Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I'm fairly sure this cannot be done simply because I don't think I've ever heard of it before... But can any of the FI gurus on here explain why it's not possible to fit a supercharger AND a turbocharger on the same car - given that the SC runs on a belt and the TC off exhaust. Since it's possible (at least in many cars) to go with double turbochargers, why couldn't both a SC and TC be used?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
oh my

I am sure it could be done, but a lot of fab work.

There was a Hyundai Accent owner that did it, but he blew up a motor and crap doing it

So yeah tuning would be a biggie in the setup and getting it to act right

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
It can be done its called twin charging, some guys do it on the old supercharged Mr2s.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
They just did it to a mini cooper a couple months ago in Sport Compact Car.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
if GTE was still around he'd go into detail as it was something that he wanted to do a year or more ago. he changed his mind though. I think it would be interesting, but damn all that heat would suck. anything is possible though and it would just cost money to do it. I actually don't think it would be very tough, just a logistical nightmare under the hood. The power and response would be nice i suppose, but all that crap would be a hassle. i wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Yeah its doable, use a small turbo. sit it low.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
If you're going to twin charge it doesn't make sense to use both a turbo and a centrifugal blower... you need some sort of positive displacement setup for it to make any sense.

Not a lot of room under the IS3 hood for that plus a turbo...

·
Registered
10 Posts
just go with one turbo and a motec to run it and your set, no need for twin charging it

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
^^ whoever u are clever altnick, and its not even mine....good times...:lol:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
lol at the motec comments, I believe I saw pic's of some type of hotrod with a big blower and turbo not to mention a big shot of n20 aswell, crazy mofo.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Being an owner of an AW11 MR2 (i'm on number 8, and number seven was a SC model), back in the day HKS actually made the twin charger kit for these cars. The thing that makes it possible and a little bit more feasable, is the fact that the MR2 SC has a bypass valve to route around it, and the ability to shut the supercharger down. The Toyota SC12 (MR2), and SC14 (previa) supercharger have an air conditioning compressor style electric clutch on them. Normally the computer shuts the SC down at idle and cruise, and only engages it under heavier throttle. HKS took advatage of that and used that to shut the SC down once the turbo had reached full boost.

More recently Turbo magazine did an SW20 MR2 w/ the v6 solara swap, and played w/ different set ups on it including: supercharged, turbocharged, and twin charged. That would be a good source to see what is needed to make the whole set up work together, on an engine never designed for either. They also had full dyno sheets posted that could show you what you gain for the extra money of twin charging.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It can be done. I have seen it on an MR2 from Toysport while researching that motor to swap into my old 1991 Toyota Pickup (22re). But then I smartened up and just bought the IS :).

So ya it can be done.

Regards,
jeeka715

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Crap 2GTEU has my book, maybe he can pipe in. It has been done on a OEM car in Europe back in the day, forgot why as in what sports it pertained to, I think possibly for WRC, and I can't remember the company but I'm sure 2GTEU will pipe in.

Only reason to do it would be to have a roots type supercharger and a huge laggy turbo, but that was then, what I mean was the car was made a long time ago, when turbos spooled up slower than all hell back in those days, but had awesome top end benifits that we all know of, so they made the freak car to have both low end of a supercharger and the high end of the turbo.

With the spool rate of turbos now, I would assume people would do it now more for show and cred than to make it really make a difference at the track.

B.

*EDIT* thanks G0ddang for the post with pics, notice that its a roots type supercharger, a cintrifical would defeat the purpose. Also props the the STi guy, being factory boosted it might have costed much less than it would a NA to boosted car, and also I hear with the mani's that the Subis comes with, he could probably use the low end boost, those cars lag like a fat boy in PT class.

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
On the twin charged Mini S, the turbo was smaller than the S/C I think? And I believe the turbo fed into the supercharger, not the other way around. Its a nice concept but a bitch to actually do.

Chan

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
there is a mini cooper here that has a s\c + turbo.

he is from tsw competition i believe.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
BlacksportD is correct :) the car was an european Lancia delata s4 it had a roots type blower for low end and a k26 turbo for top end. The intake system was an intersting piece due to the 2 air to air intercoolers and the integrated bypass valve which progressively opens with regargds to the speed of the vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts