Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is the Eaton 4-lobe design that is going into the '09 vette... Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere else, if so I apologize for the repost.

This new impeller design has supposedly yielded 76% thermal efficiency!!! That's close to turbo efficiency without the lag! Having some fun speculating now... hehe!

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I've seen the pics from the new ZR1 that comes out of. The only thing I can think of is how we could get that under an IS300 hood.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the most imortant thing here is the impeller design...
obviously GM had Eaton custom fab a housing that is specifically for that LS9 engine... but the impellers are the most important part, not so much the housing. As you can fab a housing around the impellers to fit just about any setup.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
This is just an old school system that has been redesign. Root style blowers have been in the game years ago.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this... it just has four lobes instead of the normal two or three. I know it's not a REVOLUTION but it is an important EVOLUTION in the technology... you can't argue with 76% thermal efficiency!!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just hope this doesn't spark one of those ridiculous "Schick vs. Gillette" fights and we end up with 26 lobe compressors that don't do shit... haha... (I know it won't... just being goofy nevermind me...)

p.s. the technology was originally derived from "blowers" that were used to blow air into shipping docks to keep the water from freezing in area's where the water would normally freeze over. This technology also helped along the evolution of air compressors and then superchargers and has also changed the way carpet is cleaned, by reversing the flow of air and using the "blower" to create a "vacuum."

sorry... just bored and thought I'd through some useless info out there... enjoy your weekends peepz

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Ummm.................i don't think this isnt strictkly a "Roots" design... i dont believe Roots impeller lobes are twisted/& mesh like this ,,, they are more straight.....

THis is more a Lysholm design.... i think....

Whipple's are of this type... .BUT, they are all 3 lobe...this one is new & the 1st 4 lobe supposedly of this type.. .the whole thing is supposedly MUCH quieter & smoother by far also due to the new 4 lobe shape...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts