Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the front supra brakes waiting to be installed. I'll admit that I don't fully understand the mechanics of the braking system, but I have learned that sticky tires and balanced brake bias are extremely important.

Would the addition of the rear supra brakes further balance out the system leading to stock or better performance

or

Would the addition of the rear supra brakes be too much for the stock brake system (brake master cylinder, etc..) to handle, and cause more harm than good?

I know that it will take some fabrication ($) to make them fit, so that's already taken into consideration. I like the supra brakes because I can choose to use rotors such as endless or brembos, and you can't beat toyota oem quality. Also would like something to fill out the space behind the wheels without spending 3-5 grand.

·
Registered
231 Posts
you can also consider using the LS430 rear calipers + Supra rear rotors.
This will be easier, since you only need brackets, whereas the Supra rear calipers will require a lot of machining.

BTW ... the GS and the IS rear brakes are the same and are using the same rear mounting points. A GS guy (lexforlife) on Clublexus used to have the Supra 4-pot fronts and the LS430 2-pot rears. PM me if you want to get more info on the brackets. I know a guy ;)

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
yeah i believe LS400 calipers are just as big no? and thy run about $60-$70 a piece i think...maybe less for the rears i think.

Call ALpine Auto francis, they are aboiut 50 minutes west, in Sun Valley. its a Lexus Salvage yard, if you need parts: 818 767 6841

-Aaron

·
Registered
231 Posts
no ... LS400 rear calipers are small ... you need either the Supra TT rear calipers (lot's of work required) or the LS430 rear caliper (only a bracket required).

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
yo redlex15, post some pics once your front Supra brakes are installed. :approve:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
where would one find these rear brackets? Are they the stock LS430 brackets you need or something custom?

·
Registered
231 Posts
xencloud said:
where would one find these rear brackets? Are they the stock LS430 brackets you need or something custom?

These brackets are custom brackets.
PM me for more information.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I understand that the supra calipers will require more work. However, I know someone that might be able to help. I just need to know if upgrading the rears will do more harm than good.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have always heard that Supra TT rear caliper will require more work then LS430 rear caliper... but really what is so different? It's just a brake caliper and couldn't you just make some custom caliper brackets to make the Supra TT work just like the LS430? I'm no expert but i would like to know why Supra TT ones are that much more work... instead of just people telling me they are more work...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
still looking for opinions on upgrading the rears

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have Supra TT Caliper w/ Project mu rotors the front.

with the stock rear brake, doing autoX , the rear was not holding good. Making the car very unstable on heavy braking.

What I did to correct the problem was, I replace rear rotor
to a slotted one (Brembo stock size),Steel braided line
and Endless pads.

Stock IS rear calipers are already 2 piston, so I don't see why change it.

The Supra TT rear caliper looks bigger though.

FYI

·
Registered
231 Posts
forcedIS said:
I have Supra TT Caliper w/ Project mu rotors the front.

with the stock rear brake, doing autoX , the rear was not holding good. Making the car very unstable on heavy braking.

What I did to correct the problem was, I replace rear rotor
to a slotted one (Brembo stock size),Steel braided line
and Endless pads.

Stock IS rear calipers are already 2 piston, so I don't see why change it.

The Supra TT rear caliper looks bigger though.

FYI

the stock IS rear calipers are very puny 2-pistons, much smaller than the LS430 or Supra TT. Also the IS rear pads are small, much smaller than the LS430 or Supra TT.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
that rear brake, the discs are big, but has only small braking coverage area... wtf. it reminds me of those cheapo no for good AEM 'big brake kit' which just put a larger disc and used only 1/2-1/3 of the rotors braking area. it looks like that rear brake uses the same amount of braking area as the IS300 rears.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
good point Abob....

i really DONT like the way the swept area is easily noticed on that shot of the rear rotor...

need to paint the rotor up ot the swept area so there is ONLY the swept area showing..

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
kinda of point less to go bigger, but actually you're going smaller. The point of going with a big brake kit is so you will have more area for the pad to grab onto. In this case you're only using half of the rotor's surface area, what's the point. This would only make me think that you would lose braking power then gain any.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
If the Pistons inthe LS430 caliper are BIGGEr than the OEM IS caliper What is the difference in SIZE of the PADS they each use... ?

in the pics above it looks like the caliper is fully seated on the rotor properly, so the pads have a "full purchase" of the rotor that will fit inside the caliper without the rotor edge grinding away at the central section of the inside of the caliper....... but it also looks like the LS430 pads are a TINY ass pad to only sweep the Outer 2 (?) inches of the rotor as we can see...

depending on the increae in diameter of the rotor Vs OEM size... . you COULD get more swept area even tho the pad is smaller.... but in this instance it looks like it is less actually.

The swept area of the OEM IS pad looks to be about Half an inch Deeper than what we see above....

edg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts