Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I bought skunk2 coils on stock shocks. I took them off my car and was running stock for a while.
Finally I am getting ready to buy some new shocks (aftermarket).

Can comeone tell me how to remove the skunk2 coils from the stock shock and put them onto the aftermarket shock I will be getting.

I am looking at some adjustible shocks. Illuminas or AGX.

Thanks.

Also, Can I put different spring on my skunk2 height adjusters?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Blairbabi

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,813 Posts
Coils?

Perhaps you mean SPRINGS?

Go to autozone and rent a spring compressor.

Try not to injure yourself in the process.
 

·
Virgin Magnet
Joined
·
8,768 Posts
Beachtyme said:
Coils?

Perhaps you mean SPRINGS?

Go to autozone and rent a spring compressor.

Try not to injure yourself in the process.
what do you think a spring is? - its a coil on our cars, not a leaf spring

he's right don't bash

answer your question i am not sure how the Skunk2 coilover things work - my gues though is that technically you cna only "raise" them fso if you did get other sporings you would need to get custom shorter ones, and yes spring compressors to get them off - jsut liek you took the old ones off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,813 Posts
somguy2u said:
what do you think a spring is? - its a coil on our cars, not a leaf spring

he's right don't bash

answer your question i am not sure how the Skunk2 coilover things work - my gues though is that technically you cna only "raise" them fso if you did get other sporings you would need to get custom shorter ones, and yes spring compressors to get them off - jsut liek you took the old ones off
Relax there, cowboy.

"Can comeone tell me how to remove the skunk2 coils from the stock shock and put them onto the aftermarket shock I will be getting."

Sounds like he wants to remove his SPRINGS from the STRUTS/SHOCKS, which can be accomplished using a SPRING COMPRESSOR.

"Coils" is a term normally used for "Coilovers" (as in I have Tein Flex COILOVERS on my IS).

Removing the springs is a fairly simple process and I am more than glad to assist via the forum or PM.
 

·
Virgin Magnet
Joined
·
8,768 Posts
Beachtyme said:
Relax there, cowboy.

"Can comeone tell me how to remove the skunk2 coils from the stock shock and put them onto the aftermarket shock I will be getting."

Sounds like he wants to remove his SPRINGS from the STRUTS/SHOCKS, which can be accomplished using a SPRING COMPRESSOR.

"Coils" is a term normally used for "Coilovers" (as in I have Tein Flex COILOVERS on my IS).

Removing the springs is a fairly simple process and I am more than glad to assist via the forum or PM.
once again

your teins are adjustable coilovers

a stock IS has coilovers

coil-over-shock design

and we don't have struts - those are for mcpherson setups

easy there cowboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)


^
Those are groundcontrol...but anyway...

I refer to those as "coils" because they are not quiet springs...yet not quiet coilovers...


So i have those on my stock shocks....
I would like to apple the adjustable part onto a Tokico Illumina shock...and maybe replace the skunk2 springs with something like eibach or hotchkis....

I honor your assistance.


Spring compressor is not needed, the spring travels freely over the shock, when he shock is fully rebound. This shock is probably blow, I can easily compress and decompress it with my hands.

I assume I just have to unscrew the screw ontop of the shock, and the shock will become two parts. Then I can just slide off the spring/height control thing.
 

·
Virgin Magnet
Joined
·
8,768 Posts
yes, just remove the upper mount

the top nut shoudl be all that holds it on- make sure the spring is free and not compressed when doing so or the mount will hurt you as it flys around the room.

as for chaning to a different spring since the springs mentioned aree sdesigned for stock shocks they are going to be very long and when you add your ehight adjsuter the lowest setting is going ot be higher than factory(i think if it jsut sits on teh perches) if you are romoving the perches and replacing with these things(again i have no idea how this works) then you would be ok. skunk 2 offers custom spring rates if i remember correctly - try contacting them maybe

your best bet for really stiff springs is goin to be koni yellows - tokico's are very good shocks jsut not sure they are as stiff as you might want. if youw ant a softer spring then they will be jsut fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arent the illumina adjustable? Are the koni yellow adjustible too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^
+rep
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top