Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Situation: Buy Boost for my IS300 vs. Buying a SupraTT 6speed

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on which to buy. Should I save to get boost or to buy a supra. Boosting I will probably spend about 5-8k on the IS300 or buying about 12K + Supra. Note that I will be using the car as daily driving. All my life I've always dream about owning a supra. I was wondering which is the better deal.

Supra - Will be buying an older car for but be getting more power.

IS300 - Love the way lexus has done to the car. From looks to comfort I am satisfied with this car.

Now I want your opinion on which to get. I am open to any opinions.

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
Totally depends on what your looking for IMO.

The IS boosted will be a nice, classy car with a little extra kick.

The Supra is mostly used as a straight up power car, not so much the classy look of the IS.

You can get a solid amount of power out of the IS when boosted and it is still a better daily driver, IMO....which is what you are going to be using it for.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I forgot to say that I have an Auto and it would be fun to drive a manual. The reason I would stay with the IS b/c of its looks and class. But do want to drive a manual. So according to what im looking for IMO both cars will look good no matter what.

IS mods: Boost, lowered, and wider tires (want to kinda be a sleeper)

Supra mods: From looks to performance.

So yea thats what I think.

·
Registered
598 Posts
you said it yourself, "according to what im looking for IMO both cars will look good no matter what." so just freakin pick one. I am so tired of "is300 or XXXX" post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thelobster said:
you said it yourself, "according to what im looking for IMO both cars will look good no matter what." so just freakin pick one. I am so tired of "is300 or XXXX" post.
Oftentimes people like to get second opinions on their decisions. Sure, in the end, the decision is yours to make, but what if there's something someone knows about your situation that you wouldn't ever think about?

Also, if you're so tired of them, why click them?

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
whats the mileage on said supra and IS? im sure your car has half the miles that the supra does, and trading in your perfectly reliable, boostable car for a car twice as old to me is an economically unsound option.

The Supra TT 6-speed is the dream car for a lot of people ( I want the '97 15th anniversary edition personally) , but its hard to give up what the IS brings to the table for what you get in return.

Besides, like OKCIS said... no half-decent TT supra goes below 25-30k min. for 12k , u might as well boost the IS ( it will end up at that, and not at 5-8k as u expect).

Keep the IS, boost it, and kill some Supra's ... that will cure the desire for one :bigSmile:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Better quality, looks and handling in a IS.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you could settle with an Auto Supra you can find one with ~100k miles for 18-20 in great condition. I miss my Supra but I don't regret selling it.

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
thelobster said:

what the hell you mean you are tired of those post? You have only been a member for 6 months max and have 250 some odd posts. Shut and and just answer the guys question...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Depends how much you love speed... My personal opinion is to get the TT. I am still considering trading in my car to get a TT but then I'd probably have to sell my All-Trac and get a beater while the TT is a weekend car.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all you guys opinion. For the price for the supra i was giving a number. I did find a very cheap TTsupra for about 10k. I didnt take it b/c it was out of the country and I wanted to see the car in person. But yes IS300 is almost similar to a Supra but a little lighter and if I go the supra route I will be getting an older car meaning I will have to replace some engine parts.
Most of you guys are choosing to boost the IS but want to hear some more opinions. I was thinking right now, boost the IS and later on in life buy a supra so then I could have both Supra and a IS.

·
Registered
223 Posts
you do realize though, with each passing day, it becomes harder and harder to secure a nice supra (nice being defined as in good condition with decent mileage). It's already near impossible to find even an auto one in some areas (such as my neighborhood in central jersey.) So buying the supra "later on in life" could become difficult.

chase your dream, man. the supra is an amazing car. and trust me, you'll turn more heads than in the is. i mean, you might feel like you're stepping down from a lexus...
but most enthusiasts with the IS (that us folks on .net here, haha) love the car so much for its performance. and i'm sure you're the same way, if you're considering the change to a supra. besides, if you don't go for it now, it'll only get harder with time.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
destiny012.....
Yea in points your right. As of now its already hard to find a decent mileage supra and in good condition. This is a very hard decision b.c I love both cars and I care for the IS.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you have spent some $$ on the IS with regards to mods, adding boost to it is better IMO rather than getting a supra then spending more $$ on moddin that too. you will be spending easy 25 to 30 on the supra plus another 50 to 10 depending on mods, so that will take you at least $35,000 into the hole. But if you spend just another $10Gs on boosting the IS, you have money to spare plus your insurance wont be so high (4dr vs 2dr) Everyone expects the supra to be fast, but a boosted IS will do just that but with more class;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Supra has been my lil bros dream, but as 2tgeu said, for his age, supra is going to kill him on insurance, and on top of that, modding it will easily cost more than what you can put into his IS. Both cars are nice, but for his age.. the IS is definitly the more practical car. I would jump on a rx7 also, which I had one before, and I miss it. But I don't regret choosing the IS over the rx7.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Having owned all 3, 94 Supra TT, 93 RX-7 and now an IS300 I will give you some advice on daily driving. The RX-7 flat out sucked for daily driving, I was always so anal about how hard I drove it and all this, as I was worried about the motor and it still popped well under 10k miles on a rebuilt motor. Supra wasn't that bad for daily driving, sucks trying to carry things and people, forget about putting anybody in the back seat. It gets a lot of looks.. from guys.. haha. That is not something I cared about but you may. Gas mileage was better than the Rx7, worse than the IS300. Daily driving with 400rwhp is a lot better than 175, but eventually I got tired of the Supra. It gave me no big problems whatsoever. Insurance was cheaper for me on the TT than the IS300. It was an auto which I got cause of the large price difference between auto and 6 speed. If you want a Supra, I would get it. You can always take good care of it and sell it for and break even or maybe even make a small profit. Prices are falling on Supras at the moment so it's not a bad time to buy one.

Any supra out of the country for 10k is a scam, guaranteed. Check supratraderonline.com, supraforums.com and perhaps autotrader (seems to be unrealistic on pricing for the most part)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts