Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to surf but it is really hard to fit boards in my first gen IS. I think that there are other surfers on here and i am wondering how you get your boards to the beach. Those racks that go on the roof are ok but they get sand in them and scratch up the paint and rust it (happened on my old wrx). Should i buy a beater truck or what?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd consider selling your IS sedan and buying an IS Sportcross if you don't mind an automatic trans.

Reactions: Squareback

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd go for the beater truck... plenty to be had out there for around 1K... Liability insurance might cost $100 a year...
And I don't care what they say, a two piece board isn't gonna ride the same as a traditional glass/foam board. It also is trying to be a "one shape fits all", which is always crap. West coast shapes and waves are different than east coast shapes and waves. And $1300 for an 8' funboard is just batshit crazy.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Buy some soft racks or a Yakima.

I like the SportCross idea though. ;)

I have a 6'4" Quiet Flight, that I haven't ridden in 10+ years. Probably too fat for it now.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Just hold it out the window.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
depending how long your board is you can recline your passenger's side seat as far back as it can go and put a towel down and let the board rest on it.

if that doesn't work then get the beater truck. soft racks will work, but will almost certainly scratch the paint.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ yea i always do recline the seats and put my boards up front on passanger side but when my lady or one of my friends goes with me they have to ride in the back seat and no one likes doing that. Do you think there are many sport crosses for sale in Delaware/Mid atlantic? I would love to get one.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
^^ yea i always do recline the seats and put my boards up front on passanger side but when my lady or one of my friends goes with me they have to ride in the back seat and no one likes doing that. Do you think there are many sport crosses for sale in Delaware/Mid atlantic? I would love to get one.
sportcrosses are rare in general. you may be able to find one, but it'll take a lot of looking. GL!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a pope bisect surf board. 2 pieces lock together in a matter of 2 minutes. I like it more than my old board conventional board. Why go spend $$ on another vehicle, pay for insurance etc. Check em out The Amazing Pope Bisect Two Piece Travelboard
If you take nothing else from this thread, please take that the only time you should be in possession of 2 piece board is if you snapped it in a big Nor'easter or hurricane swell. If you surf on the east coast, you know what I'm talking about. But I digress...

Schr0eder said:
I love to surf but it is really hard to fit boards in my first gen IS. I think that there are other surfers on here and i am wondering how you get your boards to the beach. Those racks that go on the roof are ok but they get sand in them and scratch up the paint and rust it (happened on my old wrx). Should i buy a beater truck or what?
Man, I have surfed for 19 years and have never been able to balance between the beach and a nice car. The beach will overtake your car every time, especially if you surf 2-3 times a week. From leaving wet towels, wetsuits, baggies, wax, etc will begin to take it's toll on your ride. If you must use your IS then I have some suggestions: 1. some sort of hard rack like Yakima or Thule 2. all weather floor mats 3. a couple of 10 gallon rubbermaid totes to store all your wet surf gear in and 4. as silly as it may seem, seat covers. Of course if you can afford a beater, then that would be the best choice. You can find something for less than $1K to get you to and from the beach.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i think im just gonna get a 88' Chevrolet S-10 with 167'xxx miles on it from my friend. he will give it to me for $300 so its whatever. the truck just got a new $8 flat black paint job so it is looking sweet. Not quite as fast as the IS from a dig but i think the top ends are comparble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts