Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've been dealing with my sticky dash for a few months now and I just figured out the 100% way to fix it.

Ready? Here Goes-

So, when I was taking my center console out, I decided to see what I could do about the small amount of sticky dash around the shift knob. I grabbed my acetone and some cotton swabs and started to scrub away. Very shortly, I found that the cotton swab was taking off the sticky VERY WELL but in such small quantities... So I did what any car person would do and ruined a microfiber!

Be very careful with the acetone through this whole process!!! I recommend wearing disposable gloves
STEPS:
1. 2-3 bottles of acetone from Wal-mart is sufficient for the whole dash
2. Get a deep, glass or metal (NO PLASTIC) bowl, fill it up only part of the way. This is important so that you don't splash some out and waste it OR let it evaporate in any kind of heat.
3. Pick out 4 or 5 microfiber cloths you're ready to part with.

If you are attempting this INSIDE the car, get BIG towels that can be messed up (or more microfibers) so you can protect your interior. I highly recommend taking the whole dash out so you can have a hayday with it.

4. Dip your microfiber in the bowl (not dripping wet, but wet enough) and begin to scrub the dash. Do small sections at a time so acetone is not dripping down anywhere, and periodically stop to let the area dry (takes a second) to see if there's any more "sticky" to get off. DO NOT keep scrubbing if you can touch it with your bare hand and no black comes off on you.
5. Repeat until full dash is wiped clean!
6. Clean with a protect-ant or sealer.
7. DONE! put your dash back in and never deal with the pain of sticky dash again!

DISCLAIMER: Acetone is very flammable, and it is SUPER easy to mess something up with just a drop. Please do this at your own risk on top of a sheet or in the grass so you don't mess up your driveway or a table. The sticky dash liquefies with the acetone and WILL stain your hands. it's been one week and my fingers finally are rid of black goop.

REMEMBER: Acetone melts plastic so make sure when cleaning off the goop, that you are not using anything with bristles or sharp that could scratch into the plastic itself because it will mess it up! Be soft on your dash and it will come out a beautiful piano black underneath!

Unfortunately I do not have pictures of my process, but what I do have is two more sticky dashes ready to be stripped! Comment below if you'd like to see a picture by picture process in the future!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Please post pictures! My 2004 has the sticky dash pretty bad so I would be wiling to try the acetone if I saw some before and after pics....

·
Registered
568 Posts
I used Acetone to strip both of the Altezza dashboards i have done, personally i didn't like the colour it ended up (mix of grey, faded black and the airbag was a darker black as it is a different plastic) so i used a vinyl dye after to get it all even. The Acetone works great, strips off the goo pretty easy and didn't do any damage to the plastic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used Acetone to strip both of the Altezza dashboards i have done, personally i didn't like the colour it ended up (mix of grey, faded black and the airbag was a darker black as it is a different plastic) so i used a vinyl dye after to get it all even. The Acetone works great, strips off the goo pretty easy and didn't do any damage to the plastic.
I wonder if you could tape off the upper dash (or if it would leave fucked up residue) and just apply this to the rest of it. Like right in front of passenger, center console, around shifter etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I work in an office and I can barely remember to take pictures when I am inside my car (my drive home is two mins, I just want to get out and RELAX) but the color I got under my sticky dash was a beautiful black, I know that if you scrub too hard that you will get the faded black/ugly gray. Which is why I said in my post to keep checking the consistency of the dash cause you'll scrub the paint right off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts