell what year ecu it is? TOYOTA 89661-53310 is what it says on it. Followed by 2JZ-GE M/T

·
4,797 Posts
Also, who makes this adapter; what's the part number and/or how does it work?
Not without the master key to the ecu. If you do not have the key associated with the ecu. The dealer must do it. Otherwise there is a guy in Russia that can remove the immobilizer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I did some research, and it's not clear to me if you'll be able to accomplish this yourself, or even if a dealership will be willing to help anymore.
By my understanding of the information shared in the sticky (Do I have LSD? I need a replacement key! + General Info...), for 2002+, one simply needs a key that is already associated with the immobilizer in order to program new keys to the immobilizer and remote system, not necessarily a "master" key (a key with integrated remote+immobilizer chip). I don't know, but I assume the immobilizer circuitry is integrated with the ECU; confirmation is appreciated if anyone knows.

The document titled Wireless Door Lock Control Programming from Lexus, linked to in the mentioned sticky, indicates that the remote system can be cleared of all registered codes (keys) and new ones can be added simply by using the key to unlock the door and ignition. My assumption is that this is true, but the key must be recognized by the immobilizer for this to work; or alternatively, that this procedure will work and allow the key to operate the remote system, but the immobilizer will still actively refuse and thus the key not start the vehicle.

Check the heading Lost Keys / Adding Keys / Replacing Broken Keys in the first post of the sticky, and the follow-up posts mentioning "key."

Would love to know if this true! Is there a way to tell what year ecu it is? TOYOTA 89661-53310 is what it says on it. Followed by 2JZ-GE M/T
The IS300 was not available with a manual transmission until the 2002 year; I believe it's safe to assume this ECU is at least a 2002, and not subject to whatever complications the 2001 year has.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I also found this... he says it's worked on '04, '05, '06 Lexus, maybe it will work for you? Worth a shot for just a paper clip and 30 minutes. Let us know!

·
Registered
711 Posts
This video clarifies that the immobilizer chip is integrated into the ECU on certain models; I assume the IS300.
As well, it clarifies the "master" keys are the first two keys programmed, and the third (and presumably fourth) keys are "valet"/non-"master" keys, and have a different security associated with them.
Last, it shows that clearing the immobilizer is relatively straight-forward, it's just an EEPROM chip. If you need, I could probably perform this clearing service, or swap immobilizer EEPROM chips if you're willing to send the ECU(s) and perhaps wait until I find time some evening(s).

·
Registered
2004 5-speed, w/ LSD & Sport package 😎
129 Posts
Hey guys! New to the IS community and cars in general so go easy on me. Picking up my first project, a 2001 is300 that was recently swapped to a w58 MT. To my understanding, the car thinks it’s in park and makes the car run poorly with the swap. I picked up a 2jz-ge M/T ecu off facebook marketplace but it didn’t come with the key that’s synced to said ECU. Plugged it in but security light comes on. What are my options to reprogram the original key to the new ECU? and also anything tips or tricks i need to know. Thanks in advance! Excuse my ignorance, fairly new to all of this.
you COULD try to make the car think it's in neutral by fiddling with the neutral safety switch, but just my 2 cents. Hope you find what you need!

·
Registered
6 Posts
From my understanding a later ecu from a manual will not work out of the box. There are a bunch of pins on the harness not in the same location. Hints why getting a standalone piggy back they are year specific. The auto transmission simulator will only be needed if you are in a state that requires emissions testing and a cel is an instant fail. With the natural safty bypass you will not lose any power. It will not pull timing like people think. The 01 and up are different that way.

My car is an 01 with a cd009. The previous owner did the work but he did the safty switch bypass. I'll be getting a standalone to get rid of the cel and e throttle but it's not needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts