Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from California Speedway, and I saw the IS300 pace car. The car is a beauty, although I did not get a chance to see the engine. One thing I can said is that this is a U.S. spec IS300 converted to supercharge with a 5 speed manual. The reason I can tell this is because of the steering wheel, it still has the e-shift buttons. Also, the car has got really nice rims, 18" in the front and 19" in the back, and is lowered using Bilstein shock (I forgot the spring).
Anyway, when I have time later today I'll post the pictures I took.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the pictures. Note the interior isn't too clear because of the glare, but you should still be able to see the e-shift button and the 5 speed stick.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited October 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
Just got back from California Speedway, and I saw the IS300 pace car. The car is a beauty, although I did not get a chance to see the engine. One thing I can said is that this is a U.S. spec IS300 converted to supercharge with a 5 speed manual. The reason I can tell this is because of the steering wheel, it still has the e-shift buttons. Also, the car has got really nice rims, 18" in the front and 19" in the back, and is lowered using Bilstein shock (I forgot the spring).
Anyway, when I have time later today I'll post the pictures I took.
can't wait. very excited

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice pics. Any more you could post farther from the car to get a better look at it? Thanks for taking them and posting them. Would be great to have that manual right now.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, that's all the pictures I have. There isn't really anything special about the exterior except for those rims and upgraded brakes. The interior is the one that they changed most, but since windows were up and there was glare, I really couldn't take any better pictures.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check it out, TEG, CLOTH!!

So is this proof that TRD "IS" making a supercharger for the IS?

My theory is that if they have one for the Solara, then they should most definitely make one for the IS. I would bet a lot of $$ that there are more IS drivers willing to buy one than Solara drivers. It only makes economic sense to do it if it was successful with the Solara. . .

------------------
Perception IS Reality

[From TEG: My understanding is that pace cars are a special project that has little to do with the production products TRD sells to consumers. TRD/L-tuned are clearly working on "stuff" for the IS300, so we can hope that they will (someday) come out with a street legal IS300 supercharger, but I don't think the pace car is proof of anything imminently arriving for us. ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, someone said that TRD had one on the GS400 pace car 2 years ago and never released, so this does not mean TRD will release one for the IS. However, this is a pretty conservative IS as far as engine mod goes, so maybe this will eventually see the street. We'll just have to wait and see.
BTW, anyone has any idea on which 5-speed it uses? I am guessing the one from Supra NA, but maybe something else. I was ready to ask some questions about the car but I wasn't able to do that since no Toyota/Lexus rep were there.
Also, anyone know what type of BBS rims those are? they are really nice, you got to see it in person.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I called in L-Tuned and asked them when IS stuff is coming out and they said in December. All this cool stuff, but no supercharger or turbo. I think an intake is available...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but the IS300 has a TRD exhaust installed. I think they are going to sell everything that Longo had been selling as L-Tuned now, since they already have those products. I do not believe we are going to see the supercharger any time soon, although like I said earlier, anything is possible with TRD.
One side note, look at how loud the GS400 is and think whether most customers want a Lexus car that loud? If the GS is running open pipe, then that will be a different case, but if the GS is just supercharged with TRD exhaust, then I would said the car is just a bit loud for the street (but it sounded great though).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts