Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, SpeedVentures will be running the Streets of Willow Springs track again the weekend of August 2nd and 3rd 2003. Here are the details:

Price: $100 one day, or $175 for both days ( + $30 instructor fee required for novices per day)

Duration: 2 days 5 hours of track time per group!**

Track: Streets of Willow Springs Rosamond, CA (near Lancaster)

Registration: open on the website: http://www.speedventures.net/event_forms.asp

Timing: Transponders are available for rental.

Event Info:

The Streets of Willow Springs is a favorite short track in the Los Angeles area, popular with magazines for car tests and an excellent learning track as well. Turns are moderate-speed (35 - 70mph), making it a safe place to take your street car and find its limits. All the turns but one have wide runoff areas of well-packed dirt. This track is highly-recommended for car and driver development due to it's lower-speed, technical nature.

We will be running the full track in the Clockwise direction on Saturday, and counter-clockwise on Sunday, including the north loop. Neither the chicanes nor the bend through the infield "A" section will be used, there will be a sweeper through the skidpad instead. We will be running four run groups, with five sessions per group, totalling 2 hours per group. Details on the day's schedule are available here.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Streets of Willowsprings was a fun track to drive on when I went last year (with the SE-R club or SERCA). I never experienced so much late apexes/off-camber turns in my life. It's so unlike Autox. Down the straights, you'll be going at 90ish mph and before going into a off-camber, late apex turn, you'll end up braking hard and heel-toe downshift all the while. Very fun stuff. :D

I did witness a accident there though. Turns out a beginner driver let off throttle on the turn after the chicane and spun out, all the while a experienced driver in behind followed too close and while trying to avoid missing the car in front, SMACK!!

Overall, I think Streets is very fun, However IMO, I think it would be best if a newbie road-racer/autoxer get at least 1 autox or evo school under there belt so they get a feel of the racing line as well as not get overwhelmed with driving at a higher speed. Heel-toe downshifting is a must here. That's how I first learned how.

Have fun out there...too bad I money is tight right now...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speedtrap said:
Overall, I think Streets is very fun, However IMO, I think it would be best if a newbie road-racer/autoxer get at least 1 autox or evo school under there belt so they get a feel of the racing line as well as not get overwhelmed with driving at a higher speed. Heel-toe downshifting is a must here. That's how I first learned how.

Well, instruction is available from experienced drivers, and this is the safest track in the state to learn on. Obviously things can happen on any track, but as an event organizer who actually warns newbies away from events at Sears and Laguna due to the dangers there, this is the track I'd suggest people learn on, fwiw.

·
Registered
180 Posts
fluxen said:
speedtrap said:

Well, instruction is available from experienced drivers, and this is the safest track in the state to learn on. Obviously things can happen on any track, but as an event organizer who actually warns newbies away from events at Sears and Laguna due to the dangers there, this is the track I'd suggest people learn on, fwiw.
True enough. I would rather be on this course than at Laguna or Infineon. I had my bud's (who are really good driver's come out with me and show me the line and braking points. The main thing is going at the speed you feel comfortable with and not get intimidated by everything you can't control (i.e. cars behind you) and always keep inmind that the goal is to be able to drive the car back home

·
Registered
762 Posts
I went w/ my IS a few months ago w/ a different group. It was actually my first time on a designated track (streets) w/ the IS. I was definitely intimidated w/ everyone, but i got the grasp of it after the first lap. It's great to find the best line, and really learn your car in a safe controlled enviornment. I encourage all to do it, and i'll be there in Sept again.

Thanks for the heads up about this .

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's a fun little track (either for beginner or advanced drivers). Since it's not as high speed as other tracks I think it's a great place for first timers. Speedventures runs a great event. Too bad I'll be at thunderhill on those days.
We need more IS300's at these events!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey Dave, i think i met u at willow springs the other time. I was the IS w/ the wheels and brakes. ( the only other IS there) was that you at willow springs a lil bit ago?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm going on Saturday. First time out on a track, and looking forward to it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I should be there saturday as well. Assuming my new lsd goes in smoothly this time...

It'll be my first track event in the IS. Should be fun, SpeedVentures is a good group.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just got my appendix out.
Looks like I won't be going anywhere this weekend. Have fun everyone. See you next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts