Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fellow owners and enthusiasts, now...i am constantly in defense of my IS especially when it comes to peeps who dont know what they are talkin about. However, i always run into an argument w/ the CElica GT-S. Its numbers in 1/4mile and 0-60 is a bit quicker (in some mags, yes, in others, no.) These non-enthusiasts use this stupid argument to catch me off my feet. i just use the excuse that: "the IS is not in the same category, simple as that buddy" what do u think bout that? what else could i use to support the iS? thanx guys.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Dude, I'm with ya. But there is no debate really. There's no doubt that our IS is a great car. And BMW/Benz/Audi owners agree.
Just cuz some smaller and cheaper cars beat it to 60 doesn't mean anything. Heck a Saleen Cobra may be faster than a Ferrari or Posche, but doesn't make it better.
The Germans make great cars, and the Japanese are not far behind. The IS is a great effort and the car will get better with time.
Just like other Lexus models compete with the cars in their class (and often are at the top), the IS will be neck to neck with the Germans.
So don't sweat the flames. We're not here to diss any other automaker (we all know that all three German brands are great cars), but simply to discuss our choice or soon to be choice.
So relax, don't bother defending the IS. It's a great car, and that's defense enough.
Enjoy your IS.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
398 Posts
0-60, this always seems to be the issue. I think there's a little more to a car than its 0-60 time.

Tell the guy to have fun driving straight. If driving straight is even considered "driving" that is.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
dude, its not a debate okay....the is300 is not perfroamnce oriented that it can compete with the best, and it was not designed to...there's no debate about it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
This is coming from a "knowledgable" 17-year old who doesn't have his own car but might one day be able to drive his Daddy's used M3.

--k

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
dude, its not a debate okay....the is300 is not perfroamnce oriented that it can compete with the best, and it was not designed to...there's no debate about it.
right...the is300 is a nice car, but it's not as performance oriented as some of its colleagues.

the reason for the 0-60 issues is that there is a significant degree of dissatisfaction over the lexus numbers versus the track numbers. yes, there's more to a car than straight-line speed, but power is something every sportcar driver wants.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Celica GTS may have a quicker 0-60 time when it is driven under controlled conditions by a professional driver, however, unless your friend is Juan Montoya, there's no way he's going to be able to get a 6.8sec 0-60 time with his Celica. That's because the Celica has a peaky engine and it is very difficult to keep the engine in it's powerband. Smooth and swift takeoffs aren't all that easy either.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
chiem, don't even try to tell me that the is300 is performance oriented okay? that "issue" was agreed on a whlie ago....why areyou so anal?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My friend drove his brother's new Celica GTS, and he said you do have to pull really high to get the car to go fast. I don't know how difficult it is to launch the GTS since I have never driven the car before, but if it is as difficult to launch as the Eclipse GSX, then good luck trying to reproduce that 0-60 time. That is probably the best the test driver has ever done, and if you keep on trying to repeat that time, you will probably fried the clutch in no time.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm sorry. When was it agreed upon and by whom that the IS is not performance oriented ?

--k

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
prove to me that it is designe dwith performance in mind. the car is designed to be a mix of performance/luxury.....not an all out racer

·
Registered
79 Posts
I test drove a New Automatic Transmission Celica GTS on Jult 4th. The engine is VERY peaky. 0-60 times would beat the '95 Celica GT I had at the time, but My older Celica would beat the 0-30 times, hands down. It was hot, and I test drove it, with the air conditioner on and off. With the air on ot a stop, it felt like the car was going to stall when I hit the gas. I was actually very disappointed. I loved my older Celica, and it could spin the front wheels when You tromped on the gas. I next test drove a Loaded Solara. I did like it, but the salesman treated me the worst I have ever been treated by a salesman. I guess he didnt feel a 26 year old "kid" was worth his time. It made me so mad, that I went to the Lexus dealership and put a deposit down to order an IS300.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
hey,deepcover. the same thing happen to me at Lexus dealer too.. I had to go there 3 times to finally meet a good salesman. The first 2 times they totally ignored me.. probably didn't expect a 20 yrold to buy a lexus I guess

1 - 13 of 13 Posts