Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that the TRD IS Pace car is 265 hp and 245 in torque, what do you think it will do in 0-60 if it's available to the public?

Is there a car of similar weight, hp, and torque of this S/C IS? If so, what's it's 0-60??

Thanks,
J

------------------
Perception IS Reality

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am guessing low-6, depending on its gearing. The car is a strip down version of the regular IS, and the Stereo head unit has been removed and replaced with switches that I assumed are used to operate the pace car lights. But I believe the car is actually heavier than the typical IS300 though because of the roll bar Toyota added and the bigger wheels and brake system.
Well, looked at S4. It weights 3700lb w/ 250hp and AWD (usually slows the car down), and is able to rocket to 5.5s. I think it depended alot on the gearing, but I would say a low 6 is a definite.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Question: Why would a pace car need a roll bar when it never goes faster than 55? I'm not sure mind you, but I do think it's rather impossible to flip a car such as an IS doing 55...

o_O

Either way it'd never happen.... very strange indeed.. I guess they are just like well all the other cars got it so I guess we the pace cars gotta have it too

[From TEG: If you make a wild cornering maneuver, run over a tire, or get t-boned by another car then you _could_ rollover even in an IS300 under 55mph. I think it is wise to require that sort of safety equipment on the pace cars. ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I do believe they go faster than 55 mph. 50mph is the speed limit in the pit, and there is no way they are only going 55mph. And the other thing is that they do take sponsors and celebrities around the track with pace cars, and when they are doing this they usually go for the top speed or at least near it. Trust me, they may seen slow compared to Champ Cars (Gil De Ferran just broke the record with a 241.428mph lab today), but they are definitely not that slow. Oh one more thing, Champ Car cannot generally run last than 60mph on this and Michigan track, it is not safe at all at that speed.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Thats a roughly 23% increase in power and 12% increase in torque.

So maybe it would improve acceleration (power:weight) by 20% - so that would get the auto down around 6.0 sec (0-60).

Plus - they swapped the auto for a manual, and perhaps gained another 1/2 second, so I would say that they have made a car capable of 0-60 in 5.5-6.0 seconds...

From what I understand, the pacecar is a custom special production that has little to do with any product they would actually sell to the public.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
yes, pace car are specially constructed car, mostly done by PPI in Rancho Santa Magarita. They are pretty much stock except for a few engine and suspension and safety modification so they can lead the Champ Cars.
BTW, don't bother watching the race if you want to see the IS, they did not use it for some reason.

·
Registered
323 Posts
besides looking cool, roll cages provide a lot of structural strength. they cause the body to flex less, resulting in a stiff chassis able to take on corners with low body roll. the roll cage in addition to sway bars and suspension components is a great addition. although it will be kinda hard for passengers to get in.

mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts