Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suspension on left-side of my car (ever since a wheel alignment) creeks with the slightest amount of pressure/weight. I can make it "creek" by slightly pushing on the left-side of the car (by pushing on the seat or what have you). Could something like that be caused by an inproper wheel alignment? Doesn't seem like it could. Yeah, it's been really cold so I assume that has something to do with it too. Anyone have this same problem?

·
Registered
143 Posts
shouldnt be alignment...
list of suspects....
lower control arm bolts not suuuuper tight
spring on shock chaffing ( may need to add insolator
sway bar bushing needs lube
upper shock mount

what did they adjust on the alignment? toe, camber, caster?
skot

G

·
Re: Suspension "creeks"

Neolicious said:
Suspension on left-side of my car (ever since a wheel alignment) creeks with the slightest amount of pressure/weight. I can make it "creek" by slightly pushing on the left-side of the car (by pushing on the seat or what have you). Could something like that be caused by an inproper wheel alignment? Doesn't seem like it could. Yeah, it's been really cold so I assume that has something to do with it too. Anyone have this same problem?
mine creaks when ever i make a hard turn.... :roll:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here choi - whenever I make a left-turn I hear the noise.

I'm going to have Lexus take a look at it and will mention the ideas you all have...

Thanks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
You might be able to pinpoint the location of the squeek by putting the car on jack stands, then use a hydraulic jack to move the suspension up and down in the noisy area, then listen and watch for the part that makes the noise.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Neolicious said:
Same here choi - whenever I make a left-turn I hear the noise.

I'm going to have Lexus take a look at it and will mention the ideas you all have...

Thanks.
is your suspention stock? do you have the alignment print out? did the noise happen as soon as the align.?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, right after the alignment. It's annoying as hell. :) I'm getting new wheels mounted later this week (hopefully) so I'll see if my shop can take a look at it - it's possible it might just go away after the new wheels are mounted (I hope).

Werd.

·
Registered
143 Posts
with that said id say its the lower comtrol arm bushing. those have to be realllly tight. sure theres the factory torque. but the rubber bushings like to do what they want to. i work for lexus so 50% of what i do is fix little squeeks and rattles and noises that some people cant live with. i would start with that. if not i would insolant the part of the spring where it meets the shock (heater hose will do.) if that doesnt fix it lube the sway bar bushings. if it still makes noise it might be something weird. i had a 2003 GS with that same noise and i tightened all the lower suspention bolts then insulated the front springs and so on. would not go away. it ended up being the front bumper need to be tightened more :crazy: dont ask how i thought of that.
hope this rambling helps
skot
Neolicious said:
Yes, right after the alignment. It's annoying as hell. :) I'm getting new wheels mounted later this week (hopefully) so I'll see if my shop can take a look at it - it's possible it might just go away after the new wheels are mounted (I hope).

Werd.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skotown,

You're the man. You work for Lexus as a technician? Can I have your autograph? Okay, just kidding - but seriously, your post is going to help a lot as I'll have ammunition for our Lexus service dept. to take a look at it. Again, the noise started with the wheel alignment. I imagine as they were doing their "thing" under the car something came loose. It really does sound like something just isn't as tight as it should be.

Thanks, brah.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My dealership told me its a brakes and its normal.. Whatever :roll:
Just dont care anymore.. I am tire of taking in for the same problems over and over again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
mine creeks when i drive...doesn't matter left or right...i took it to the dealership 7 times. the technicians don't know what the problem is...i had 2 local shops look at it. still have noises from rear right. i had eibachs, then went back to factory springs. still the same noise..i'm guessing its a shock. i have a manuel. i think its a shock. i told em to replace it and they didn't. they will next time cause its pissing me off.

what kind of grease should i use to lub the sway bars?

another noise, i always hear a clicking noise when driving from the sunroof. its is soo annoying...i can't drive peacefully. when i turn the radio off..i hear it...its too loud. annoying..

·
Registered
311 Posts
mine creeks sometimes too....when i back up and turn and wheni am going foward and turning. i am just glad someone else mentioned this so i know that am not the only one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I took it in to the dealer. They lubed the chassis and tighten the control arms and the creaks went away....

·
Registered
143 Posts
i would say something came loose. the bushings just might need more pressure on them.
skot
the clicks in the rear when backing up and forward IS normal. the best thing to do is lube the rear pad wear it meets the shim.

Neolicious said:
Skotown,

You're the man. You work for Lexus as a technician? Can I have your autograph? Okay, just kidding - but seriously, your post is going to help a lot as I'll have ammunition for our Lexus service dept. to take a look at it. Again, the noise started with the wheel alignment. I imagine as they were doing their "thing" under the car something came loose. It really does sound like something just isn't as tight as it should be.

Thanks, brah.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys,

As a follow-up (and surprised this thread got so much attention), I just got back from my Lexus dealership (Pohanka in Chantilly, VA). The techs and service rep. explained that the control arm bushings (skot, you were right, as were others in this thread) were wearing down from the cold. He suggested having them replaced after January when the temperature begings to warm-up a little bit. He said it'll be fully covered under warranty - which was good news to my ears. The service guys at Pohanka have really been top-notch. They also ordered me a new CD changer without any questions asked - should be here in a few days.

On a side note, have you guys ever looked closely at the Lexus repair bill that we do not pay? Usually they will have me sign one copy acknowledging that I owe nothing to Lexus, and another copy that details the Lexus "foot" of the bill. I had two front headlight lenses replaced (at two different instances)...Each "bill" for this repair was over $1,000. This included the part, assembly, and labor. $1,000! I realize the headlight lenses are not cheap - but come on. Well, I just hope Lexus knows what they are doing. I can't wait to see how much they charge themselves for replacing my defunct CD changer.

The guys at Pohanka deserve a shout-out, however. They have been truly awesome.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pics

Figured I should show-off a few pics. Entirely "stock", but some parts are already on their way...

This is the elusive Auburn Sky Pearl (ASP) color. I don't see many of these on the road and I like it that way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts