Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Excellent forum you've got.

I have eventually made up my mind on what my next car is gonna be, the gorgeous IS250. But definitely after some time I will be looking for a supercharger kit for it.

As far as I can see, most people here talk about IS350 supercharging and not much about the IS250. :(

Turbo is not an answer for me. I prefer something more discreet, coz cops give us a hard time over here (Cyprus) on car modifications.

Also getting the IS350 instead is not an answer either. It’s not even available from Lexus…and if you want to see the price difference… here it is:
Lexus IS220d SE = $(US)62.500
Lexus IS250 SE = $(US)94.000

Just imagine how much would IS350 cost! … or IS-F? :p

Hopefully I will have a positive reply from someone :)

Thank you

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
there is not a lot of research on our 250 engine.I hope Somebody will do R & D until then we will see.

·
Registered
506 Posts
wow that diesel is cheap.. wouldn't it be easier to run more boost through the IS220d?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not that the diesel IS is not powerful enough.... if you compare the ratio of the 175bhp from a 2.2L engine and 205bhp from a 2.5L engine, its pretty much the same thing. Pretty impressive I can say.

But I don't want to get a diesel car again. The petrol engine, I believe, will have better potential for some extra boosting (eventually I hope).

Keeping my fingers crossed hoping for a professional IS250-specific supercharger kit, in the close future!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath... there was an IS350 supercharger kit... it was about $6000 for a whopping 13% power jump... it was discontinued as about 3 people on earth bothered to buy them... and with the IS-F avaiable there's even less reason.

There's no aftermarket engine management available (and none coming anytime soon either), and a 12:1 compression ratio so you're not able to run more than 5 lbs of boost, which doesn't do a whole lot.

TOMs -does- make an IS350 supercharger kit still, but not for the US market (since they can't do anything with the ECU)... it's possible whatever model they sell in cyprus has an ECU closer to the JDM one than the USDM one, so you might have a shot adapting that kit...best bet'd probably be to check with them, but I doubt the gains would be worth anywhere near the cost.

Much better would be the mazzuri headers, available right now for the IS250 if you don't mind deleting your primary cats, and gaining about 25hp and 31 torque, pretty close to the 13% gains discussed before, at about 1/8th the cost.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath... there was an IS350 supercharger kit... it was about $6000 for a whopping 13% power jump... it was discontinued as about 3 people on earth bothered to buy them... and with the IS-F avaiable there's even less reason.

There's no aftermarket engine management available (and none coming anytime soon either), and a 12:1 compression ratio so you're not able to run more than 5 lbs of boost, which doesn't do a whole lot.

TOMs -does- make an IS350 supercharger kit still, but not for the US market (since they can't do anything with the ECU)... it's possible whatever model they sell in cyprus has an ECU closer to the JDM one than the USDM one, so you might have a shot adapting that kit...best bet'd probably be to check with them, but I doubt the gains would be worth anywhere near the cost.

Much better would be the mazzuri headers, available right now for the IS250 if you don't mind deleting your primary cats, and gaining about 25hp and 31 torque, pretty close to the 13% gains discussed before, at about 1/8th the cost.
LMS had theirs, if thats the S/C you first talked about the 3 people. They actually had to stop producing them because they got in trouble with CARB. There not allowed as a Service center in California to change the emissions output in any way.

And I think Steve told me him self he was through with the R&D that comes along with designing something like that.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Yup, and the LMS unit was the one that was like $6000 for a mere 40 hp.

Without aftermarket engine management there's no way to run more than 5-ish lbs of boost.... not much R&D to do with that little boost, it just runs off the factory ECU.

·
Registered
107 Posts
you'd be better off with the diesel. cheaper, and way easier to get power out of. I traded off my 04 TDI jetta, I chipped it for 50 hp, and 75 ft-lb of torque-which netted, about 5 mpg more as well as making the car more kickass. I'd give my left nut for my is250 to be diesel.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
It wasn't the fact that your Jetta was a diesel that made extra power that easy, it was the fact it was a turbo.

Not that you can "chip" a 2IS regardless in the USDM.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
well im putting a 3.5L motor into my IS250
using a piggy back
i think that'll be better than the standard is250 motor lol
If you are going to use the 350 engine make sure you get the 350 stock ECU.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
If you are going to use the 350 engine make sure you get the 350 stock ECU.
and the 350 transmission, since it's not the same as the 250... and don't forget to add all the electronics for VDIM since the 350 ECU will be expecting that to exist too.

Or you could just trade in for a 350, which'd be massively cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
and the 350 transmission, since it's not the same as the 250... and don't forget to add all the electronics for VDIM since the 350 ECU will be expecting that to exist too.

Or you could just trade in for a 350, which'd be massively cheaper and easier.
Knightshade the guy lives in new zeland no 350 option only 250diesel and 250petrol.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
would the 350 engine bolt up to a 250 manual tranny?
Not sure if it would physically attach

It wouldn't run properly though since the engine computer expects to see the IS350 transmission plugged into the system.

Not to mention nobody knows if the transmission would last long with an extra 100 hp and the extra torque going to it...

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Knightshade the guy lives in new zeland no 350 option only 250diesel and 250petrol.
Then where is he getting the 350 engine from if the car isn't sold there?

If he's importing it from the US then he might as well import the whole car. At least it'd run that way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure if it would physically attach

It wouldn't run properly though since the engine computer expects to see the IS350 transmission plugged into the system.

Not to mention nobody knows if the transmission would last long with an extra 100 hp and the extra torque going to it...
are u 100% sure about this??
ive dont alot of engine conversions but never seen a ecu that needs the manual box to be acknowledged

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
are u 100% sure about this??
ive dont alot of engine conversions but never seen a ecu that needs the manual box to be acknowledged
You're confused.... it's not that the ECU needs to know the manual is there.

It's that the ECU doesn't understand why the automatic is NOT there.

It will be expecting a lot of data going back and forth with the auto. If it's not there it will freak the fuck out and either run like total crap or not run at all.

Since the ECU can not be changed there's nothing you can do to fix this.

To give you some contrast, on the 94-96 GM B-body, which only ever came with an auto, some folks have converted to the T-56 6-speed manual. The only way they were able to do this and keep the stock ECU was by flashing the ECU with programming from an F or Y body, which had the -exact same- engine but the 6-speed manual.

You don't have that option here, since not only is the ECU not flashable, you'd have nothing to flash it with since there's no "manual" programming for this engine.

Thus is the world of cars with electronically controlled transmissions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts