Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This had to be my most difficult mod I've done so far. Not so much because of its complexity but because of how stupid I was when I was doing it. :duh:

The pictures will tell the story:

Here are my beautiful brand new calipers

This is the best paint to use for spaying your calipers

New Supra rotors, SS lines and new dust covers

Finished painting and ready to install

Removing the old rotors and caliper

This is where the nightmare begins

I wanted to go the extra mile and replace the old dust covers for the new one. BIG MISTAKE! The axle was so tight insie the wheel assembly that when I was hammering it out, I stripped the axle thread!

It's bad enough that I stripped one, but being so stupid, I thought the other one wouldn't be so tight. In the end I stripped both axles! I was so pissed at myself. And of course, this was a dealer-only item so I had to wait a few days for the new axles to come in. $237 wasted because of my ignorance. Guys and gals, take it from me: If you want to so the Supra BBK upgrade, just cut the original dust covers. You'll save so much aggrevation and $$$!

Ok moving on:

New axles came in and are installed

Beautiful fit

...and viola!!! The final product:

My rims wouldn't clear the calipers so I needed 16mm spacers. It makes the tires stick out a bit. I'm not too crazy about it but oh well...

I feel a noticable difference in stopping power. I feel like I have more control when braking. So there's my story. If it wasn't for my ignorant mistake this job would've been a piece of cake. Overall, I spent about $550 for everything (calipers, rotors, SS lines, dust covers that I never used).

Sorry for all the pics. Tell me what you think. Positive comments and/or constructive critism is welcome.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Do the spacers mess with the handling feel of the car... i mean by now your front trac must be wider than your rear... have you noticed any effects of this?

It looks good though!

·
Registered
107 Posts
nice, so all that is needed is tt rotors/calipers/pads

·
Registered
827 Posts
very nice great pics im thinking of doing this mod myself +rep

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do the spacers mess with the handling feel of the car... i mean by now your front trac must be wider than your rear... have you noticed any effects of this?

It looks good though!
I haven't noticed anything yet. If there is, it's probality very minor and not noticable.

nice, so all that is needed is tt rotors/calipers/pads
TT Rotors, Calipers, pads, SS lines (optional), AND you need Fig's Supra Adapters.

do you supra brakes just bolt on like factory or is there any mods to do to them?
Yes, there is some slight modification needed. First, you need to cut the dust cover since the Supra calipers are bigger. You would also need Fig's Supra Adapters because the holes do not match up. Once you've taken care of them, then it's virtually plug-n-play.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
those DUPLI COLOR spray paint sucks ass. They spray on very thick and they won't cure properly. It takes years of heat cycling to get them to cure properly. What does that means? It will be a bitch to repaint those calipers afterwards.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much bigger are the supra brakes over stock? How much was everything ? Great job.
Thank you. I would say the supra brakes are about 50% bigger than the stock brakes. Here is the price for everything (without the mishap):

Supra calipers (new): $365/ pair
SS Lines: $60/ set
Fig's Adapters: $90/ set
Supra Rotors (Fronts): $89
Pads: $40

Total: $644

I shopped everywhere for the lowest possible price and purchased each piece seperately. I practially got this for a steal. And it's a MUCH less expensive alternative to a Brembo or Stoptech BBK kit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
those DUPLI COLOR spray paint sucks ass. They spray on very thick and they won't cure properly. It takes years of heat cycling to get them to cure properly. What does that means? It will be a bitch to repaint those calipers afterwards.
I've had no problems with this paint. They make another type where you apply on with a paintbrush. That one was horrible. The paint was waaaay too thin. It was like using watercolor. I used this spray form because of it's thickness. And even so, it still wasn't thick enough. I did 2 coats. It does take some time to fully dry but I wasn't in a rush.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you. I would say the supra brakes are about 50% bigger than the stock brakes. Here is the price for everything (without the mishap):

Supra calipers (new): $365/ pair
SS Lines: $60/ set
Fig's Adapters: $90/ set
Supra Rotors (Fronts): $89
Pads: $40

Total: $644

I shopped everywhere for the lowest possible price and purchased each piece seperately. I practially got this for a steal. And it's a MUCH less expensive alternative to a Brembo or Stoptech BBK kit.
<br>
Is there any possiblility of a rear bb swap from a supra TT? that is that cost efficient? if not what the recomended upgrade? i want stupid good brakes. for cheap. rep on the fronts! great idea!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you unstake those axle nuts when you removed them? If you didn't that is why you stripped them. You also need to stake them when you tighten them back up too, otherwise the nut is gonna back out and you'll be in deep doo doo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just looked at your pictures again since you pm'ed me. The inner race on the outside of the wheel bearing came off with the axle. I circled the part in this picture.

Since you put weight on the bearing without that race to support it, you probably destroyed it too. You are gonna have to take the hub off the car, remove the c clip in the back of it, press the bearing out, and replace it with a new one. A new bearing is probably gonna set you back $80 each. Good luck. Too bad you are on the other coast, I could give you a hand.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Nice post.

Some things i noticed.

Keeping the stock caliper paint on the caliper is only trapping heat in vs stripping and re-painting.

I powder coated a set of TT calipers a few months back, let me tell you they are a 14lb nightmare each. I s tripped off ALL of the old paint then powder coated them RED. A+ for a diy!!!

Let me see if I have any pics to post of the ones I did.

10 minutes into the bake time, as you can see some powder isn't cured yet.

In this picture you can see the masking of the areas I didn't want powder to hit.

2 hours out of the oven and still 140o TOO HOT TO TOUCH.

2.5 hours and still 109o temp, Still too hot.

Masking removed, 4 hours later 0o , I didn't powder the whole rear of the caliper, I just masked off about 80% and left what could still be seen from looking in the rim area.

All done for the set

Again final pics.

Some things I learned on this set I did.
If you aren't going to go balls out then don't go out at all. I was trying to shave these down like I do on IS300 calipers. Make them smooth, no bumps etc etc. Well at 14lbs each there is no real way to do this in a short amount of time. Your arms hurt, fingers, neck and back after just doing one caliper. Then you have one more to go. I feel with thicker mills of powder i can get rid of some bumps from the casting. Attached below are pics of the is300 calipers I did in mirror black, UV and Chemical resistant.

Stock is300 caliper with the casting marks being removed

Here you can see how they looked when they got to me.

Ill toss this in, INTAKE PLENUM :)

Final caliper installed, Id put different pics up but they need to be down-sized.

and for kicks, some powder coating i did for a friend, his hood pins and plp shift knob.

What i have learned by doing all these things on my own is, some of these items trap heat for along damn time. The stock calipers were hot for around 1.5 hours vs the TT calipers which held heat in for 3+ hours.

All in all i prefer powder coating the calipers now vs paint. I WILL NEVER PAINT ANOTHER SET.

D

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was trying to shave these down like I do on IS300 calipers. Make them smooth, no bumps etc etc. Well at 14lbs each there is no real way to do this in a short amount of time. Your arms hurt, fingers, neck and back after just doing one caliper. Then you have one more to go. I feel with thicker mills of powder i can get rid of some bumps from the casting.D
Power tools are your friend. I've smoothed a few sets of calipers using a 90 degree die grinder with a roll lock scotch-brite pad.
It made them nice and smooth and only took ~20 minutes per caliper, no sweat involved.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts